Other Transfers and Rumours Summer 2017

Villaphan04

50m?!?

Jesus christ Premier League football is getting stupid. For all the money in the division it just means that above average players are going for astronomical fees. I'd be looking abroad.

I posted in premier league thread but they have said there are big fears clubs could go bankrupt in english football in years to come. with stupid money like 50m on average players I would not be surprised. 

I mean Sigurdsson is one of the best CAMs in the league. I think only 2 players got more assists than him in all 5 major European leagues...and that was in a relegation threatened Swansea team. If other worse players are going for crazy fees, I don't see what's wrong with Swansea adjusting their asking price accordingly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Swansea reject a 40m bid for Gylfi as they want £50m. Christ alive. Not sure which element of that is more absurd, the bid the rejection, the demand or the clubs involved!

Its just pure madness. When £40 mil cant buy you a player of his ilk then its all gone way too far

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I posted in premier league thread but they have said there are big fears clubs could go bankrupt in english football in years to come. with stupid money like 50m on average players I would not be surprised. 

They won't because FFP (the Premier League version) means clubs have to balance their books in each 3 year cycle (assessed annually).

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

They won't because FFP (the Premier League version) means clubs have to balance their books in each 3 year cycle (assessed annually).

I think there will come a time ( it already has for me ) when more and more people will turn off. It will likely be a gradual process though so hopefully clubs will cut their cloth accordingly the more the TV deal dwindles. That is what I hope anyways but this is just utter shit now.

• Like 1

People are turning off and the money is still going up...I'm not sure what the exact figures are but sky reported something like a 14% drop in viewing figures last season and then paid 30% more for the next set of tv rights

its madness

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

People are turning off and the money is still going up...I'm not sure what the exact figures are but sky reported something like a 14% drop in viewing figures last season and then paid 30% more for the next set of tv rights

its madness

Yes was having this same conversation today. It's gone from virtually everyone I know having sky to hardly anyone. Yet still the money for TV rights gets higher and higher incredibly quickly. Not sure how that all adds up. 

Swansea staying in the prem is worth more than £40 mil. If they sell Sigurdsson, they are as good as relegated. Just because they have money, doesn't mean they can replace a player of that caliber. We had the Benteke money but struggled to recruit players since we were a relegation candidate. 

• Like 1

What would £40m mean to Swansea? Lose their best player and risk reegation by signing 3 or 4 others that could be complete flops? Fees are never about what the player is worth to the buying club, it's what he's worth to the selling club.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I would welcome it!

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

its madness

That's just the factor of us not being in the prem ;)

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The amount of money in football is a huge turn off for me now. I mean, football has always been very well paid in the 'Sky era' but the last couple of years it has gone insane. Especially when you compare it to the economic situation for most regular people - pay freezes, the salary cap, behind inflation rises. Most people are worse off than a few years ago. Footballers have probably quadrupled their wages in that time. I don't blame them, I'd be making hay while the sun brightly shone as well, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth, especially as the product on offer, IMO, is far weaker than it was 10 years ago. 

This. It could be somewhat justified if the game was as exciting as the money suggests. But for it to be even worse than it was when there was way less money is almost offensive.

• Like 1

I wonder if there will be a type of "collapse" in terms of football clubs. All these huge transfer fees and wages are being funded off tv deals and sponsors, but not actually supporters. No way would Bournemouth be able to afford Defoe, Wilshire, and Ake if it were not for tv deals. This cannot be sustainable can it? 

I don't watch it at all. As I said in another thread, I didn't watch a single minute of PL football last season and won't do this season. 

There are plenty of people that will though, and then complain about how rubbish it is and how much players earn. The simple solution is not to bother watching it. (Unless we go up of course)