Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

28 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bruce has indicated there's going to be some fairly big changes so thankfully he's not as blind as some on here.

5th best defence, 5th (and 9th) individual top scorer in the division, 1st and 2nd individual top assisters in the division...

...yet the ones being blind are the people who aren't solely focusing their thoughts based on our league position.

Yeah, OK :detect: 

I think we will finish the season with loads of unanswered questions about the squad. Can Hourihane and Lansbury play in a 2? I don't think Jedinak can unless you want boring football. Gardner isn't a bix to box midfielder could he play DM as he did at Forest? Can Grealish play left wing in a 433? Are Green, RHM and Lyden good enough to play a big part? Before we know what we need we have to answer a lot of these. At the minute we will need 2 goal keepers 2 Centrebacks a back up left back. 4 Midfielders of differing types and another striker to compliment what we have. We may have players already here to step up but nothing is certain yet if not it's a lot for Bryce to work on. 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

5th best defence, 5th (and 9th) individual top scorer in the division, 1st and 2nd individual top assisters in the division...

...yet the ones being blind are the people who aren't solely focusing their thoughts based on our league position.

Yeah, OK :detect: 

It's not played on paper, it's played on the pitch

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where has he said that? I thought he said that there were only going to be a few changes

Pretty sure he's said both, on different occasions mind.

• Like 1

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

It's not played on paper, it's played on the pitch

Sure - but those players have scored the goals, got the assists and maintained the clean sheets on the pitch this very season.  Nothing to do with being "on paper".

We don't need a major overhaul (yet again), we just badly need some cohesion in our play.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Sure - but those players have scored the goals, got the assists and maintained the clean sheets on the pitch this very season.  Nothing to do with being "on paper".

We don't need a major overhaul (yet again), we just badly need some cohesion in our play.

How do you think this cohesion is achieved?

24 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where has he said that? I thought he said that there were only going to be a few changes

No no don't !  Ah, jeez dagnammit you've done it now ! :P  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

How do you think this cohesion is achieved?

Unfortunately, I'm very unqualified as a football coach to be able to answer this*.  I'd assume that things can be done in training to improve how a side plays.

I look at Brighton and think "damn, there's a team that is much greater than the sum of its' parts".  Bournemouth likewise.  Even the successful teams can look more cohesive after changes - just look at the tweaks Conte implemented at Chelsea when they looked wobbly.

I don't know what it is that Bruce and the coaching team need to do, but we need to actually link up well on the pitch.

* - Championship/Football Manager aside, of course!

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Unfortunately, I'm very unqualified as a football coach to be able to answer this*.  I'd assume that things can be done in training to improve how a side plays.

I look at Brighton and think "damn, there's a team that is much greater than the sum of its' parts".  Bournemouth likewise.  Even the successful teams can look cohesive - just look at the changes Conte implemented at Chelsea when they looked wobbly.

I don't know what it is that Bruce and the coaching team need to do, but we need to actually link up well on the pitch.

* - Championship/Football Manager aside, of course!

Fair enough 

I'd be interested to know if those that think not many changes are needed on the playing side, if they are happy with the manager?

Surely you cant have it both ways. Either the squad is good enough to get promoted and the manager is isn't, or the manager is good but the players he's picking from aren't.

Theres no magic wand that can be waved that suddenly everything will be rosy next season without major changes. Especially if we want automatic promotion. Minor changes will just lead to disappoint again.

• Like 1

Judging by January and February our two most important players are at DM and CF.

When we didn't have Jedinak and Kodjia our form fell off a cliff.

Obviously we have Hogan in the mix now who surely has to be better next season.

You'd think we'd have enough in midfield but one injury to Jedi and we're back to playing Gardner there again which isn't ideal.

Depends on who we lose aswell. We could let go of Amavi for instance as we have Taylor and also De Laet who I reckon will be used as LB cover as we're well stocked at RB. Must keep Kodjia at all costs but who knows how he'll react if we start tuning down bids of 20m for him.

I would expect 4-5 new signings.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I'd be interested to know if those that think not many changes are needed on the playing side, if they are happy with the manager?

Surely you cant have it both ways. Either the squad is good enough to get promoted and the manager is isn't, or the manager is good but the players he's picking from aren't.

Theres no magic wand that can be waved that suddenly everything will be rosy next season without major changes. Especially if we want automatic promotion. Minor changes will just lead to disappoint again.

I'm happy enough with the manager but not how we play.  I think both the squad and the manager are good enough to challenge for promotion. 

I'd flip these questions - which other squad in this league would you swap ours for, and the same question on managers?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

It's actually quite rare that teams sign 7 players in January and hit the ground running. By the end of that horrible little run we were 22 points off the pace, from there they have shown signs of improvement, certainly in their ability to grind and perhaps we have regressed in some ways. As the season is over for us, you are likely to see a little more tiredness in the legs than you would hope for if they had something to play for. It's a natural human reaction and I'm not expecting much to change from here on in.

Hey, looking back maybe Bruce's Villa win 8 of those first 11 games and we are currently sitting in 6th. Maybe we're worse off, heck I dunno. What I do know is that building ANOTHER new squad now would be utterly reckless and I sincerely hope that isn't the plan. 

We signed two central midfielders in the January window. After a very bright start, both have dropped off the pace. I'm happy to give them, and the manager, time to make it work. If we can add 2 or 3 players with a little extra quality into the mix and ship out more of the dead wood, fantastic.

Now is definitely not the time to lose our heads. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's actually quite rare that teams sign 7 players in January and hit the ground running. By the end of that horrible little run we were 22 points off the pace, from there they have shown signs of improvement, certainly in their ability to grind and perhaps we have regressed in some ways. As the season is over for us, you are likely to see a little more tiredness in the legs than you would hope for if they had something to play for. It's a natural human reaction and I'm not expecting much to change from here on in.

Hey, looking back maybe Bruce's Villa win 8 of those first 11 games and we are currently sitting in 6th. Maybe we're worse off, heck I dunno. What I do know is that building ANOTHER new squad now would be utterly reckless and I sincerely hope that isn't the plan. 

We signed two central midfielders in the January window. After a very bright start, both have dropped off the pace. I'm happy to give them, and the manager, time to make it work. If we can add 2 or 3 players with a little extra quality into the mix and ship out more of the dead wood, fantastic.

Now is definitely not the time to lose our heads. 

Finally one person who gets it.  The one thing you can't buy in the transfer window is time to knit a squad together.  For the players to start trusting and playing to each others strengths.  You rip up this squad and replace 5 or 6 players from the first team and you've set the reset button.  Croatia 98 a squad of players who'd grown up together and knew each others game.  Granted they had davor suker but the team was the reason he shone.  A team that played as one.  Time is what this squad needs not 6 more players plucked from here there and everywhere.  Hourihane, lansbury, kodja, green, hogan, baker, chester, taylor, adomah, amavi, bree, jedinak, grealish, johnston (if we can keep him).  That core of players are good enough given time and the right support.  Granted we need cover for Jedinak and maybe another winger or attacking midfield option as skill players drift in and out of form.  But 5 or 6 changes would be suicide.

• Like 1

On 2017-4-26 at 19:12, tezzaleed said:

Well that would be nothing short of a disaster a guarantee another failed season.  Stability is vital this summer.  3 new players max with a keeper only if johnston wont stay. 

I can't agree. 7 players for the squad isn't massive overall. 3 players wouldn't even fill the gaps. 

Middlesbrough concede very few goals and are going down.

I don't think that goal conceded stats alone point to a strong defence. Imo that is down to Bruce's pragmatic style and midfield set up, which also effects our forward play. 

I don't care what the stats say, the defence needs strengthening with a new keeper, a new left back, and at least 1 center back. Chester aside, we have 1 bloke that gives himself concussion getting out of of bed. We then have Elphick and Richards. 

Needs strengthening. 

18 hours ago, BOF said:

Obviously the keeper needs addressing.  Bruce seems to want Johnstone for keeps.  But either way it's clear that'll be one position we buy for.

Defence.  In my opinion Bree and Hutton (in that order) are more than fine at rightback.  If we can improve on Baker at centreback then great, but I think he's good enough.  We need to strengthen the backup though.  I see the lad Hector being linked today.  Taylor is plenty good enough at leftback although I can see Amavi moving on for big money this summer so we will definitely need a leftback sub.  It doesn't appear as though Leggett has made any inroads at that position despite being 21 and ever-present for the U23s so there's a signing to be made.

Midfield.  First choicers I think are good enough.  The likes of Jedinak, Hourihane, Lansbury & Adomah are more than enough in this division.  Ably-supported by the likes of Grealish and Green, but I think we need some reinforcements at backup in the centre because I have zero faith in Gardner and Bacuna for example.  We could do with another sub on the wing too.  I haven't seen enough of Blackett-Taylor but it's a big ask for him to play a significant role.

Forwards.   Up front obviously the first choicers are plenty.  We are assuming we'll manage to hold on to Kodjia.  Obviously if we don't then he'll need replacing with quality.  If we do keep them then I still think we need to bring someone in as backup.  Kind of goes without saying that I don't rate Gabby, especially if we've no sha derby to play (;)) .  RHM remains to be seen as does Davis.

So ...
1 first choice goalkeeper
1 first choice OR backup centreback
1 backup leftback
1 first choice or backup centre mid
1 backup centre mid
1 first choice or backup winger
1 backup striker

It then depends whether your "3" signings refer to the first team or the whole squad.  I think it's probably about right for the first team but it's not enough for the bigger picture.  Finally, any other outgoings from the current squad would probably require a replacement.

very much agree with what we need but would prefer a first choice centreback and have Baker as back up... too injury prone to be labelled as a first choice but very decent player when in the team

10 hours ago, Junxs said:

great post!

For those that keep saying we only need a few changes,  there's been 3 teams that have scored more goals at home then we have all season and two of those teams will be in the premier league next season.   If its not the players, then it has to be the manager?

We've scored 14 goals in 22 away games, the worst of any team in the championship.   This simply needs addressing if we are going to challenge next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Middlesbrough concede very few goals and are going down.

I don't think that goal conceded stats alone point to a strong defence. Imo that is down to Bruce's pragmatic style and midfield set up, which also effects our forward play. 

I don't care what the stats say, the defence needs strengthening with a new keeper, a new left back, and at least 1 center back. Chester aside, we have 1 bloke that gives himself concussion getting out of of bed. We then have Elphick and Richards. 

Needs strengthening. 

Exactly this for me except I would be looking to upgrade on Chester as well and I prefer Amavi over Taylor.

With stronger centre backs and Jedinak sitting in front of them we can afford to go with Amavi who in my view is our best and most creative player when confident and in form.