17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

pathetic. dont attempt to win these games from the start and no chance of going up

Exactly this, lack of belief from the manager. We are **** Aston Villa..Yes we have a divine right to expect to win every game in this division, given the resources and calibre of players on offer

Miles off. I actually think we have both the players and the squad for a stab at the playoffs but will not get there with Bruce's tactics. We play far too defensively and still offer little in attack (Norwich aside) whereas our defence has got weaker with the dream team of Samba and Terry. So marginally more goals, countered by more conceded means we'll end up pretty much in the same position as last season.

For a Championship winning team we'd need a CB, RB and another striker probably. But for a Playoff place we need just a solid, attacking lineup that isn't focused purely on trying to nick 1-0 wins. A 4-4-2 could get us there, and the first XI practically picks itself;

Johnstone

Bree Chester Terry Taylor

Elmo Hourihane Onomah Snodgrass

Kodjia Hogan

Subs; Davis, Green, Adomah to be super subs - kids perhaps getting introduced more as season/they progress. Lansbury, Whelen, Samba to close games up.

In this division we should be playing with two upfront, but especially as it's clear that the likes of Davis/Kodjia would create a lot of chances if they formed a successful partnership with a striker using their physique rather than having to wait for midfield support.

I don't think we're serious contenders for promotion, we may flirt with the idea at points in the season but I strongly doubt we'll make even a sustained challenge. What concerns me more is the fact we put all our eggs in one basket and will be in serious trouble next year with loads of loans and one year contract players to be replaced with smaller budget still. This is beginning to feel more permanent a situation than we'd all hoped.

I so hope someone can ram these words down my throat...but I always said we'd survive in the Premier League season after season until the September of the season when we were relegated as I could see it coming. This has the same feeling of inevitability - we don't have enough.

5 hours ago, John said:

A point away tonight against a team that will not lose too many home games this season is an improvement on the 1-3 defeat we got there last season. We made a poor start to this season but have won our last home game and drawn our last away game.

Winning every home game and drawing every away game would give us 92 points and likely automatic promotion. At the moment we need to make up 4 points to get up to where we should now be to hit that end of season target. We will not win all our home games and will lose some of our away games during the rest of the season but I think that we may just win more away games than we did last season and enough to get us to that target or at least to enough to make it to the play-off lottery. Nil desperandum (just yet) ;)  

Good post as long as you maintain amnesia about the matches before the last 7 days and all of last season.  

But speaking of those other performances.... We aren't going up with Bruce.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Miles off. I actually think we have both the players and the squad for a stab at the playoffs but will not get there with Bruce's tactics. We play far too defensively and still offer little in attack (Norwich aside) whereas our defence has got weaker with the dream team of Samba and Terry. So marginally more goals, countered by more conceded means we'll end up pretty much in the same position as last season.

For a Championship winning team we'd need a CB, RB and another striker probably. But for a Playoff place we need just a solid, attacking lineup that isn't focused purely on trying to nick 1-0 wins. A 4-4-2 could get us there, and the first XI practically picks itself;

Johnstone

Bree Chester Terry Taylor

Elmo Hourihane Onomah Snodgrass

Kodjia Hogan

Subs; Davis, Green, Adomah to be super subs - kids perhaps getting introduced more as season/they progress. Lansbury, Whelen, Samba to close games up.

In this division we should be playing with two upfront, but especially as it's clear that the likes of Davis/Kodjia would create a lot of chances if they formed a successful partnership with a striker using their physique rather than having to wait for midfield support.

I don't think we're serious contenders for promotion, we may flirt with the idea at points in the season but I strongly doubt we'll make even a sustained challenge. What concerns me more is the fact we put all our eggs in one basket and will be in serious trouble next year with loads of loans and one year contract players to be replaced with smaller budget still. This is beginning to feel more permanent a situation than we'd all hoped.

I so hope someone can ram these words down my throat...but I always said we'd survive in the Premier League season after season until the September of the season when we were relegated as I could see it coming. This has the same feeling of inevitability - we don't have enough.

You have Snodgrass on the left. The place he was played at Wham which he puts down to his poor form as he's a right side player

4-2-3-1 stop pissing about and go and attack the opposition.

Johnstone 

Elmo           Chester       Terry        deLaet

Lansbury                      Onomah

Hourihane        

Adomah                                              Kodjia  

Hogan  

7 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Good post as long as you maintain amnesia about the matches before the last 7 days and all of last season.  

But speaking of those other performances.... We aren't going up with Bruce.  

Will do. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Will do. ;)

John, absolutely class.  Great sense of humor.  Well done, my friend.  I wanted to mark the laugh but was afraid it might be interpreted as sarcasm.  So I hit like and posted this.  Respect. 

• Like 1

Leeds are a worry for me , they are onto 11 points and winning for fun away from home - we cannot afford to fall too far adrift as we did last season - on paper we have decent fixtures in September and we must close the gap 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Leeds are a worry for me , they are onto 11 points and winning for fun away from home - we cannot afford to fall too far adrift as we did last season - on paper we have decent fixtures in September and we must close the gap 

Came to post the exact same thing. Leeds have started well, and my Leeds supporting mate had picked up Liverpoolitis, he's convinced it's their year!

33 minutes ago, Eastie said:

But they sold their best forward while we keep needing new players. 

On 26 August 2017 at 06:41, DCJonah said:

If we had a different manager i think we'd piss this league when you look at the quality of the squad. 

That depends who that manager is!

7 hours ago, romavillan said:

7 points off the automatic promotion spots after 5 games, if that turns into 14 after 10 games we're in deep shit and surely the manager would be in trouble then?

He wouldn't be in trouble he'd surely be gone should we be 14 points adrift from 10 games .