Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Barry seems far more likely than Young because Barry clearly has a strong emotional connection to the club. Young was terrific for us but always felt we were just one step in his career. 

Shows how quickly time flies, Young has now been at United longer than he was at the Villa. 

I'd like Barry too - a huge upgrade on Jedinak.

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Barry seems far more likely than Young because Barry clearly has a strong emotional connection to the club. Young was terrific for us but always felt we were just one step in his career. 

Shows how quickly time flies, Young has now been at United longer than he was at the Villa. 

I think you are correct, out of the two Barry seems the most likely to return as he spent a large portion of his career here and must feel an affinity with the club. I would love GB to come back, he is a massive upgrade on Jedinak, and Jedi can fill in when GB needs a rest or the opposition look to hit high balls into us.

Is that correct that Young has been at Utd longer than Villa? It doesn't seem right, but there is the old saying that time flies when you are having fun......... Hang on a minute!!! :huh:

I keep reading that we only need to make a few tweaks to the squad for next season. I personally think there is still a lot of work to be done, not least shifting all the crap. Its staggering how much we are spending on guys that offer so little. 

Elphick, Amavi, Bacuna, Gardner, Richards, Gabby, kozak. Not to mention the lads on loan, Tshibola, RMC, Veretout, Gil, Sanchez.

Its going to be another busy summer. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I keep reading that we only need to make a few tweaks to the squad for next season. I personally think there is still a lot of work to be done, not least shifting all the crap. Its staggering how much we are spending on guys that offer so little. 

Elphick, Amavi, Bacuna, Gardner, Richards, Gabby, kozak. Not to mention the lads on loan, Tshibola, RMC, Veretout, Gil, Sanchez.

Its going to be another busy summer. 

That is still my biggest worry of all at the club.The business of transfers.

We seem to pay so much for "average"......we can't attract the " nailed on"ones for obvious reasons......and unearthing little gems like Barry, Platt,Yorke, seems beyond us now.

We desperately need to find a tricky winger that can open teams up.....Carbone type.

Agreed @TRO. When you consider how much has been spent on this squad over the last 18 months you have to conclude that out transfer business has been poor.

To still have guys like Micah Richards making yesterdays match day squad after spending north of £100m is pretty appalling. 

19 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed @TRO. When you consider how much has been spent on this squad over the last 18 months you have to conclude that out transfer business has been poor.

To still have guys like Micah Richards making yesterdays match day squad after spending north of £100m is pretty appalling. 

I think the worry is that when you see the effectiveness of some of the players in this division that have cost modest sums it makes you wonder.

example

• Chris Woods
  • Glen Murray

thats just a couple.....there are many.

Its mainly about having a balanced side, where everyone knows their jobs and does it.

round pegs in round holes....etc

ps I still see us playing without a tricky player who can open teams up.I know we are far from complete, so we just have to wait until we resemble a balanced outfit.

Edited by TRO

24 minutes ago, av1 said:

we have paid through the "nose" far too many times and it has bitten us on the arse.

This desperate scramble to get back, is partly the cause.

Just hope we can have a more controlled and progressive success rate with new players moving forward.

Edited by TRO

Before Bruce and co go back into the market, he has some big decisions on the deadwood and loanees.

Johnstone - has done enough to earn an extended deal, but could easily be poached by a lower Prem team or newly promoted team. I hope he stays, possibly another year's loan.
Steer - I have only seen him in a Villa shirt 3 or 4 times, can't remember being impressed with him, but that was a long time ago and he is still fairly young. If he is fit for preseason then hopefully Bruce can assess him and he can be a replacement for Bunn.
Bunn - hopefully out of contract in the summer, nice guy, but surely we can conjure better options.
Gollini - I liked Gollini despite his early errors, but he has acted like a spoilt brat with his comments after he left and has had very few games on loan in Italy. I imagine the best we will get is another year's loan at an Italian team or a cut price transfer.

Vertout - no idea if he wants to come back or if Bruce wants him, I imagine he will stay in France on a cut price perm deal.
Gil - as above really
Tish - I think Bruce will give him the pre-season and then send him on loan or flog him for very little if he fails to impress

Gabby & Richards, another season of hoofing huge wages on two deadbeats, i commend Bruce for trying to reintegrate them but it proved pointless as injury took over an optimism of them playing.

McCormack, well i hope he gets another chance, but if he is too pig headed to apologise then we have another huge expensive flop on our hands. Watch him leave for less than half of what we paid.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Before Bruce and co go back into the market, he has some big decisions on the deadwood and loanees.

Johnstone - has done enough to earn an extended deal, but could easily be poached by a lower Prem team or newly promoted team. I hope he stays, possibly another year's loan.
Steer - I have only seen him in a Villa shirt 3 or 4 times, can't remember being impressed with him, but that was a long time ago and he is still fairly young. If he is fit for preseason then hopefully Bruce can assess him and he can be a replacement for Bunn.
Bunn - hopefully out of contract in the summer, nice guy, but surely we can conjure better options.
Gollini - I liked Gollini despite his early errors, but he has acted like a spoilt brat with his comments after he left and has had very few games on loan in Italy. I imagine the best we will get is another year's loan at an Italian team or a cut price transfer.

Vertout - no idea if he wants to come back or if Bruce wants him, I imagine he will stay in France on a cut price perm deal.
Gil - as above really
Tish - I think Bruce will give him the pre-season and then send him on loan or flog him for very little if he fails to impress

Gabby & Richards, another season of hoofing huge wages on two deadbeats, i commend Bruce for trying to reintegrate them but it proved pointless as injury took over an optimism of them playing.

McCormack, well i hope he gets another chance, but if he is too pig headed to apologise then we have another huge expensive flop on our hands. Watch him leave for less than half of what we paid.

With regard to gollini he is on an 18 month loan there.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Gil - as above really

Is there some history between Hogan & McCormack? I seem to recall Hogan mooting..... I hope he's not there when I arrive.

Just now, TRO said:

Is there some history between Hogan & McCormack? I seem to recall Hogan mooting..... I hope he's not there when I arrive.

Really ? Where did you here this - not seen or heard anything about it before.

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Really ? Where did you here this - not seen or heard anything about it before.

its a bit vague in my memory, but I recall it, just around the time the transfer was going through or just after.

have to keep off the "magic mushrooms":)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

No reason why we shouldn't be sounding out, through the legal channels of course,  the players we want next season. We know we are going to be in this division so we should be hopefully at work with this already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Johnstone definitely hasn't done enough to earn himself a deal, looks like amnesia is kicking in.

Well it took another ex Man U keeper 9 months after signing him to make his mark with us.

Mark Bosnich

sorry about the pun.

Its no good being to hasty to discard.

just thought.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Johnstone definitely hasn't done enough to earn himself a deal, looks like amnesia is kicking in.

Would prefer someone with more experience and I thought swapping one young error prone goal keeper for another was daft, but he's done pretty well of late. Would rather he was back up but I am presuming Bruce wants to sign him.