Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

As mentioned in the Xia thread, he has just started following Zlatan on twotter.

Edit: just checked and Zlatan was on 300k per week at Man Utd... we probs can't afford that.

Edited by alreadyexists

Sooo the doctor's started following Zlatan on twitter and Steve's off playing golf with John Terry... if we didn't know better this would be exciting!

Just for fun, say we defied the odds and somehow managed to sign them both for next season - would it pretty much guarantee promotion?

7 hours ago, thabucks said:

So if rumours are to be believed we are shipping out Tish, a young player with potential and replacing him with 33 yo past his prime Glen Whealen to rotate with 33 yo Jedinak and poss Gardner..... and some posters still don't get why some of us despise Bruce and want him gone ASAP. 

If Whealan is the answer what the duck is the question. 

'despise'? 

no I don't get why you 'despise' a football manager. There's actual evil in the world you know. 

2 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Sooo the doctor's started following Zlatan on twitter and Steve's off playing golf with John Terry... if we didn't know better this would be exciting!

Just for fun, say we defied the odds and somehow managed to sign them both for next season - would it pretty much guarantee promotion?

No

Bruce would have to teach Terry to hoof and expect Zlatan to chase the hoofs

31 minutes ago, striker said:

Granted but would you not want a younger more skilful energetic player than Whelan as first choice with Jedinak as backup rather than having two players nearing retirement vying for the same position? Whelan would be an awful agricultural, prehistoric signing to add to the other signings of the same ilk Villa have made over the years. 

Why can't we just find a younger Whelan? What have these new scouts been doing? 

• Like 2

The fact that we are sensibly trying to spend money and get a decent player who would give his all for less than a £1m is a very welcome relief. Would much rather spend 800k on Whelan who would no doubt do a job for us over a 46+ game season is far better than spending whatever silly sums we spent on Holman, Sanchez, etc. who either turned out shite or just got loaned out

• Like 1

Vurnon Anita anybody ? Don't know too much about him but just seen he has been released by to the Toon. Anybody know if he is any good or is he a poor mans Bacuna ;) 

With regards to Whelan I'd be all for his signing if we didn't already have Jedinak. Too ageing DM on huge wages just smacks of bad business. I thought we were supposed to be rebuilding the club anew not repeating past mistakes of over paying for players on their way down. This is this my issue with Wyness and Bruce. Too cautious and old skool. 

I've always liked Glenn Whelan as a player, very hard working and an established Premier League footballer.  The problem is that his legs have gone and he doesn't cover as much grass as he used to. But I don't think it will matter that much in the Championship . Steve Sidwell and Joey Barton did a job so this could work in our favour.