Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

Would rather have Rooney than Terry. £10 mil for the year and a guarantee to play every game he wants  would be money far better spent than some of the shite we have bought over the past few years.

Not going to happen though but i guess Terry won't be happening either

8 hours ago, Bomvilla7 said:

I laughed more than I should have :crylaugh::(

So did Michael Gray today on Talksport when asked about how likely it was that Terry might join us :angry:. No doubt he would have felt Sunderland was a more likely destination for him! I can't see him joining us either I think he was just up for a game of golf but I have no problems with us being linked with him it might even tempt other players to think about a move to us on loan in the short term.  

16 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He played just 14 games last season. He turns 37 this year. 

Is he really going to be up for a 46 game, tough season in the championship? 

The cons far outweigh the pros on this one. I really hope Dr T hasn't let Bruce convince him on the players we need to sign. 

Terry and Whelan. Good lord. 

Will probably sign a 2 year deal too and we be stuck with his wages... Its Lescott all over again. Hes finished.. theres a reason why not many clubs want him. 

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Even at 37 Terry would be one of the best defender in this league. This is one of the best English defenders in history we are talking about.  

I doubt very much this could happen unless he very much wants to stay in the country and we are the closest club he can find too London. Would still be shocked. 

Nah but him, along with players like Ibrahimovich, and Costa are "pricks", so certain Villa fans wouldn't want them.:rolleyes:, If their was a dimension they would be willing.

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He played just 14 games last season. He turns 37 this year. 

Is he really going to be up for a 46 game, tough season in the championship? 

The cons far outweigh the pros on this one. I really hope Dr T hasn't let Bruce convince him on the players we need to sign. 

Terry and Whelan. Good lord. 

Isn't that Bruce's job?

I'm slightly suspicious of the Terry rumours. 

He's not been inundated with offers so needs his name banding around. 

Likewise, its positive for Villa to be linked with such a player and a bit of a 'remember us?' to the media. 

I feel its just mutual free promotion for both parties concerned, that will result in Terry getting a move elsewhere and hopefully us able to attract 'better' players (as 'Terry was interested' in signing etc)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You realise The Sun have made this story up don't you?

So far Bruce's signings have been:

Hogan, Bree, Hourihane, Lansbury, Bjarnasson, Taylor and Johnstone.

The oldest of whom is 28. And more than half are or were widely regarded as very good young prospects at this level at least. 

But yeah, sure. Because the sun have made up a story about John Terry suddenly Bruce is going to do long term damage because he wants to sign 35 year olds. 

Jesus wept.

Well we are after Whelan it seems and Alan Nixon has a decent record with transfer info. 

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nah but him, along with players like Ibrahimovich, and Costa are "pricks", so certain Villa fans wouldn't want them.:rolleyes:, If their was a dimension they would be willing.

What has zlatan or Costa done to match the level of Terry?

You're confusing being a bit of a tit on the pitch with being an absolute word removed of a human being. 

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You realise The Sun have made this story up don't you?

So far Bruce's signings have been:

Hogan, Bree, Hourihane, Lansbury, Bjarnasson, Taylor and Johnstone.

The oldest of whom is 28. And more than half are or were widely regarded as very good young prospects at this level at least. 

But yeah, sure. Because the sun have made up a story about John Terry suddenly Bruce is going to do long term damage because he wants to sign 35 year olds. 

Jesus wept.

You are aware its being widely reported by the media?

Also wyness has commented on this so its not made up at all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No don't be daft. If you acknowledge that you can't take the high ground to have a go at fans. 

As you say it's widely reported and our chief exec spoke about it last month. It might not come off but the fact this is a deal we are after along with whelan really concerns me. 

• Like 2

Whether the rumours are true or not, personally, I wouldn't want a 37 year old John Terry playing for us. I would rather have us sign a younger centre back that can take us up and become a decent centre back at PL level. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No don't be daft. If you acknowledge that you can't take the high ground to have a go at fans. 

As you say it's widely reported and our chief exec spoke about it last month. It might not come off but the fact this is a deal we are after along with whelan really concerns me. 

It's hardly taking the high ground - your initial post stated that Bruce is doing long term damage by signing over 35 year olds and failing to get us promoted next season.

Absolutely none of this has happened.

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's hardly taking the high ground - your initial post stated that Bruce is doing long term damage by signing over 35 year olds and failing to get us promoted next season.

Absolutely none of this has happened.

Well of course not. It's my opinion on what may happen and my cause for concern about it. 

If we could only talk about things that have actually happened there wouldn't be many posts made on this forum. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Well we are after Whelan it seems and Alan Nixon has a decent record with transfer info. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Even if it's true (and I actually think it would be a good signing if it is, as much as I dislike Terry as a person) it doesn't really change the point I was making. Bruce made 7 signings in January who were ALL young signings, and most of whom have a long future in the game.

But because he signs one or two more experienced players suddenly he's putting the club in danger because of who he's signing.

It's the usual overreactions from those desperate to have a go at Bruce at any opportunity.

• Like 4

Unfortunately we don't have the money available this season to be buying in the best of the young players from the Championship and so free transfers are going to be required to strengthen the squad this season.

John Terry is would be a great leader for the club and be a monster in this league. Granted he won't play every game but Chester & Baker worked well last season and will be solid enough.

We could do a lot worse than Terry & Whelan for a minimum fee on a years contract each. Once we are back in the Premiership we will then have funds available to strengthen the side in the way we all want us to.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It's hardly taking the high ground.

Like I said, if both Whelan and terry sign, you'd still be ignoring all the signings he's already made for us and focusing on the two experienced heads he's looking at.

Why don't the signings we've ACTUALLY made under Bruce give a stronger indication of the player he likes as opposed to the ones we're linked with? Doesn't this indicate you're just focusing on the signings that suit your usual agenda?

Surely if you look at the signings as a whole, it would indicate that bruce is favouring young, highly rated prospects, with a couple of experienced heads in there too.

Is that such a crazy transfer policy?

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It's hardly taking the high ground.

Like I said, if both Whelan and terry sign, you'd still be ignoring all the signings he's already made for us and focusing on the two experienced heads he's looking at.

Why don't the signings we've ACTUALLY made under Bruce give a stronger indication of the player he likes as opposed to the ones we're linked with? Doesn't this indicate you're just focusing on the signings that suit your usual agenda?

Surely if you look at the signings as a whole, it would indicate that bruce is favouring young, highly rated prospects, with a couple of experienced heads in there too.

Is that such a crazy transfer policy?

I'm a big fan of who he signed in janaury. Lansbury is right up there with my favourite players. And yes overall signing a couple of older players doesn't represent the whole of his transfer policy. 

My concern is that firstly failure to get promoted next season is going to damage us and adding expensive wages with no re sale value is going to do even more damage to us with FFP issues. Which ultimately will lead to making promotion even more difficult. 

Now I might be completely wrong and Terry leads us back to the prem but I have serious concerns and doubts about it. 

To me these kind of players suggests Bruce realises after the failure of last season he's running out of time. So he's going after the type of players he doesn't have to coach and develop, it's a desperate move IMO and like I said I think the cons outweigh the pros. 

Hopefully there will be a mix of signings but from the rumours so far I think it is fair to have concerns. 

• Like 1