17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Surely, the fact they are in front of us means we have to catch them. 

Bristol will slip up. Wont even make the 6 imo. Neither will Sheffield. 

I can see Bristol finishing top six more than Sheffield united. I think they will to be honest. I think 2nd to play offs will comprise of us, Cardiff, Bristol city, Leeds, derby, boro and possibly Ipswich. I think Sheffield united might drop off. I think Wednesday and Fulham could also make a late charge.

46 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Well yes, but that is down to us and what we do .  To catch Cardiff they have to slip up while we don't. 

Whichever way you look at it, we have to catch the teams above us. To suggest anything else is to defy basic mathematics.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rubberman said:

We don't have to 'catch' Bristol or Sheffield - win our games with them and we are ahead assuming other results are matched.  Those are in our control.  Cardiff have to slip up for us to catch them. 

I believe that the point being made is that it’s in our hands to catch Bristol and Sheffield by winning our games against them, which is not the the case for Cardiff.

So we have to catch them but we can do that when we meet without worrying about their other results, as long as we don’t fall further behind.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Not great. Now have to at least get four points against derby and Sheff Utd to get us back on track.

You mean 6 points.

We really needed 9 points against Millwall, Derby and Sheffield to start catching second place.

Fully expected to win today so that is a poor poor result. Performance sounded even worse.

Not good. We're going to have to win a couple of the big games over xmas to stay in touch. Can't say I fancy us much at Derby with Elphick probably starting and the form they're in.

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If we faulter over the xmas period and fall out of the play offs, then I think that's us done.

If that happens then I think the scales swing back to a managerial change being advantageous. The likelihood of automatic promotion will be pretty remote and a playoff place probably 50:50 or at best 60:40. So if a suitable candidate is available then the risk of change, I believe is acceptable. 

If we get it right then we will get the playoff place. Then if the lottery falls our way then perfect we have the man on place to take us forward. Similarly if we don’t go up the new man should be able to hit the ground running. 

Of course we could pick another dud and be back to square one. Oh God when’s it all going to end!!!!????