17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Was gonna start a relentlessly positive thread, but realised this existed. Got massive expectations now - regardless of the feeling towards Bruce. Yeah they will be dashed but yer can't help but feel like we have got the ingredients. Cue 5-1 Brizzle. 

Before I see tomorrow's performance I have no idea whether promotion is going to be a realistic possibility or a total pipe-dream. On the basis of our last couple of performances and the squad we have it should be well within our reach but our away form (both performances and results) has been relegation-tier.

• Like 2

We still need to sell players in order to meet FFP - I must admit that's come as a surprise to me - it looks like we need to sell Gardner, McCormack and possibly Elphick just to get under the FFP bar. I think promotion is a big ask this season and I think it's unlikely - with the losses we've made in recent years and the drop in parachute payments, next season might be harder still. 

Yup it's time to start winning games now and doing so consistently both home and away. Bristol should be fearful seeing us on their schedule, but I doubt they are. Lets show these fools!

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We still need to sell players in order to meet FFP - I must admit that's come as a surprise to me - it looks like we need to sell Gardner, McCormack and possibly Elphick just to get under the FFP bar. I think promotion is a big ask this season and I think it's unlikely - with the losses we've made in recent years and the drop in parachute payments, next season might be harder still. 

With the wages we have contracted ourselves to spend on this summers imports im not surprised we have gone over ffp rules. In fact id say we are above where we were at the end of last season. Its a gamble but so far none of them worry me that its not money well spent.

In doing this im a lot more optimistic of promotion than you are though!

Loans have impressed me this season. SJ has come back so we have consistency in the GK department. Onomah is class, signing of the summer potentially. Snodgrass coming in gives us options and experience. 3 quality loan additions. We really should have explored the loan market more last year.

Still room for another loan body, Steve.

• Like 1

If we can't start beating the likes of Bristol City away from home we can forget it. Our away form had to change, if it doesn't we will be in this league for a very long time and financially crippled. 

This time last year at Bristol we lined up with

Gollini

RDL - Chester - Elphick - Cissokho

Bacuna - Jedi - Westwood

Grealish - Mcormack - Ayew

This year (including Snodgrass for the sake of it)

Johnstone

Elmo - Chester - Terry - Taylor

Snodgrass - Whelan - Hourihane - Green

Hogan - Davis 

We were NEVER getting promoted last year. This year? Why the hell not!

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Gollini

Bacuna - Jedi - Westwood

Johnstone

Hogan - Davis 

Allow me to represent the naysayers.

- because of Steve 'potato' Bruce.

- because we are cursed.

- because of Gabby and his shisha pipe.

- because of Tony Xia using twitter.

- because of Randy destroying our club.

- because Doris the tea lady starting to supply lemon tea.

- because Hutton, although 'gives his All' every game, is a turd.

Edited by dounavilla
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Gollini

Bacuna - Jedi - Westwood

Johnstone

Hogan - Davis 

Those line ups really put things into perspective, bloody hell.

But lest we forget "I haven't had millions to spend".

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Am I right in thinking they changed the penalties for breaching FFP now. I'm pretty sure I read that you will be refused entry into the premier league if you are in the automatic promotion places and if you clinch a playoff spot you get demoted so the 7th place team replaces you.

I'm not going to say that we have the best squad in the division but I reckon if you offered every one of the other 23 managers an opportunity to swap their entire squad with ours I think each would do it.

If they gel, if it clicks, if Bruce stops his war of words with fans, it will be great.

Has to start tonight, opportunity to bury two demons in an away game on Sky against a side doing well themselves, if we win I think it'll really set us up, lose and everyone will be on Bruce's back again and it could quickly turn to shit, pivotal match in my opinion tonight.

• Like 1

A point away tonight against a team that will not lose too many home games this season is an improvement on the 1-3 defeat we got there last season. We made a poor start to this season but have won our last home game and drawn our last away game.

Winning every home game and drawing every away game would give us 92 points and likely automatic promotion. At the moment we need to make up 4 points to get up to where we should now be to hit that end of season target. We will not win all our home games and will lose some of our away games during the rest of the season but I think that we may just win more away games than we did last season and enough to get us to that target or at least to enough to make it to the play-off lottery. Nil desperandum (just yet) ;)  

• Like 1