Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

19 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It's not about discarding though is it, as we don't own him. It's about if we pursue signing him which is all together entirely a different position.

I'm always an advocate of patience (to a point with players particularly young ones) but it's a bit different when they aren't your player.

Do you think he has performed well enough to warrant us signing him permanently this summer? Because I don't. 

So it's not really about patience it's about if we want to pay a few million to keep him and see if he improves. It's also about if we are willing to have a keeper in our 1st team that we are waiting to develop. 

Comparisons to Bozzie are a little pointless really.

The comparison was purely on the basis of what you see now is not always the finished article.....Bozzie took 9 months to convince the management, but he did it.It depends on what part of the comparison you want to major on as to whether it is pointless or not.

yes, he is not our player.....but we may have an option to buy.....and we need a Goal keeper.....His recent form is not to be sniffed at.

I have no firm opinion on it , but Bozzie and Spinky, do spring to my mind, when thinking about the next Keeper.

i can see the arguments to support a more experienced ' keeper , but it's one of them.

In terms of career, do you go for players on the way up, still developing or the more experienced, but on their way down?

Ps I didn't think it was a pointless comparison, else I wouldn't have written it, but each to there own.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think Bruce will want to keep the back 5 for next season as we barely conceded for 9 matches.  That means signing Johnstone, which is fair enough.  I can only see us signing two or three players.

When you consider that we are only ever one injury away from seeing Elphick or Richards in starting lineup, I'm hoping we see at least 2 or 3 additions to back 5 alone.

Bruce played down the January window before going out a buying half a team so I would take anything he says regarding the summer with a pinch of salt. I think there will be 4 or 5 in and the same number out. 

Staying OT, i think a keeper is a must. 

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think Bruce will want to keep the back 5 for next season as we barely conceded for 9 matches.  That means signing Johnstone, which is fair enough.  I can only see us signing two or three players.

I think one of the reasons we are not conceding is that the midfield is playing so deep.....when we open up, we are liable to concede.....subsequently midfield not doing what they did at previous clubs.

I am not sure individually or as a department the defence is as good as the stats are suggesting....still too many individual  errors are harboured in some.....we defend in numbers, which distorts the true picture.

That is not a criticism, it's an observation.

still much work to do IMO.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think one of the reasons we are not conceding is that the midfield is playing so deep.....when we open up, we are liable to concede.....subsequently midfield not doing what they did at previous clubs.

Thats a very good point mate.

I'm not a huge fan of Baker. Elphick Amavi and Richards are simply awful, and i don't rate Johnstone either. I would like to see at least 2 or 3 additions to the back 5 in the summer. Hopefully that will give Bruce more confidence to allow Lansbury and Hourihane to push further forward. When you also consider that Jedinak barely crosses the half way line, the defence have an awful lot of protection, which is detrimental to the attacking side of our game. 

Much work to be done. 

40 minutes ago, av1 said:

Thats a very good point mate.

I'm not a huge fan of Baker. Elphick Amavi and Richards are simply awful, and i don't rate Johnstone either. I would like to see at least 2 or 3 additions to the back 5 in the summer. Hopefully that will give Bruce more confidence to allow Lansbury and Hourihane to push further forward. When you also consider that Jedinak barely crosses the half way line, the defence have an awful lot of protection, which is detrimental to the attacking side of our game. 

Much work to be done. 

I still think there are many paradox's with us at the moment.

e.g

Jedinak has been colossal  for us.....but in another sense he is a player that is dedicated to protecting the defence, that is like over insurance in some ways.

It could be argued that if the CB's were more dominant, it could open up for a more creative ball playing bod in midfield to enhance the offensive side.

I perfectly understand the setup to be hard to beat, but at some stage we have to morph in to a team that takes the game to the opppsition.

i see lots of tinkering in the last few matches and I agree with you....I see more than a few signings in the summer.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Priority needs to be at least 1 CB in the summer, 2 if we're going to play with a back 3 next season. Replace Amavi with a proper LB and get some CM's that can dictate a match consistently. We've got some very good individuals in the squad but we're far from being a team.

John Terry leaving Chelsea at end of season and looking for a new challenge.

Although obviously may end up in US or China.

Would be a hell of an addition for a year.

Let's offer him the gap year before cruising in LA or Ghangzou. Lol

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TRO said:

The comparison was purely on the basis of what you see now is not always the finished article.....Bozzie took 9 months to convince the management, but he did it.It depends on what part of the comparison you want to major on as to whether it is pointless or not.

yes, he is not our player.....but we may have an option to buy.....and we need a Goal keeper.....His recent form is not to be sniffed at.

I have no firm opinion on it , but Bozzie and Spinky, do spring to my mind, when thinking about the next Keeper.

i can see the arguments to support a more experienced ' keeper , but it's one of them.

In terms of career, do you go for players on the way up, still developing or the more experienced, but on their way down?

Ps I didn't think it was a pointless comparison, else I wouldn't have written it, but each to there own.

The you could have made that point without the reference to Bozzie. Making that reference inferes (intentionally or otherwise) that the situations are the same, that because it worked out with Bozzie people are mistaken for being quick to judge on this occasion. It doesn't work that way which is why I didn't think the comparison is pointless.

There is no option to buy, it's a straight loan but even if there were my point still remains. 

I get your point re players on the way up, although I'm not sure he particularly is, but we are not in a position to be developing a keeper while trying to get promoted.

50 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The you could have made that point without the reference to Bozzie. Making that reference inferes (intentionally or otherwise) that the situations are the same, that because it worked out with Bozzie people are mistaken for being quick to judge on this occasion. It doesn't work that way which is why I didn't think the comparison is pointless.

There is no option to buy, it's a straight loan but even if there were my point still remains. 

I get your point re players on the way up, although I'm not sure he particularly is, but we are not in a position to be developing a keeper while trying to get promoted.

Everyone chooses to make the comparison to make their point easier to understand, but that's an opinion......Its not a question in my opinion of majoring on the person, but more the principle.....but that's perhaps where the translation is lost.

I was rather hoping that the principle would be focused on as opposed to the name.

I get the fact that some don't fancy him.....but he is developing and getting used to our club.....do we start all over again with another spate with another keeper getting used to our defence.

I am not convinced either way, just think sometimes we are too quick to condemn.

If there is one position where I look at stability I.e Colin Withers, Nigel spink,Mark Bosnich ......its Goalkeeper.

We may be desperate to go up......but some things have to be developed too.

ps **** me I have just seen a 16 year old show us the way home.

I know we had a good run defensively until the last couple of games, but that would not stop me looking to improve at the back. As we have seen in the last couple of games a decent team can unlock them easily enough.

I would also add that if we want a more progressive attacking team, then our midfield need to trust the defence and I am not sure if they do. Could the negative play be a symptom of a fragile defence at the back, forcing the midfield to hang back?

A new GK is a must, another CB and Gareth Barry or someone of his ilk to sit in front of the back line and we suddenly have a better look about us. That would hopefully bring better retention of the ball and allow our midfielders the licence to get forward more.

• Like 1