17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Well there’s nothing wrong with a bit of optimism, but the stats aren’t so encouraging. We are currently averaging 1.76 points per game, it is considered that we need 2 points per game over the season to get into the top two. To enable us to do that, from now on we need to average 2.2 points per game. In actual points, that means we can only drop another 20 points in the next 25 games. I wouldn’t put a great deal of money on that happening. 

I preffer your scenario though :)

It seems unlikely on face value but if you break that 20 points down:

5 defeats

5 draws

It actually wouldn't be too dissimilar to our form over the past few months......I think.....

edit - not saying that I think we'll manage this by the way

Edited by bannedfromHandV

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It seems unlikely on face value but if you break that 20 points down:

5 defeats

5 draws

It actually wouldn't be too dissimilar to our form over the past few months......I think.....

edit - not saying that I think we'll manage this by the way

You're more or less right. We've dropped 25 points out of 21 games but that includes the abysmal start where we were a shambles.

So much can happen yet.

The poor start will cost us more than the recent slip ups (if you count coming from a goal down at Leeds as a slip up).

1 win from our opening 7 games. We didn't beat Hull on the opening day which I thought at the time was a poor result and we also lost at Reading who didn't win again for another two months.

Cardiff I think won their first 4 or 5 games so we immediately gave them a 10 point head start which is proving a problem at present.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, villianusa said:

No, they are exactly the same. Two games on form and paper both teams should have won, they didn't. Nothing to do if they are exceptions or not, the point is games don't always go the way they should. Just ask Chelsea.

Well, if you cannot see that an occasional blip is different to a consistent blip, we have nothing to discuss.

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Cant look at it like that.  Keeps them in realistic striking range even though we dropped points.

Very frustrating though. We needed them to drop points when we were beating QPR, Sunderland and Ipswich. They won on all those nights.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Very frustrating though. We needed them to drop points when we were beating QPR, Sunderland and Ipswich. They won on all those nights.

I know its not much but if result stays like this we are one point closer to them

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Reading shpuld be 3 up. Cardiff starting to pick up injuries now like us and losing.  Their injuries have only been short term ones. Imagine they had the lengthy ones we had?

Not this one again. Their best striker hasn't played since October!

Cardiff City believe Kenneth Zohore's injury problem has been resolved but he will not be rushed back into action.

The Danish striker, 23, was impressive at the start of the campaign but has missed nearly two months after an ankle problem was aggravated by scar tissue damage from a previous injury.

Zohore will again be missing for Monday's Championship game at Reading.

"He looks bright again because he knows we have got to the bottom of his problem," manager Neil Warnock said.

"He was in so much pain and we talked about him running it off. But he was adamant how painful it was.

"When the surgeon went in it was one of the worst he'd ever seen - he had never seen so much scar tissue in one area. So the pain was legitimate.

"You can see the relief on his face because he knows he just has to get himself fit. He'll be building up now, but I won't rush him. We're going to have him for 2018 and that is going to be important."

Midfielder Aron Gunnarsson is a doubt for Monday's game at Reading with an ankle injury, while striker Freddie Gounongbe will be sidelined for a few months with what is believed to be a groin injury.

Cardiff are also without long-term casualties Jazz Richards, Lee Camp and Kadeem Harris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42263556

• Like 1

Cardiff will fall into the pack, just have to stay in this pack over this period.

Still think we have as good a chance as anybody, it just looks difficult at this moment as we have a few hard games coming up off the back of a disappointing (but not catastrophic) result!