Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

12 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39631329 Max Gradel could be leaving Bournemouth. Just what we need on the wing? Issues; high wages, he's 29 and he has not played very much football this season. Plus points; proven at this level and above, can be a travel buddy with Jimmy Danger (you know? YEAH) for Ivory Coast games, would give us more options on the wing where we don't have fantastic depth.

Tricky one to call. 

Sounds a bit like our last signing from them which did not go quite as well as had been hoped. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Injuries would be the main worry for me here. Didn't he do cruciate and he's struggled since then?

Not sure about his injuries but he hasn't played a lot. I'm probably leaning more to not wanting us to sign him when all is said and done. Can't think of a good winger who is young, hungry, making the step up etc. 

Someone like Marcus Maddison would be the sort of signing I'd be looking at. Winger. Peterborough aren't going up but for the past 2 seasons he's stepped up from the National League and contributed plenty of goals and assists. 23 years old, probably cost about £1m-£2m tops, the guy is class. 

Pace, power, size, directness, tidy on the ball, composure, sound technique striking a ball, young. Him and Green on both wings would be quite nice and something to build on. 

Obligatory YouTube clip....

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Someone like Marcus Maddison would be the sort of signing I'd be looking at. Winger. Peterborough aren't going up but for the past 2 seasons he's stepped up from the National League and contributed plenty of goals and assists. 23 years old, probably cost about £1m-£2m tops, the guy is class. 

Pace, power, size, directness, tidy on the ball, composure, sound technique striking a ball, young. Him and Green on both wings would be quite nice and something to build on. 

i remember a few talking about him earlier this year. He would fit the mould of the type of player that we should be signing imo. 

On 18/04/2017 at 09:24, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not even sure the starting midfield of Lansbury, Hourihane and Jedniak properly works. But I tend to think this is a tactical issue...

I agree completely, they've had half a season to learn to play each others game and become compatible but just haven't done so. Even when we had our good run we were pretty shit. 

I think we need something different in there.  Lansbury is far too slow as is Jedinak.  Hourihane potentially the best of the 3 but still hasn't shown enough to warrant starting every game. Jedinak needs to do far more than just win some headers.

I don't know if it's the lack of movement on the wings or something but we seem to lose the ball whenever our midfield gets hold of it.

The midfielders don't seem to pass to each other either. There's a certain lack of energy in there ever since Delph left. 

On 17/04/2017 at 11:57, av1 said:

Staying OT, i think a keeper is a must. 

You do realise OT could stand for both 'on topic' and 'off topic'? :P

• Like 2

On 17/04/2017 at 22:59, TRO said:

I get the bit we don't own him and I get the bit, we have no option, but looking forward, we need a 'keeper.

So in terms of continuity, (not to say that's the be all and end all) but it is well documented by the club, its been a source of our demise......lack of it.

We are now proposing to send him back as per the terms of loan and start all over again with the team having to get used to another ' keeper....when they have got used to him all season idiosyncrasies and all.

having no guarantee the next one will be any better.

Ok.

Yeah there's no guarantees in football,  but the chances are if we get someone else - no matter who, then more than likely he'll be better. Especially if it's someone like Alan McGreggor. 

Johnstone is a strange one.  Definitely got top potential............. If we are to sign him permanent on a long term deal as no1 then I'm all for it..............

Reading up on the kid, he's into his last year next season on his contract at Man United.......... This is where we'll struggle - they're not going to loan him out if he's in his last year as he can just leave on a free at the end of his loan,  they'll either sell him now, or, give him a new contract - in which case its just a loan deal back to us................... then I wouldn't bother..........

Bookmaker list Aston Villa as joint-favourites for 22-goal striker; Newcastle included as outsiders...

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/04/20/bookmaker-list-aston-villa-as-joint-favourites-for-22-goal-strik/

Aston Villa have been listed as joint-favourites for Bristol City loanee Tammy Abraham, while Newcastle have been listed as contenders for his signature.

Bookmaker BetVictor has listed Aston Villa as 4/1 joint favourites to sign Bristol City loanee Tammy Abraham during the summer, while Newcastle have been included as contenders.

The Chelsea youngster has enjoyed a sensational season in the Championship with the Robins. Without his 22 goals in the league this term, it seems more than likely that Lee Johnson's men would go into the final three games of the campaign with one foot already in League One. 
Given the success of his spell, City will know that it will be extremely difficult to pull off any kind of deal this summer, seemingly paving the way for another team to potentially swoop in if the Blues decide that he would be better off leaving in some capacity rather than sticking around Stamford Bridge.

BetVictor believe that Villa are one of the most likely destinations for the 19-year-old, with Steve Bruce's men listed at 4/1, alongside Middlesbrough, to land the striker during the summer.

Meanwhile, Newcastle have not been ruled out of the running by the bookmaker, with the Magpies listed at 8/1 - behind Leicester City and Galatasaray - so perhaps Rafa Benitez will earmark Abraham as a potential target as he looks to bolster his attacking options.

With Jonathan Kodjia and Scott Hogan already in Bruce's ranks, signing Abraham while keeping the current pair would surely see Villa go into next season with the best front line in the division.

Meanwhile, Abraham's form this term would certainly suggest that he could definitely have a role to play at St James' Park if Newcastle did make a move regardless of whether they are in the second tier again or secure what looks like a probable return to the top flight at the end of this campaign.

Edited by Supervillan78
  • Like 1

we need a workhorse in the middle to keep the opposition chasing the entire game. that would free up so much space for our other midfielders. why is it so bloody hard to get someone like Kanté? ^^

14 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Good player indeed!! I would like to see us take a punt on Josh Morris of Scunthorpe. He is another like Maddison that would cost no more than about £2mil and has been banging them in all season!! Very talented player

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Morris_(footballer)

12 hours ago, Junxs said:

I agree completely, they've had half a season to learn to play each others game and become compatible but just haven't done so. Even when we had our good run we were pretty shit. 

I think we need something different in there.  Lansbury is far too slow as is Jedinak.  Hourihane potentially the best of the 3 but still hasn't shown enough to warrant starting every game. Jedinak needs to do far more than just win some headers.

I don't know if it's the lack of movement on the wings or something but we seem to lose the ball whenever our midfield gets hold of it.

The midfielders don't seem to pass to each other either. There's a certain lack of energy in there ever since Delph left. 

Don't think Delph would help the possession stats now either. Good energy but continually lost possession in bad areas of the pitch.

• Like 3

We need a mobile defensive midfielder, one who tactically aware enough to hold his position and not get drawn upfield in Bacuna style attempt to score. Jedinack is great at winning high balls but on the floor he's not that great . 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tinker said:

We need a mobile defensive midfielder, one who tactically aware enough to hold his position and not get drawn upfield in Bacuna style attempt to score. Jedinack is great at winning high balls but on the floor he's not that great . 

A 22 year old African, powerhouse prodigy who is secretly 35 must be available somewhere!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Wezbid said:

I was one of the people who mentioned him in January. If you have a bit of a scroll through his twitter you quickly see what an unprofessional bloke he is.

I asked a Peterborough fan about him, he rates him as a player but says he's never become a fan favourite because of how he talks to the fans, always acts like he's bigger than the club 

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

I was one of the people who mentioned him in January. If you have a bit of a scroll through his twitter you quickly see what an unprofessional bloke he is.

I asked a Peterborough fan about him, he rates him as a player but says he's never become a fan favourite because of how he talks to the fans, always acts like he's bigger than the club 

Just from that video he seem's like a bit of a nob.

Great left boot though and not scared to shoot. Grealish could perform this role better than him if he was more direct.