17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

41 minutes ago, vreitti said:

We have by far the best side in the division,

No. We definitely do not. I keep hearing this and I wonder if people who say it have ever actually watched us play. It can't just be down to Bruce that they look so bloody awful most of the time. 

47 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

No. We definitely do not. I keep hearing this and I wonder if people who say it have ever actually watched us play. It can't just be down to Bruce that they look so bloody awful most of the time. 

I agree, we play like shit. I meant we have the best side on paper, and really we should be playing a lot better. That's on the manager, imho.

If Rafa Benithez was in Charge we would be 10pts ahead already.

He would piss this league with this team and I dare say even midtable in the Prem with the same crop.

IF Bruce slips the grip I think we should look at the Waiter as the next answer.

I would say MO'N returns but the fact that I don't believe in managers returning to clubs for a 2nd spell is why I haven't.

49 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He would piss this league with this team and I dare say even midtable in the Prem with the same crop.

IF Bruce slips the grip I think we should look at the Waiter as the next answer.

I would say MO'N returns but the fact that I don't believe in managers returning to clubs for a 2nd spell is why I haven't.

I'm hoping it doesn't take a change of manager (as much as I have been critical of and disappointed with Bruce, I am willing to be patient for at least 4-5 games in the hope that the team will settle and start producing strong performances for the full 90+ mins) to get us promoted this season but I would love our next managerial change (whenever that may be) or target to be Benitez or Rodgers.

They don't quite seem attainable at this point (unless Benitez has a big fall out with Ashley e.g. over transfers - I think Xia would give him better backing, especially in the PL. I think Rodgers would be in high demand, if he appeared to be available , and prefer a top flight job but feel Xia could "sell" the club and demonstrate his ambitions to either).

If we end up struggling fairly soon, another consideration would be Jokanovic (not quite happy with the transfer committee at Fulham but would be difficult to attract if they are competing at the top this season).

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I'm hoping it doesn't take a change of manager (as much as I have been critical of and disappointed with Bruce, I am willing to be patient for at least 4-5 games in the hope that the team will settle and start producing strong performances for the full 90+ mins) to get us promoted this season but I would love our next managerial change (whenever that may be) or target to be Benitez or Rodgers.

They don't quite seem attainable at this point (unless Benitez has a big fall out with Ashley e.g. over transfers - I think Xia would give him better backing, especially in the PL. I think Rodgers would be in high demand, if he appeared to be available , and prefer a top flight job but feel Xia could "sell" the club and demonstrate his ambitions to either).

If we end up struggling fairly soon, another consideration would be Jokanovic (not quite happy with the transfer committee at Fulham but would be difficult to attract if they are competing at the top this season).

Absolutely.

I think Rafa would come here if it was 'right' for him and certain criterias and guarantees where in place.

He would get looked after by the Dr. Whereas your not far wrong with Ashley and there is already a bad taste forming in Rafa's mouth about it.

As for Brenda.

He would be a good second choice but I feel we might now need to be in the Prem atleast to him be even interested in us.

Rafa I get a feeling more of gettable out of the two.

Brucey needs to get 3 pts in our next game to starve off the wolves already waiting for his demise.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

11 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I'm a very happy chap thanks. Not that being happy has anything to do with the reality of the situation.

I'm just not blinded by the bleeding obvious. Just because I'm a Villa fan it doesn't mean I've got to pretend we are better than we are. Tell me, what exactly is a load of b-------s? That we won't finish top 2? Really? Open your eyes mate, we are a pretty mediocre side. 

We are desperate for a goalscorer and a creative winger. Without the signing of both, I don't see us as a promotion threat. That ok with you?

The problem is you sack someone after 2 games you look like a laughing stock and who can you get? Not many quality managers are going to fancy joining a club who sacks their manager so early on.

I have my doubts about Bruce but he should be given more games sacking now now would just be crazy.

I think its a big game for bruce tonight. If we get humiliated fans will really get on his back. There should be no excuses for not winning this game.

Edited by Demitri_C

Every game is huge for Steve Bruce, since he's not bothered with developing a actual game plan. Our winning usually depends on someone performing an individual act of brilliance. It's just not gonna carry us to promotion, sadly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Must be me but I didn't think we looked awful against hull...or Brighton for that matter!

The side is settling now and it will start to show. No need for such negativity 1 game into the new season.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Must be me but I didn't think we looked awful against hull...or Brighton for that matter!

The side is settling now and it will start to show. No need for such negativity 1 game into the new season.

I agree. I thought we played quite well on Saturday. Very good in the first half, had a strong last 10 minutes, but were poor for 20 odd mins after half time. Overall though we looked decent.

Of course there is room for improvement. No team is likely to hit the ground completely running and it will take a handful of games for most teams to get into their stride. First few games you are still integrating new players, still reaching peak fitness. Looking at the results over the weekend two of last seasons play off sides, Sheff Wed and Reading, both lost, heavily fancied Fulham got a draw at home, Boro favourites to go up lost and I listened to their game on the way to VP on Saturday and it was apparently dire with both Boro and Wolves struggling to create a chance.

I think there is plenty to be positive about. We have assembled a very good squad, for much of the game on Saturday we looked decent but with room for improvement and we still have four players to come back from injury, including our main forward, who will all be pushing for a starting spot.

I’d hope that by the end of this month we will be looking in good shape and well into our stride.

17 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I could cherry pick games when we played ok. Even parts of games where we played quite well. But in general, I have seen nothing from these players to suggest they are "by far the best squad in the league". Something I have heard quite a few people say.

Anyway, big game tonight, we simply cannot afford to get dumped out in the 1st round again. Confidence would drop through the floor.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I could cherry pick games when we played ok. Even parts of games where we played quite well. But in general, I have seen nothing from these players to suggest they are "by far the best squad in the league". Something I have heard quite a few people say.

The point is that I'm not cherry picking, I'm picking the last 2 competitive games. 

Tbf I think we do have the best squad in the league, but that's a subjective view really.

18 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Is the same Rafa Benitez who with a far superior team to ours last year blew a massive lead at the top of the table and actually only won the league because we did him a favour? 

He hardly pissed the league with a much better squad than ours. 

Edited by sidcow

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Is the same Rafa Benitez who with a far superior team to ours last year blew a massive lead at the top of the table and actually only won the league because we did him a favour? 

He hardly pissed the league with a much better squad than ours. 

I disagree with you.

538 out with predictions for various European leagues including our fair championship... have us squeaking into the playoffs. Probabilistic soccer modeling is fraught with difficulty but if there's anywhere it can work, a standard league season is the place. Guess this all hangs on how well their weighting of the relegated teams premier season went. Be interesting to track... more interesting than the endless newspaper etc. predictions anyway.

Top 8: Boro, Sunderland, Hull, Norwich, Fulham, Villa, Cardiff, Derby

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/championship/

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

538 out with predictions for various European leagues including our fair championship... have us squeaking into the playoffs. Probabilistic soccer modeling is fraught with difficulty but if there's anywhere it can work, a standard league season is the place. Guess this all hangs on how well their weighting of the relegated teams premier season went. Be interesting to track... more interesting than the endless newspaper etc. predictions anyway.

Top 8: Boro, Sunderland, Hull, Norwich, Fulham, Villa, Cardiff, Derby

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/championship/

If hull finish above us I'll be shocked