Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

17 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Yes, there is some real talant there, it would be great to get one or two on loan to give us some depth his season.

I'm not suggesting Woodman, the keeper, as we need more experience in there, but he had a stormer. Some great keeping, and the penalty save was cracking, with a good strong hand diving the wrong way. 

2 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I'm not suggesting Woodman, the keeper, as we need more experience in there, but he had a stormer. Some great keeping, and the penalty save was cracking, with a good strong hand diving the wrong way. 

I agree, he had a great game and he may well kick on to be a great keeper... I think we tried inexperience with Gollini and Johnstone (and to fair Johnstone did OK towards the end of the season) but I would like and old head there to shore things up.

Josh Onomah in midfield had a good game too I thought, seems quite mature for his age too at 20. Played a few times for Spurs last year in the PL... could be great to get him in on loan. Pocchetino likes youth though so might be harder than prising players from, say Chelsea or Man City.

43 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Having just watched the u20 World Cup final there's a few players worth considering on loan in there. The likes of Cook and Onomah looking very accomplished and great on the ball. Solanke also just getting his move to Liverpool might be available on loan. 

.....and so does probably about half a dozen Premier League clubs.

Tomori was on loan at Brighton the season just gone, so there is a chance we could get one or two good youngsters.

There is a hierarchy though you are right, the loan market would be a good way to build at a relatively low cost, fingers crossed we can get a few good players.

• Like 1

OK giddy-up Villa scouts!

Jakob Johansson who I mentioned in a previous post is rumored to Club Brugge (Belgium) for a measly £2.5m.

For that kind of money we absolutely must try and sign him.

Here are some players released from their PL clubs... could there be anyone amongst that lot that are any good? 

Link to Mirror Sport

Here is the full retained list of the 17 Premier League clubs who avoided relegation last season, ahead of the 2017/18 campaign.

Also, Glen Whelan is captaining Ireland atm vs Austria. If anyone is interested in watching. 

On Sunday, June 04, 2017 at 17:35, bobzy said:

Whelan given 3/10 by irish sporting website balls.ie . Thought that was generous.  Watched the game as im irish.  Terrible. A nothing player. Please don't be blinded by the fact he has premier league experience.  Telling ya, he'll struggle.  I'd be more inclined to back tshibola or lyden. 

11 minutes ago, thabucks said:

So whealan's legs are going or gone, his passing is shit, he is probably on circa £40k and according to Bruce he is an answer to our promotion quest and lack of creativity.

We have wasted a huge opportunity to rebuild the club. I despair, I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see us getting promoted anytime soon as long as Bruce & Wyness are around. 

I'm probably being really picky here, but it really irks me listening to Wyness interviews where he refers to The Premier League as "The Premiership". It was rebranded in the early 2000s yet 15 years later he still hasn't got with the times. He either lacks intelligence or is a complete dinosaur.

• Like 1

Up the other end today though Walters gave another tireless performance and took his goal very well indeed.

That's the sort of short term signing people would probably turn their nose up but at this level he would be a superb foil for Kodjia.

I just assume Hogan could do the pressing forward role for the money we paid but so far he's been very lightweight upfront and seems to only want to be involved on the 6 yard box to poach a goal.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Up the other end today though Walters gave another tireless performance and took his goal very well indeed.

That's the sort of short term signing people would probably turn their nose up but at this level he would be a superb foil for Kodjia.

I just assume Hogan could do the pressing forward role for the money we paid but so far he's been very lightweight upfront and seems to only want to be involved on the 6 yard box to poach a goal.

I love Walters he is an honest lad and puts more than an effort in but I do think his legs are going soon and wouldnt be able to do it for 46 games

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

So whealan's legs are going or gone, his passing is shit, he is probably on circa £40k and according to Bruce he is an answer to our promotion quest and lack of creativity.

We have wasted a huge opportunity to rebuild the club. I despair, I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see us getting promoted anytime soon as long as Bruce & Wyness are around. 

Is this based on tonights(1) game or?

So many people suggesting Joe Hart. I don't get it. Did I miss the memo? 'Joe Hart: he's Isco for 2017'?

'Molly, get me Simon Amstell on line 1. No, that's not enough. Better, get me the ghost of Sid James. This is going to have to be the cheekiest bid we've ever made . . .'

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Junxs said:

I'm probably being really picky here, but it really irks me listening to Wyness interviews where he refers to The Premier League as "The Premiership". It was rebranded in the early 2000s yet 15 years later he still hasn't got with the times. He either lacks intelligence or is a complete dinosaur.

Yep you're. It happens on every radio/tv station and with current managers/players. It's just kind of stuck even though the change happened long ago.

I guess you just don't like him, because it doesn't make any person stupid or behind the times. It's just a word for a league that has been around a long time.

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

So many people suggesting Joe Hart. I don't get it. Did I miss the memo? 'Joe Hart: he's Isco for 2017'?

'Molly, get me Simon Amstell on line 1. No, that's not enough. Better, get me the ghost of Sid James. This is going to have to be the cheekiest bid we've ever made . . .'

I think the reason people keep mentioning him is:

1) We desperately need a new keeper this summer, without someone good in goal we will probably not get promoted. A good goalkeeper will earn you points. Simple as. As identified by I think EVERYONE this is the first target position. If we only got a goalkeeper this summer, it will still be OK.

2) Joe Hart is clearly unwanted at Man City. Given that the have just signed another keeper on top of Bravo and whilst Caberrello (sp?) has been released, this would still mean Hart is likely no 3, or no 2 at very best. He will be moving in the summer. 

3) However, there does seem to be a lack of options for him. Liverpool seemed the ideal choice but they don't seem interested. Whilst there are a lot of clubs, when there appears to be a "come get me, anyone!" plea from him it does seem no others have been made. As such, he *may* be tempted to come.

4) He is clearly the best keeper on the market at the moment. All other targets we have been linked with are not as good as he is. Yes his England performances have raised questions (not watched so taking that from comments and opinions of others) but he would easily be the best option for Villa. He is therefore someone that Villa should be going for.

5) The difficultly is whilst he would get first team football, would he be willing to drop down a league? How much wages would he be willing to lose? Given he played for Torino last year, I don't think it's too far fetch to think he would play for Villa. However I can see the wages being a problem.

6) Even if he was willing to come to Villa, he would easily replace the first choice keeper at most premier league clubs. It only takes 1 of them to look to upgrade for him to be more tempted IMO. 

So yes, I think it's merited that Hart is mentioned, it is a transfer "speculation" thread and I can see a cheeky bid wouldn't harm would it? 

However it is wholly unrealistic to expect him to come here. His wages and a better offer will probably materialise. His move should remain of interest however, because wherever he goes may create a knock on. There is no team obviously looking for a keeper but he would take the no 1 shirt. This would mean current no 1 looking elsewhere and maybe a more obtainable target for Villa. 

Thats why Hart is suggested/a person of interest, even if he doesn't end up at Villa.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I can see a cheeky bid wouldn't harm would it? 

However it is wholly unrealistic to expect him to come here.

This is the important part of your post. Since it is, as you say, 'wholly unrealistic' to even imagine the idea (the guy is trying hard to retain his status as England Number 1!) then talking about a 'cheeky bid' is a waste of time. 

7 hours ago, skarroki said:

but there's a good chance he'd like to play at a big club like Villa and could see himself settling here and see us as a premier league side in a matter of time. 

There's a 0% chance of that being the case. He'll only be moving to another premier league club or abroad again. Why do people suggest names of players we have no chance of signing? It's not hard to be realistic about transfer targets.

• Like 2