Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

15 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

Well that would be nothing short of a disaster a guarantee another failed season.  Stability is vital this summer.  3 new players max with a keeper only if johnston wont stay. 

Er Newcastle bought about 12 players last summer. Brighton brought in 6 by the looks of it. I'm not sure anyone who watches us can think we need so few players. We still have the likes of Bacuna getting in the team. We also need cover for the more important players. 

Three new players "max" simply isn't enough. We need a good four to go straight into the first team in clearly woefully deficient areas and then we will need a couple of squad additions to replace the shite that will be getting shipped out.

20 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Three new players "max" simply isn't enough. We need a good four to go straight into the first team in clearly woefully deficient areas and then we will need a couple of squad additions to replace the shite that will be getting shipped out.

I don't actually think any of our team is "woefully deficient".  We need a goalkeeper, be it Johnstone permanently or someone else, and probably a Jedinak-replacement.

Out of interest, which four first team players are woeful in your books?

Obviously the keeper needs addressing.  Bruce seems to want Johnstone for keeps.  But either way it's clear that'll be one position we buy for.

Defence.  In my opinion Bree and Hutton (in that order) are more than fine at rightback.  If we can improve on Baker at centreback then great, but I think he's good enough.  We need to strengthen the backup though.  I see the lad Hector being linked today.  Taylor is plenty good enough at leftback although I can see Amavi moving on for big money this summer so we will definitely need a leftback sub.  It doesn't appear as though Leggett has made any inroads at that position despite being 21 and ever-present for the U23s so there's a signing to be made.

Midfield.  First choicers I think are good enough.  The likes of Jedinak, Hourihane, Lansbury & Adomah are more than enough in this division.  Ably-supported by the likes of Grealish and Green, but I think we need some reinforcements at backup in the centre because I have zero faith in Gardner and Bacuna for example.  We could do with another sub on the wing too.  I haven't seen enough of Blackett-Taylor but it's a big ask for him to play a significant role.

Forwards.   Up front obviously the first choicers are plenty.  We are assuming we'll manage to hold on to Kodjia.  Obviously if we don't then he'll need replacing with quality.  If we do keep them then I still think we need to bring someone in as backup.  Kind of goes without saying that I don't rate Gabby, especially if we've no sha derby to play (;)) .  RHM remains to be seen as does Davis.

So ...
1 first choice goalkeeper
1 first choice OR backup centreback
1 backup leftback
1 first choice or backup centre mid
1 backup centre mid
1 first choice or backup winger
1 backup striker

It then depends whether your "3" signings refer to the first team or the whole squad.  I think it's probably about right for the first team but it's not enough for the bigger picture.  Finally, any other outgoings from the current squad would probably require a replacement.

• Like 4

Exactly my thinking BOF.  I think we have a good first XI, it's just it only takes one or two of our crucial players to be missing for it all to go tits up, so we need adequate back up or competition in certain areas.  Hector would be a great signing, we definitely need a back up for Jedinak as well as that position is vital for us.  De Laet will come back as an extra defensive option plus I hope Bruce looks at Veretout and Gil in pre-season.  A younger, hungrier version of Gabby would be nice but we will be stuck with him.

17 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Exactly my thinking BOF.  I think we have a good first XI, it's just it only takes one or two of our crucial players to be missing for it all to go tits up, so we need adequate back up or competition in certain areas.  Hector would be a great signing, we definitely need a back up for Jedinak as well as that position is vital for us.  De Laet will come back as an extra defensive option plus I hope Bruce looks at Veretout and Gil in pre-season.  A younger, hungrier version of Gabby would be nice but we will be stuck with him.

I forgot about de Laet.  If he can play leftback aswell then he might solve that problem.  All depends on how he returns from injury.

It is kinda hard to know what we need to bring in before we know how we are supposed to set up and what formation we are going to play next season.

If we are to play with 2 CM's then Jedi needs to be upgraded on, if we're to play with 3 CM's then I think Jedi, Hourihane & Lansbury are good enough to work. But we need backups as Gardner and Bacuna are not good enough. 

Are we playing with one or two attackers? If 1 then Kodija & Hogan should be OK. If we're playing with 2 attackers then I would not like to have to rely on Gabby & McGatemack

For my money the squad is most suited to a 4-3-3, and that is the formation that has worked best IMO.

For that we need some width :) added to help Adomah & Green as Grealish and Kodija IMO works better in central positions. Not sure what to do with Grealish really..

New goalie for sure, hope Bruce is talked out of signing Johnstone.

Cover or upgrade at CB.

A replacement for Amavi.

Then sell as many squad players as possible.

Interesting to see what becomes of our out on loan players.

2 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Is Pontus Jannson signed permanently by Leeds now? He would be a cracking signing in my opinion 

He is yes.

But clubs like Southampton are already sniffing around to sign him.

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't actually think any of our team is "woefully deficient".  We need a goalkeeper, be it Johnstone permanently or someone else, and probably a Jedinak-replacement.

Out of interest, which four first team players are woeful in your books?

We need a starting keeper, centre half to play with Chester a left winger and IMO a central midfielder because the Jedinak, Lansbury and Hourihane triangle doesn't really work as well as I expected. 

We're 12th place, so to expect that we can go up next season without some key signings is unrealistic. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

We need a starting keeper, centre half to play with Chester a left winger and IMO a central midfielder because the Jedinak, Lansbury and Hourihane triangle doesn't really work as well as I expected. 

We're 12th place, so to expect that we can go up next season without some key signings is unrealistic. 

As I say, I agree on the goalkeeper.

We don't need a centre half  - our defence is 5th best in the division.  Sure, we could upgrade but absolutely not "woefully deficient" here.  Andre Green/Jack Grealish/Bjarnason as wide left players in this division is absolutely fine too.  Again, could upgrade... but fine.

Maybe on a central midfielder, but I actually think the key is to get the team working well together.  A lot of what we're doing wrong is down to the style of play.  Get that midfield passing and moving more!  Perhaps Jedinak will be a weak link in that, no idea.

Either way, I just don't see 4 signings for the first team as being necessary.  Our squad is good for the Championship.  Not amazingly strong/walk the league stuff, but should be good enough to challenge automatic promotion/be in the playoffs next season.

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

As I say, I agree on the goalkeeper.

We don't need a centre half  - our defence is 5th best in the division.  Sure, we could upgrade but absolutely not "woefully deficient" here.  Andre Green/Jack Grealish/Bjarnason as wide left players in this division is absolutely fine too.  Again, could upgrade... but fine.

Maybe on a central midfielder, but I actually think the key is to get the team working well together.  A lot of what we're doing wrong is down to the style of play.  Get that midfield passing and moving more!  Perhaps Jedinak will be a weak link in that, no idea.

Either way, I just don't see 4 signings for the first team as being necessary.  Our squad is good for the Championship.  Not amazingly strong/walk the league stuff, but should be good enough to challenge automatic promotion/be in the playoffs next season.

I'm talking about getting promoted here not merely having 'good' championship squad. We should be aiming for an automatic spot and we are very much short of that in terms of quality in the first team. We are just not good enough and are rightly 12th in the league. You are overrating our current squad thankfully I don't think Bruce will be come the summer. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm talking about getting promoted here not merely having 'good' championship squad. We should be aiming for an automatic spot and we are very much short of that in terms of quality in the first team. We are just not good enough and are rightly 12th in the league. You are overrating our current squad thankfully I don't think Bruce will be come the summer. 

Brighton's squad is not stronger than ours - they work better together and play better football, though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just out of interest - which 4 players are they to replace?

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Obviously the keeper needs addressing.  Bruce seems to want Johnstone for keeps.  But either way it's clear that'll be one position we buy for.

Defence.  In my opinion Bree and Hutton (in that order) are more than fine at rightback.  If we can improve on Baker at centreback then great, but I think he's good enough.  We need to strengthen the backup though.  I see the lad Hector being linked today.  Taylor is plenty good enough at leftback although I can see Amavi moving on for big money this summer so we will definitely need a leftback sub.  It doesn't appear as though Leggett has made any inroads at that position despite being 21 and ever-present for the U23s so there's a signing to be made.

Midfield.  First choicers I think are good enough.  The likes of Jedinak, Hourihane, Lansbury & Adomah are more than enough in this division.  Ably-supported by the likes of Grealish and Green, but I think we need some reinforcements at backup in the centre because I have zero faith in Gardner and Bacuna for example.  We could do with another sub on the wing too.  I haven't seen enough of Blackett-Taylor but it's a big ask for him to play a significant role.

Forwards.   Up front obviously the first choicers are plenty.  We are assuming we'll manage to hold on to Kodjia.  Obviously if we don't then he'll need replacing with quality.  If we do keep them then I still think we need to bring someone in as backup.  Kind of goes without saying that I don't rate Gabby, especially if we've no sha derby to play (;)) .  RHM remains to be seen as does Davis.

So ...
1 first choice goalkeeper
1 first choice OR backup centreback
1 backup leftback
1 first choice or backup centre mid
1 backup centre mid
1 first choice or backup winger
1 backup striker

It then depends whether your "3" signings refer to the first team or the whole squad.  I think it's probably about right for the first team but it's not enough for the bigger picture.  Finally, any other outgoings from the current squad would probably require a replacement.

I agree thats what we need, but Id hate to bring in that many players again in 1 window again. 

I think the best way to avoid another Jan/Feb type settling in period would be to do it over the 2 windows.

We have to consider that we have 2 signings already here that have barely played (Thor and Delaet), too many more is just asking for problems IMO.

The likes of Gardner, Bacuna, et al should be able to see us though any really desperate times aided by a few additions.

25 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We're 12th place, it's delusional to think minor tweaks are needed. Whilst we do not need an overhaul we certainly do need to make some big improvements to the first team. 

This is once again a circular argument, discounting the many variables of the season/squad which have been gone over a million times.

Such as: RDM

Change of Manager

January Transfer Window

Bedding in of players

AFCON

Injury Crisis

It is not as black and white as "We are 12th".

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bruce has indicated there's going to be some fairly big changes so thankfully he's not as blind as some on here.

Where has he said that? I thought he said that there were only going to be a few changes