17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

On 26/08/2017 at 19:27, Eastie said:

Leeds are a worry for me.

Mate with Bruce in charge there is about 20 teams that worry me. 

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Blose I would say are now a threat. In fact with jota and sk g as well as well as Gallagher and some of these youngsters I think they are more o a threat than derby

Blues could be a threat to the teams in and around the play off places. If they are a threat to us we have messed up!

• Like 1

I think Small Heath just might end up top after their signings (of the bottom half of the table);).

Getting back to our promotion charge we are stronger after this window and need to try and maintain our home form and get out of the habit of losing away. It will be tough but I think we may just about get one of the automatic places or at least a ticket to the play-off lottery.  Nothing less would be good enough. 

Edited by John
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, John said:

I think Small Heath just might end up top after their signings (of the bottom half of the table);).

Getting back to our promotion charge we are stronger after this window and need to try and maintain our home form and get out of the habit of losing away. It will be tough but I think we may just about get one of the automatic places or at least a ticket to the play-off lottery.  Nothing less would be good enough. 

Not  to finish top 2 with this squad would be failure - we have a good run of fixtures in September and need to get ourselves right back up there this month - if not I think Bruce will be gone .

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Blues could be a threat to the teams in and around the play off places. If they are a threat to us we have messed up!

Agreed , I see Leeds , boro , wolves and derby and maybe Fulham as our main rivals - of those Leeds worry me most . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Not  to finish top 2 with this squad would be failure - we have a good run of fixtures in September and need to get ourselves right back up there this month - if not I think Bruce will be gone .

Top 2 has to be the target but I think that there will not be much between Leeds, Wolves, Fulham, Boro, Sheffield Wednesday and us at the end of the season. I just hope that we are one of the two that shades an automatic promotion place. Going up through the play-off lottery would not be failure another season down here would be. 

This month is crucial and I agree we need to climb the table by taking near to maximum points from the games we face. 16 points this month would be nice and would see us near to if not in the top six. I doubt that Bruce's job will come under serious question from the Doc unless we are outside the top 10 at the end of the month.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

We have the best squad in the league, so the biggest threat to our chances of promotion is Steve Bruce. 

I don't think we do, I think as a squad we are unbalanced and there is a lot of deadwood and has been's in our squad too. I think we are weak upfront and over reliant on Kodjia and I still think the squad lacks pace in midfield and defence.

We should be top 8 but I don't think we are an automatic promotion team. Too many players at the club here for a payday and not enough fight in the team to get promoted.

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

I don't think we do, I think as a squad we are unbalanced and there is a lot of deadwood and has been's in our squad too. I think we are weak upfront and over reliant on Kodjia and I still think the squad lacks pace in midfield and defence.

We should be top 8 but I don't think we are an automatic promotion team. Too many players at the club here for a payday and not enough fight in the team to get promoted.

I agree that the squad is unbalanced, i would have liked to see another left winger come in. But i have to disagree with the idea that we 'should be top 8' mate. If this squad finishes outside the top 3 or 4 it will be a huge cock up of a season. 

The squad is there imo. 

A reality check is needed were rivals to the midtable championship clubs.

Imo we have not improved since last season so we will finish around 10th again.

I think saying were rivals to Leeds, Cardiff e.t.c is a bit deluded do people forget how clueless our manager is. It doesn't matter that we have the best squad on paper.

Edited by AshVilla

By definition a "Promotion Charge" requires a positive attempt to get promoted. You cannot play negatively and try to set yourself up not to lose while hoping to snatch a win, and expect to finish top two in the league. Unless something drastically changes (soon) it isn't happening.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

By definition a "Promotion Charge" requires a positive attempt to get promoted. You cannot play negatively and try to set yourself up not to lose while hoping to snatch a win, and expect to finish top two in the league. Unless something drastically changes (soon) it isn't happening.

He's presumably done it twice with Hull so I don't know about that.

31 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He's presumably done it twice with Hull so I don't know about that.

He's done it before with Brucie football. Keeping it tight at the back and breaking down the wings (right wing mainly).

The problem is other teams have moved on and Bruce is still doing the same thing. Even very average teams play more effective football than we do.

My concern is that he's thinking exactly the same thoughts as you appear to be, "I've done it before, I'll do it again." He will not get us promoted with out of date football. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

He's done it before with Brucie football. Keeping it tight at the back and breaking down the wings (right wing mainly).

The problem is other teams have moved on and Bruce is still doing the same thing. Even very average teams play more effective football than we do.

My concern is that he's thinking exactly the same thoughts as you appear to be, "I've done it before, I'll do it again." He will not get us promoted with out of date football. 

I mean, I agree that his football is outdated...but it got him promoted just a year ago, and also a year before that. It's not like this happened decades ago. So as much as I don't like it, it's proof that it can work however unlikely it may seem. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KHV said:

That is a suspicion/concern.