Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

John Terry, even at 36, would be an immense signing. Absolute leader and winner, and never had he relied on pace, so would still offer a great deal to us in the Championship. 

Can't see it unfortunately, as it's most likely a case of making a story out of the golfing picture, does that mean Alex Bruce is coming too?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Can't see it unfortunately, as it's most likely a case of making a story out of the golfing picture, does that mean Alex Bruce is coming too?

Absolutely 100% this. piss poor but not even slightly unexpected

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I hate Terry but he'd be a coup at this level.

Can't see it being more than made up nonsense from that rag though

Thissety this this.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Am I the only one kind of glad that we would be seen as beneath Joe Hart, because I don't actually think he's any bloody good?

The accolades he continues to get from British media and pundits, to me smacks of the fact that they've spent years wanking themselves silly over him and that it would now be a massive climb-down if they were to admit they were wrong.  He's over in Turin now and none of the elite sides in England want him, including his parent club.  West Ham are the latest link.  In a way he personifies England's international failings.  He is mediocrity that gets lauded and then found out, but persisted with nonetheless.

Totally agree.  After the weekend, I'd be surprised if he ever plays for England again as well.  He was apparently pretty poor for Torino last season.  We're probably his level these days, but I think he's done now - would be an expensive mistake.  

And thankfully is also very unlikely.

But I would take Terry - objectionable man that he is.

Whelan and Terry.

This club is screwed if this is true. Both are past their best.. we should be building for the future not trying to get a quick fix that will likely not work. These players would just be coming for one last pay check. Its going to be Lescott all over again. Have we learnt nothing?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Cannot see how Terry would have any genuine enthusiasm for any other club at this stage of his career. Money pure and simple. 

Terry seems to me that he isnt driven just by money. He loves winning too

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Terry seems to me that he isnt driven just by money. He loves winning too

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Well, then he is definitely not coming here.

I laughed more than I should have :crylaugh::(

• Like 1

Terry and Whelan - Why are we looking at two guys at the end if their careers?

Steve Bruce all over, tried and tested players. I'm sorry, but this is short sighted and narrow minded. If you're old in the premier league, you're old in the championship.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Can't believe some fans are turning their noses up at John Terry.

The blokes a pillock and past his best, but he'd still be a great capture for us.

If Terry is one of 4/5 players in and the others are a mix of in their prime and younger prospects, I'd be fine with that.  It needs to be a balance.  

If it's Terry and Whelan and a couple of other old knackers - not so much.

• Like 1

If we do sign Terry, perhaps we could copy Chelsea's title winning 3-4-2-1 formation from last season?

If it's true we're looking to sign a few quality players to go straight into the first team, then along with JT, a new keeper and creative AMC could set us up nicely... with an embarrassment of riches on the bench.

Plus this type of formation could be very flexible - for example, switch Jedinak for say Adomah and it quickly switches to a 4-4-1-1.

lineup.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, KSV said:

Whelan and Terry.

This club is screwed if this is true. Both are past their best.. we should be building for the future not trying to get a quick fix that will likely not work. These players would just be coming for one last pay check. Its going to be Lescott all over again. Have we learnt nothing?

Pretty much this. Villa's back four are already good enough to get out of the Championship so Terry isn't needed and neither is Whelan for that matter. Promote Lyden to sit in front of the back four or Thor with Jedinak as cover if money is tight.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

If we do sign Terry, perhaps we could copy Chelsea's title winning 3-4-2-1 formation from last season?

If it's true we're looking to sign a few quality players to go straight into the first team, then along with JT, a new keeper and creative AMC could set us up nicely... with an embarrassment of riches on the bench.

Plus this type of formation could be very flexible - for example, switch Jedinak for say Adomah and it quickly switches to a 4-4-1-1.

lineup.jpg

under a more progressive tactically astute manager then yeah maybe. Under Bruce you have no chance as it deviates too far from his favoured old school non tactical anti football approach. 

Terry would be a yes from me btw. 

Edited by thabucks