17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I believe we'll finish 2nd. I think it's likely as I believe Cardiff will struggle second half of the season with all the tough away games they have. We've visited most of them and much more confident facing the top side at VP.

Still a good 10 or so points off Wolves.

It's not like I'm deluded bigging up our chances. In 15/16 I called relegation as early as the West Brom home game (in September) as we had nothing in our team that year to win games. I also thought we'd go down in the Lambert first season so that was a pleasant surprise.

Last season I never thought at any stage we'd get in the play offs despite the excitement when we had a good run this time last year and again in March.

We weren't ready as a team or club. This time I do think we're ready.

So, to answer my question, you believe it is more likely that we will finish 2nd than 3rd or lower?

I'm not really sure what the point you're trying to get at. I've outline my reasons in that post quoted why I think we can nick ahead of Cardiff for 2nd. I've posted the fixtures in April-May which Cardiff have when I believe they will struggle and we can nip ahead of them. I've also admitted I don't fancy us in a play off situation. I'm not sure what else I can say.

I only starting chipping away at your posts when you said you didn't think it was likely we'd even finish in the play offs (around the time of Terry's injury) which I thought was a strange thing to post given we were winning plenty of games at that point. Given since then we've strengthened our postion in the top 6 do you feel that prediction may have been a little pessimistic yourself.

Way I see it after Sheff Weds defeat on November 4th we were 6 points behind Sheffield United. In the month since we've reduced the gap to one point.

If we can do that to them we can do it to Cardiff City with so many games left.

• Like 3

I know I'm butting in here, but I personally rate our chances of making second as something like one in four.  The managers are pretty much a wash, we have the bigger and better squad, but they have seven points head start. Bottom line, points on the board are more valuable than strength on the bench.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, supermon said:

We'll have to rotate the teams quite a fair bit with the games coming up, would rather see Eisah Sulaiman play in defence over Elphick. 

Think the likes of Snodgrass, Whelan and Davies also need resting

I get Elphick hasn’t set the World alight but why would you prefer Sulaiman?

The way I see it, Wolves look favourites and different class at the moment. Barring a major drop off in form, or a few injuries to key players I make them favourite for promotion.

Second place is very much up for grabs. I don’t think Cardiff/Sheffield Utd/Bristol City or any of the others are drastically better than anyone else.

It is a long season, teams will have ups and downs between now and the end of the season. I would not like to predict second place as I think it could be one of a number of teams at this moment in time. I am happy that we are one of them at the moment. We need a bit of luck, players to recover/stay fit, and a couple of good additions to the squad in January and we have a decent chance. 

• Like 3

If Wolves beat the unwashed lot tonight then we can rule out once and for all catching them. 2nd place is still up for grabs although I must admit I'm surprised Cardiff haven't dropped off yet. Bristol look a good side as well. Hopefully our squad depth (when injuries return) will make the difference 2nd half of the season.  

2 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

If Wolves beat the unwashed lot tonight then we can rule out once and for all catching them. 2nd place is still up for grabs although I must admit I'm surprised Cardiff haven't dropped off yet. Bristol look a good side as well. Hopefully our squad depth (when injuries return) will make the difference 2nd half of the season.  

If you haven't lost hope of first yet, I don't know why 3 more points are going to suddenly dash them. lol

6 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

Na, I say they have yet to have their sticky patch.

I think we will have a better honest idea after Dec fixtures.

Ohhhhh heck... who cares? Promotion can't be achieved until some time in 2018 at the earliest.

Come on... ten days until Episode 8... get your priorities right people...

14th December - my birthday... Episode 8 (IMAX 3D), Five Guys Burger (peanut butter milkshake ftw) and then Episode 8 again with 3 scoops of Baskin Robbins.

Promotion can wait.

But to keep the warning points at bay... 2nd is all to play for. Let's roll Millwall right over...

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

I get Elphick hasn’t set the World alight but why would you prefer Sulaiman?

Just from what ive watched when he plays in the under 23s, he seems to be a very good CB in the making. Elphick from recollection was pretty woeful

Really want to see our youth given a chance to assist the depleted squad. Think Sulaiman, rhm, McKirdy, JDH, O'hare can all help the team. I think they'll play with no fear and will contribute, even if is cameo roles off the bench

• Like 1

5 hours ago, supermon said:

Just from what ive watched when he plays in the under 23s, he seems to be a very good CB in the making. Elphick from recollection was pretty woeful

Really want to see our youth given a chance to assist the depleted squad. Think Sulaiman, rhm, McKirdy, JDH, O'hare can all help the team. I think they'll play with no fear and will contribute, even if is cameo roles off the bench

It was that newcastle game, where elphick made a huge error. Up until that game he was very good. Just never recovered this far. 

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'd fancy us to win playoffs. We have a cup team kind of style if you know what I mean?

I think our style of stifling the opposition ( with a full team) and countering is suited to that.

I would fancy us if we do finish in the top 6.

17 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

According to my sources, this is the first team squads who are near us in terms of numbers

Wolves-34

Villa -29

Cardiff -29

Sheff Utd -27

Bristol -26

Middlesborough -26

Leeds - 28

Derby-27

We have the least strikers with 5.......Bristol/Borough/Leeds have the least defenders in 8.......Derby have the least midfielders in 6

Wolves have the lowest average age in 23.........Cardiff /Bristol/Derby have the highest average age in 28

I think this strongest squad malarkey is a bit subjective.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Maybe if we actually beat a top 6 team even once this season I'd have hope for us winning the playoffs.

Well, we haven't played a top 6 team at home yet only Ipswich in 7th....that maybe a reason.

We have played the top 3 away already granted and 2 games was when we was in our iffy start.

I am not sure, what you can glean from that.

We have played many teams in the lower echelons, but they will become scrappers in the second half of the season, so could be a good thing, who knows.

The fixtures are what they are,we all have to play each other at some time, by the time the crocuses rear their heads, we will know a lot more.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, we haven't played a top 6 team at home yet only Ipswich in 7th....that maybe a reason.

We have played the top 3 away already granted and 2 games was when we was in our iffy start.

I am not sure, what you can glean from that.

We have played many teams in the lower echelons, but they will become scrappers in the second half of the season, so could be a good thing, who knows.

The fixtures are what they are,we all have to play each other at some time, by the time the crocuses rear their heads, we will know a lot more.

In our 25 games against top 6 opponents (last season's as well as this season's current top 6 for argument's sake...without including Leeds who just missed out on the top 6 last season and are currently hovering around it) our record is as follows:

P25 W7 D7 L11

28 points out of a possible 75 (including Leeds would be 30 points out of a possible 84).

Be honest, would you be surprised if we didn't beat a top 6 side for the rest of the season? I wouldn't. That tells you all you need to know. If we have to duke it out in the playoffs, we already lost imo.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

In our 25 games against top 6 opponents (last season's as well as this season's current top 6 for argument's sake...without including Leeds who just missed out on the top 6 last season and are currently hovering around it) our record is as follows:

P25 W7 D7 L11

28 points out of a possible 75 (including Leeds would be 30 points out of a possible 84).

Be honest, would you be surprised if we didn't beat a top 6 side for the rest of the season? I wouldn't. That tells you all you need to know. If we have to duke it out in the playoffs, we already lost imo.

Yes, I would be surprised.

but if you are talking about our current 11, then I could be swayed by you.....We need our key players to fulfill my view.....or at least strengthen in Jan.

I must say though, I struggle to include anything from last season in terms of appraisal, such was the dishevelled squad and the amount of WIP we had going on. I really do struggle to see any kind of judgment to be gleaned from a team that was suffering as much as us, from the past. Sunderland may be a decent side next season, but any analyst would be reluctant to appraise Chis Coleman on the basis of this season when he is trying to mend a broken mentality, much like Bruce did last season.

"you have to put your feet in the blocks, before you can run.......we couldn't even find our spikes for much of last season"

I think we came in to this season, still not fixed in terms of resilience and cohesion.whilst we have improved that, the guile of the team still needs much work......and we are in a promotion fight.

Edited by TRO

16 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

Iffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff!!!!!!!!