17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It will be difficult but certainly not impossible. wolves struggled second half against a very poor blose side in the midfield half. if they were playing someone better they could have lost that game i think 

I do not think Wolves have this league sealed in all honesty.

Let's see how much of a gap they still have once January is here.

55 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I do not think Wolves have this league sealed in all honesty.

Let's see how much of a gap they still have once January is here.

I agree when it comes to end of season if they slip up and have a few teams breathing down their neck they could struggle with the pressure.

They might not but i have a feeling they will hit a rough patch eventually

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Totally agree. 26 games and 78 points left to play for.

It's theirs to lose, but there's a looong way to go yet.

We have to remember that in the last 12 games, we have made up ZERO points on second place.

and thats whilst having a very good run of wins.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We have to remember that in the last 12 games, we have made up ZERO points on second place.

...but we have made up ground on all the other teams that were above us, nearly the whole league. 

Fair play to Cardiff, they too have kept up the pace, but the leaders always will, thats why they are at the top.

All we are trying to do is keep ourselves in striking distance, nothing will be sorted till the last few games

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Possibly, but we have got closer to second than what we where 12 games ago.

Everything will be fine.

• Like 1

Nothing decided yet but it's Wolves' to lose. Everything else is up for grabs imo. Obviously we have to keep up our end of the bargain. Starting with a win at home to Millwall would be nice and hopefully another 3 points in the bag.

We need to take as many points off Derby and Sheff Utd (twice) and at home to the top 3 as we can. 7 games there - 21 points - those games are huge. We have 3 of them in the next 6 games too. (Derby [a], Sheff Utd and Bristol City)

Tricky looking away games at Middlesbrough, Brentford, Sheff Weds, Millwall, Forest, Fulham and Ipswich to come (along with the trips to Derby and Sheff Utd). Those 7 away games also look crucial. Away trips to Bolton, Sunderland, Norwich and Hull we need wins. - 33 points up for grabs on the road there (without counting the Sheff Utd and Derby games again) and while most of the teams up the top have yet to come to Villa Park, we have a lot of the middle of the table teams to visit yet.

We need to put away QPR, Barnsley, Burton and Preston again when they come visiting Villa Park. Leeds, SHA and Reading wont be easy at home in the other 3 home fixtures. There's the other 21 points though. 

78 left to play for. And we are 56 short of the 92 points of the mystical 2 ppg average.

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It will be difficult but certainly not impossible. wolves struggled second half against a very poor blose side in the midfield half. if they were playing someone better they could have lost that game i think 

They still won the game. We didn't when we went there.

• Like 1

Going to make a prediction now. Sky are going to televise the sheffield Wednesday game as its another ground we lost to last season.

They have deliberately shown the away games at leeds, preston, brentford, forest, wolves games (all games we lost last season) so why not add this.

I find it incredible that they have only shown us against hull at villa park so far.

I don't believe that this is for viewing figures as how many leeds games have they shown at home in comparison same with wolves. 

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Going to make a prediction now. Sky are going to televise the sheffield Wednesday game as its another ground we lost to last season.

They have deliberately shown the away games at leeds, preston, brentford, forest, wolves games (all games we lost last season) so why not add this.

I find it incredible that they have only shown us against hull at villa park so far.

I don't believe that this is for viewing figures as how many leeds games have they shown at home in comparison same with wolves. 

Im quite glad they have shown more away games, not least for the fact that the closure of the top tier of the DE combined with the mostly muted atmosphere does not show us in a good light.

Just realised Cardiff have got the Monday night slot, away to Reading.

Would be an awful time to drop points, get the gap down to 4 points and see what Cardiff do. Reading have picked up recently so would like to think they could hold Cardiff to a draw.

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just realised Cardiff have got the Monday night slot, away to Reading.

Would be an awful time to drop points, get the gap down to 4 points and see what Cardiff do. Reading have picked up recently so would like to think they could hold Cardiff to a draw.

Then they have hull city who have just appointed a new manager. Let's hope for Adkins bounce

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Then they have hull city who have just appointed a new manager. Let's hope for Adkins bounce

A shrewd appointment in my view. Can definitely see Cardiff dropping points over Christmas. 

We just need to make sure we put ourselves in a position to capitalise as soon as we can. Although if we capitalise April/May that’s all that matters!!

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

A shrewd appointment in my view. Can definitely see Cardiff dropping points over Christmas. 

We just need to make sure we put ourselves in a position to capitalise as soon as we can. Although if we capitalise April/May that’s all that matters!!

I think he will do well there to be honest. Some were creaming about Slutsky and to get rid of Bruce but the slutsky appointment reminds me abit of the RDM appointment but RDM x10 worse as he had a significant amount of money. 

As for Cardiff their team is picking up injuries at the worst time so hopefully we start seeing the effects of that. I am confident if by January we are not something stupid like 7-10 points behind them we will finish above them should we stay injury free..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Bristol City playing Sheff united today. I will take  draw thanks and if we win we go third tomorrow! 

Agree, big psychological step that in leading the pack of chasers!

TBH i think both these two are in inflated positions anyway.  I think the likes of Middlesbrough, leeds and Derby will overtake them before christmas is out.