17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I mean, I agree that his football is outdated...but it got him promoted just a year ago, and also a year before that. It's not like this happened decades ago. So as much as I don't like it, it's proof that it can work however unlikely it may seem. 

I understand the results based logic of what you're saying Keyblade, but I honestly think that coaching in the Championship has improved dramatically with the introduction of more foreign coaches, and the willingness of British coaches to take the new ideas and tactics on board. It may only have  been a couple of years since Bruce took Hull up through the playoffs, but things have moved onwards and upwards considerably in that short space of time. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HAL said:

And how many of them look better when we play with some kind of a plan

I would be second guessing Hal....you would have to ask the man himself.

I would guess that even a parks manager would have a plan.....its whether the plan delivers a win is probably the crucial question.

I guess if a plan is not working it could be disguised as not having one in the first place.

we all want wins mate......and nothing else will do......and furthermore its the Kernel of everything we all talk about, relating to us getting up.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-struggle-achieve-automatic-13563087

Aston Villa will struggle to achieve automatic promotion says former midfielder

Aston Villa’s only chance of promotion is through the play-offs this season.

That’s the verdict of pundit and ex-Villa ace Paul Merson who feels Villa will struggle to make the top-two this term.

Writing in The Daily Star, Merson claimed Villa also need to change their formation to bring the best out of captain John Terry.

“Aston Villa were always going to be under pressure this season and I think the best they can hope for is the play-offs,” he wrote.

“I don’t see that a whole lot has changed there since last season, which is a worry, and they might need to change the system.

“I think they need to play three at the back with John Terry there. He has great experience but there are some quick players in that league.

“They need to play a three to free John up to control that defence and mop things up when it all breaks down.

“I would love to see them do well but I can’t see them winning that division.

“I think the best they can hope for is a play-off place.”

Villa have taken five points from their opening five games.

It’s the same return as last season under Roberto Di Matteo who was sacked after 12 games.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Haven't we tried that already and it didn't work.

True, I've always said I liked the idea of that system.

However, I don't trust Bruce with it.

He is the type to pick the right formation with the wrong players, in the wrong places.

As shown time and time again.

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He is the type to pick the right formation with the wrong players, in the wrong places.

11 players

• 1 goalkeeper
  • 4 traditional defenders.....2 x Cb 2 x FB

apart from last week i think we can all agree on that.......thats what he does.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

6 players left

• one winger
  • one holding midfielder
  • one attacking midfielder
  • one striker

he has done all of that in nearly every game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

that leaves 2 players to argue about how much Steve Bruce has mucked this team up.

over to you......JV this is a general comment.

Edited by TRO

21 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Agree mate. I think the big issue is the lack of options at CB aswell. But i think Hogan and Davis are made for each other, so something like this could work imo. 

Chester    RDL     Terry

Bree                                                     Taylor

Whelan

Onomah                     Hurihane 

Davis    Hogan

Imo, the one big benefit of 3 at the back is the ability to go 2 up top. Sadly i think Bruce would just pack in another DM.

12 hours ago, av1 said:

Agree mate. I think the big issue is the lack of options at CB aswell. But i think Hogan and Davis are made for each other, so something like this could work imo. 

Chester    RDL     Terry

Bree                                                     Taylor

Whelan

Onomah                     Hurihane 

Davis    Hogan

Imo, the one big benefit of 3 at the back is the ability to go 2 up top. Sadly i think Bruce would just pack in another DM.

When i see tactics like this i always worry we will get over run in midfield esp the way bruce has us set up!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-finish-mid-table-13581618

Aston Villa are set for another mid-table finish, according to a so-called super computer.

Steve Bruce's men are pushing for promotion this season but are set to struggle, predictions have revealed.

It's even worse for Birmingham City, though, who will finish in the bottom three, the table suggest.

PREDICTED LEAGUE TABLE OUTCOME

1. WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS

2. Hull City

3. Cardiff City

4. Leeds United

5. Middlesbrough

6. Fulham

7. Ipswich Town

8. Reading

9. Preston North End

10. Sheffield Wednesday

11. ASTON VILLA

12. Sheffield United

13. Norwich City

14. Derby County

15. Sunderland

16. Nottingham Forest

17. Brentford

18. QPR

19. Bristol City

20. Barnsley

21. Millwall

22. BIRMINGHAM CITY

23. Bolton Wanderers

24. Burton Albion

Image result for computer says no meme

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

It actually seems quite a realistic prediction table

They are basing it on a few games. Can cardiff maintain this run? Can ipswich? There is no way blose are going down and i cant see Sheffield United finishing so high especially over the likes of nottingham forest. I would be very suprised if we finish 11th.

If we do this season would have been a complete disaster.

On 9/4/2017 at 07:40, Demitri_C said:

When i see tactics like this i always worry we will get over run in midfield esp the way bruce has us set up!

I worry about getting  overrun when the players don't perform or do their jobs.

tactics can only take you so far......players have to do the business.

On 9/1/2017 at 18:01, villabromsgrove said:

I understand the results based logic of what you're saying Keyblade, but I honestly think that coaching in the Championship has improved dramatically with the introduction of more foreign coaches, and the willingness of British coaches to take the new ideas and tactics on board. It may only have  been a couple of years since Bruce took Hull up through the playoffs, but things have moved onwards and upwards considerably in that short space of time. 

Is that why Cardiff and Ipswich occupy the top 2 places with Dinasaur managers, for the want of a better word.?

;)

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

Which players do you feel aren't performing as they should be? Furthermore what are you basing this "performance level" expectation on? 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Not sure i agree with this. What players are you referring to in particular?