17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I believe we'll finish 2nd. I think it's likely as I believe Cardiff will struggle second half of the season with all the tough away games they have. We've visited most of them and much more confident facing the top side at VP.

Still a good 10 or so points off Wolves.

It's not like I'm deluded bigging up our chances. In 15/16 I called relegation as early as the West Brom home game (in September) as we had nothing in our team that year to win games. I also thought we'd go down in the Lambert first season so that was a pleasant surprise.

Last season I never thought at any stage we'd get in the play offs despite the excitement when we had a good run this time last year and again in March.

We weren't ready as a team or club. This time I do think we're ready.

FWIW i think we will finish 4th.....but I hope you are right.

• Like 1

I think it's a good thing that sheffield utd were beaten by our next opponents. If Millwall came to villa park on the back of a loss we might of took our eye off the ball, literally and figuratively . Hopefully prepare well all week and execute on Saturday. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think it's a good thing that sheffield utd were beaten by our next opponents. If Millwall came to villa park on the back of a loss we might of took our eye off the ball, literally and figuratively . Hopefully prepare well all week and execute on Saturday. 

Good point, we definitely won't underestimate them now. But if we can't be beating teams like millwall at home then we don't deserve to be in top two

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Always the fear with all the relative big games over December to take our eye off the ball for this one. 

This 3 points is vital, real must win game.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Good point, we definitely won't underestimate them now. But if we can't be beating teams like millwall at home then we don't deserve to be in top two

Agreed. 

Anything can happen in 1 game (play-off final), but there isn't a team in this league that we should fear over 2 legs. 

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

At home.

Away from home they struggle for goals don't they?

Yeh that's true but they managed draws away to Cardiff and Bristol City and lost by 1 goal at Wolves. 

I imagine they will be hard to break down and a draw will be like a defeat.

• Like 1

I think it is increasingly looking like the top 6 will stay in that position with teams outside dropping points like Leeds and much fancied Boro. If Cardiff can stop winning that we might have a chance of getting 2nd. Personally I think we are to come up a bit short and its going to be the bowel movement enhancing playoffs for us. Gulp. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

We have to beat Millwall - it's the most winnable of the next batch of games.

Millwall (h) Derby (a) Sheff Utd (h) Brentford (a) Boro (a)

Need 9 points - win the home games and draw away.

Yeah, those Derby and Sheffield United games are looking massive right now. Need to get through this period or we will fall away from automatic. 

Its not other teams I fear, with perhaps the exception of Wolves......Its us I fear.

maintaining form and keeping fit/injury free.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

People fearing the play-offs; how would you fancy them if it transpires that we played the two-legged semi-final against say Derby, drawing the first leg and beating them in a ding-dong battle at Villa Park to get to Wembley. Then, we get someone like Cardiff or Boro and beat them. 

I'm sure there would be plenty of people loving that if it happened, especially after so many losing appearances at Wembley in recent years. 

54 minutes ago, villarocker said:

People fearing the play-offs; how would you fancy them if it transpires that we played the two-legged semi-final against say Derby, drawing the first leg and beating them in a ding-dong battle at Villa Park to get to Wembley. Then, we get someone like Cardiff or Boro and beat them. 

I'm sure there would be plenty of people loving that if it happened, especially after so many losing appearances at Wembley in recent years. 

It would be a better way to go up than finishing second for sure (although think we'd get a trophy for that).

However to show I haven't totally got it in for One for the Road's way of thinking I tend to agree with him that I worry we'd bottle the play offs.

We usually freeze in cup finals at Wembley and just think of the pressure we'd be under when it starts. Would probably be the clear favourites and just thinking about all the press consantly giving out it would mean 100m + for the club going up.

I wouldn't fancy us tbh. To me with the position we're in now it's second place or bust.