Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

Joe Ledley just been released by Palace. Better than Whelan?

I'd say different kind of player and no.

Ollie Watkins from Exeter, can play up front or on the right. Quick , good feat a team player and can score.

Wouldn't think he would cost more than 3 million at most. A deal which also loans out a couple of our young players to them would be ideal.

They play good football and have a decent manager so that will help.

• Like 1

As much as i understand the worry over signing a 33 year old midfielder, didn't he play 30+ games in the Premier League last season? If he signs a 2 year deal i don't see the harm as long as his wages aren't massive.

• Like 4

A 32 year old Joey Barton helped Burnley to promotion in 2016, I think ability and experience has its place along side youth. 

Can't stand Joey Barton but he wasn't a terrible footballer, just a complete nob.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

As much as i understand the worry over signing a 33 year old midfielder, didn't he play 30+ games in the Premier League last season? If he signs a 2 year deal i don't see the harm as long as his wages aren't massive.

Well that's the thing, or part of it.

He'll likely want at least a 2 year deal as it will be his last.

Jedi is on a reported £55 K/w, Whelan I imagine will want something similar.

Can't see them playing together in a functioning midfield, and even if they do that leaves Lansbury and or Hourihane who I rather see play, on the bench.

So that's a very expensive back up or a painfully slow midfield.

Now if we were to get rid of Jedi (which I'd be fine with) then it's another story.

But I still like us to go for other targets.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Well that's the thing, or part of it.

He'll likely want at least a 2 year deal as it will be his last.

Jedi is on a reported £55 K/w, Whelan I imagine will want something similar.

Can't see them playing together in a functioning midfield, and even if they do that leaves Lansbury and or Hourihane who I rather see play, on the bench.

So that's a very expensive back up or a painfully slow midfield.

Now if we were to get rid of Jedi (which I'd be fine with) then it's another story.

But I still like us to go for other targets.

2 year deal would be fine by me but no longer than that.

For me it comes down to wages. If as you say he wants the same/similar money as Jedi then i'd rather those wages were spent elsewhere.

I feel like Jedinak will be used more next season in defence so maybe we can still accommodate both players? 

2 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

Personally, Aiden McGeady would be a good signing......... always like him, and never really understood why everyone hates him........... one of the players who everytime I see him play he seems to play well and cause problems........

In my view he is one of those players who seems to cause problems but never actually does anything, he rarely scores, rarely provides a killer ball. He's a five a side player, a Jack Grealish with an extra trick.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Rock in the midfield to cover Jedi - Thor

Tricky number ten to add creativity - Gil

I'm pretty sure Thor is an attacking player predominantly, his last game for us he got into some very good scoring positions. I think he'll have a big impact this season and get 10+ goals.

Gil doesn't want to be here and isn't coming back.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not true, Thor is a left back, no, wing back, no, defensive midfielder, no, winger, no, box to box/attacking midfielder.

Ha ha. That first game he was all over the place, I'm sure it was just a case of trying too hard. Fingers crossed he's a good player for us this year.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That would be funny, if the statement in question wasn't "NOT SURE WHY PEOPLE WANT ANY OF THESE OLD PLAYERS BACK?".

No one said anything about them coming, the question was about why anyone would want any of our old players back.

And why is that?