17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

45 minutes ago, ender4 said:

You mean 6 points.

We really needed 9 points against Millwall, Derby and Sheffield to start catching second place.

This is now. Hadd we won today we can afford a draw for either one of those games. Now we need to win both and we are not going to win at derby. Really bad result today they flopped. Three

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

2nd place is gone, now we hope we stay in the playoffs  

Logically it’s been long gone we’ve never been close to averaging the 2 points per game needed originally, still less the 2.2 or so it’s been for a while. And which we do now. 

For a side to average 2.2 points they have to be very very good. It’d be equivalent to over 100 points over a season.

We are nowhere near that level.

Indeed over the last few weeks, when optimism has built up, we’ve averaged 1.8 points per game for 10 games.

That Form gets us to 82 points and possibly in the Play Offs..... Automatic Promotion is indeed nowhere near.

• Like 3

2nd place is most likely beyond us. We are not quite strong enough to achieve it even though I do think Cardiff will drop points. I think we will continue to drop them also. 

I do think we should still make top 6 though. But it won't be easy.

Injuries to key players are really hitting us hard his season. 

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Logically it’s been long gone we’ve never been close to averaging the 2 points per game needed originally, still less the 2.2 or so it’s been for a while. And which we do now. 

For a side to average 2.2 points they have to be very very good. It’d be equivalent to over 100 points over a season.

We are nowhere near that level.

Indeed over the last few weeks, when optimism has built up, we’ve averaged 1.8 points per game for 10 games.

That Form gets us to 82 points and possibly in the Play Offs..... Automatic Promotion is indeed nowhere near.

No team ever needed 92 points to get promoted - if we average 2 points per game we will finish on 87 which may well be enough to win promotion .

we have taken 36 from the last 18 games , everything is very much still possible .

A couple of weeks ago people were saying we wouldn’t catch sheff utd and we are already above them - the biggest threat is derby .

• Like 1

Still think we have a very good chance of automatic promotion,we should be struggling to be in playoffs with the injuries we have had  Kodjia and Jedinak haven't really played 2 of our best players have had 1 fit striker with the last month if we can bring in a couple in Jan we will give the top 2 a serious rattle think Cardiff will start dropping points too ,we just need to get through xmas  still being in contention 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

No team ever needed 92 points to get promoted - if we average 2 points per game we will finish on 87 which may well be enough to win promotion .

we have taken 36 from the last 18 games , everything is very much still possible .

A couple of weeks ago people were saying we wouldn’t catch sheff utd and we are already above them - the biggest threat is derby .

You are supremely welcome to your view. And you are certainly factually correct to say all things are possible.

If you get 2 points a game you get promoted, if you don’t, you probably won’t. Yes I accept 90 is fine which is fractionally under 2.

My Post says just exactly what I wanted to say.

As for the subjective stuff about who is and isn’t a threat, and which people were saying what, yup, it’s all good debating material, all opinions make sense.

Personally I think anyone who thinks we will get Automatic Promotion is going to be disappointed.

Edited by terrytini
Agree 90 not 92

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

2nd place is most likely beyond us. We are not quite strong enough to achieve it even though I do think Cardiff will drop points. I think we will continue to drop them also. 

I do think we should still make top 6 though. But it won't be easy.

Injuries to key players are really hitting us hard his season. 

Hmmm.... we were doing just as well/ badly  before the injuries as after ?

I think we are where our performances deserve us to be.

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Hmmm.... we were doing just as well/ badly  before the injuries as after ?

I think we are where our performances deserve us to be.

True but I think having key players out for a stretch eventually takes its toll. 

We were crying out for a bit of Kodija magic today or some John Terry leadership. 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

True but I think having key players out for a stretch eventually takes its toll. 

We were crying out for a bit of Kodija magic today or some John Terry leadership. 

Agree totally. Kodja was vital.

45 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Smh, so if we were two points better off today we’d still have a shot at automatic places but because we drew yesterday that’s it, noooooo chance in hell, cmon guys.

No, but once we've seen the end of December it'll most likely be the case.

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Smh, so if we were two points better off today we’d still have a shot at automatic places but because we drew yesterday that’s it, noooooo chance in hell, cmon guys.

It's not just 2 points dropped, it's that we dropped 2 points when our rivals didn't, that we deserved to lose, at home, to a team in 17th before the game,  and looked completely hopeless.

• Like 2

I genuinely belive we will finish 5th and lose in the play off semis, will be massively shocked if we finish 2nd and I imagine it would be down to teams around us falling off massively in the second half of the season rather than us consistantly playing well and winning. There's still hope though i suppose! 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Only if we beat derby will yesterday's result not matter as much and there is no way in hell we are winnin at pride park

No way Villa or Wolves should have drawn their games yesterday, but they did. Games don't always go the way form or fans predict.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Well I’ve thought and said - as have others - Automatic is beyond us since October, and it is valid to revisit it when we take 2 points out of 6, just like it would be valid for someone who thinks Automatic is a valid shout to raise it if we get 6 from 6.

1 hour ago, villianusa said:

No way Villa or Wolves should have drawn their games yesterday, but they did. Games don't always go the way form or fans predict.

But that was an exception for Wolves, it is not exceptional for us. Big difference.