Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not sure what he's done to warrant the call up persay, but hopefully a nice boost for the lad which can translate to better form on the pitch.

He's as good or better than what we (Ireland) have got.  He does have 3 goals this season in the Rumbelows remember :D The change of scenery might be a breath of fresh air for him.

Few things are as frustrating as our absolute inability to get the best from a player who could and should (and indeed has) scored plenty at this level.

I don’t personally subscribe to the various criticisms levelled against him, I entirely blame the management and coaching staff for his ineffective start at Villa.

What makes it even more frustrating is how immediately obvious it was in January that this is what would happen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Few things are as frustrating as our absolute inability to get the best from a player who could and should (and indeed has) scored plenty at this level.

I don’t personally subscribe to the various criticisms levelled against him, I entirely blame the management and coaching staff for his ineffective start at Villa.

What makes it even more frustrating is how immediately obvious it was in January that this is what would happen.

I think our coaching is poor and we haven't got the best out of players. But with Hogan there's just so much I see wrong with him, it was a terrible signing. He's not that good and we can't get the limited ability he does have out of him. 

I'd be looking to try and get some money back in January and bring in someone else. 

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Congrats to Hogan getting a senior call-up for the Republic of Ireland squad.  It would be great for Villa if some international form could kickstart his league season for us too.  His first qualifier will be against Moldova, and with Jon Walters out, you'd imagine there's a damn good chance he'll feature.  Fingers crossed he starts :D 

I can't say i watched enough (if any) of the Irish national team to comment on the style of play. Is it comparable to how MON set us up? And do you think it is a system that could see him show the sort of form he shown at Brentford?

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Agreed. I could maybe understand it if he wasn't a Bruce signing, but having signed the bloke you would think there would be a plan in place to get the best out of him. 

Maybe it was part of the Grealish at 10 master plan? Even though there was little pre season evidence to suggest that such a plan existed. 

21 minutes ago, av1 said:

I can't say i watched enough (if any) of the Irish national team to comment on the style of play. Is it comparable to how MON set us up? And do you think it is a system that could see him show the sort of form he shown at Brentford?

At home we use more expansive players than away. Players like Arter & Hoolahan can knock it around well. Away from home, we're duller than anything he served up while here.

Did not watch the game. but looking at the highlights my favorite thing was probably seeing Hogan, who must be desperate for a goal, square the ball to Adomah for the last goal instead of shooting himself like many strikers would have.

Hogan was great for the 4th well done lad, I am glad he was more interested in helping the team that be selfish and waste a good opportunity. Scotty unfortunately is suffering because of the form of big kodj and davis. but he will get his chance and he knows he has to take it with the others in the squad. cant see any place for gabby now unless injuries come into play 

Edited by Demitri_C

Nothing but a good thing having Scott Hogan waiting on the bench to make an impact and force himself into the first team.

I can't even remember the last time that we had too many strikers in a squad trying to compete for first team places.

At some point this season Hogan will come into some form and score some vital goals, no doubt about it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Nothing but a good thing having Scott Hogan waiting on the bench to make an impact and force himself into the first team.

I can't even remember the last time that we had too many strikers in a squad trying to compete for first team places.

At some point this season Hogan will come into some form and score some vital goals, no doubt about it.

Exactly. It hasn't worked out for him for a number of reasons but we need to forget about what was paid for him and realise we have a good striker that will need to play his part over a long season. 

If anything if we stick with 2 up front we are actually quite light now with only 3 strikers in the squad (Assuming / hoping Gabby never plays again).

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Biggest waste of money since Ross McCormack. 

Stick him in that wolves side he'd thrive. Yet we think blasting long meaningless balls into the corner flag is classed as service.

I dont know what people expect. We create nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Â