Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

45 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hogan was just a massive panic buy who isn't good enough.

I'm not sure "panic buy" is quite right.  Perhaps it's more a case of buying people who have been successful in this division, in the belief that they will necessarily continue to be successful.  Bruce, Kodjia, McCormack are examples.  Some will work, some won't.

It suggests a superstitious approach rather than a coherent plan with some reasoning and logic behind it.  It appears unimaginative and lacking in creativity and original thought.

But Hogan is a player who has succeeded at this level, and could again.  Can those running the club and coaching the players explain in what circumstances he will be effective, what formations, what type of support?  I'd be interested to hear about it.

• Like 2

I just can’t see Hogan fitting into things at Aston Villa. I’m not sure what system he would suit, but in a 4-2-3-1 he seems isolated and I think Kodjia is more suited to playing with Davis as a foil in a 4-4-2.

I think this is similar to the situation with Lansbury and Hourihane that I spoke about when they both signed. They’re too similar and as a result, you can’t play both. Sure, there will be injuries over the course of a season, but the way Bruce plays just doesn’t compliment him at all. The ideal scenario for Hogan would be Bruce getting sacked and a new manager coming in and tweaking the system. He’d also benefit from a player like Grealish being in the team.

It’s all just a bit ‘meh’ with Hogan, but he certainly isn’t a bad player.

16 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It's shambolic spending that amount of money on two players who contribute nothing. 

Hogan was just a massive panic buy who isn't good enough. It's been clear for ages that he's not up to it. He just hasn't got the attributes. 

Disagree - but he's completely wrong for us/Bruce.

Bruce mustn't like him at all. He'd have been ideal to play with Davis in a 442 yet I don't think they've even been on the pitch together let alone start. Bruce is back to the Kodija game plan now and it'll become more prevalent as he gets fitter. Keep it tight and hope he scores. Hogan will probably be gone in Jan. 

Â