Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Davis and Hogan means both short and long passing can and should equal goals.

Give it another couple games and we should see that as our forward line up.

Won't happen I don't think for a bit as can't see Bruce wanting McCormack on the subs bench 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

He managed to piss me off no end by slowly dribbling the ball to the edge of their area and then losing it tamely despite players breaking either side of him, but to be fair we absolutely did not change tactic when he went up front, everything was still launched seven feet in the air at a hundred miles an hour. 

He was shit, but so was nearly everyone else. 

Begs the question as to why he could score 21 in 33 for Brentford, yet looks like he'd struggle outscore Gabby for us?

His Brentford form was a fluke, injuries, or he doesn't suit our system (assuming we actually have one)?

Edited by andym

16 minutes ago, andym said:

Begs the question as to why he could score 21 in 33 for Brentford, yet looks like he'd struggle outscore Gabby for us?

His Brentford form was a fluke, injuries, or he doesn't suit our system (assuming we actually have one)?

Gestede says hi!

19 minutes ago, andym said:

Seems clear to me. Thats 3 games we've played Brentford and 3 games we've seen them pass and move until there is an opening to feed in the striker. Guess who that striker used to be.

We managed to do that once today and Hogan was through.

Now I'm not saying he is a top player. What I'm saying is I can understood how he scored so many goals for Brentford.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, andym said:

He had 38 goals in 60 games in the Football League before he joined us. I would certainly say its our management not knowing how to utilise him

• Like 2

I know Brentofrd are near the bottom of the table, but they actually know how to play football and create chances. Apparently they have been really unlucky in all their games, had more possession and more shots than their opposition in most games. They are just waiting to click. They have a much worse team than last year but still play in the same way. Imagine that style of football with a squad with better players like ours. You can then see why Hogan scored so many there.

Get Dean Smith here and Hogan will be the divisions top scorer, with Kodj, McCormack, Hourihane and Snodgrass all chipping in massively. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

He had 38 goals in 60 games in the Football League before he joined us. I would certainly say its our management not knowing how to utilise him

Could say the same about several of our players - poor management .

He was crap, but you can see why he succeeded at brentford.

The amount of incisive passes they played, both through the defence and over the top IN FRONT of their striker was amazing. Those are the kind of balls I think Hogan would lap up.

Meanwhile I can't remember the last time we sent a striker through on goal. We never do it on anything like a regular basis.

I think Hogan would thrive in a very specific system, which Brentford was. That's not a defence of him. A better player would make something from our system (Kodjia).  But you can see how he COULD be a good player for us. It would just mean playing better football, which Bruce is incapable of it would seem.

It's a bit like the Darren bent situation we had in the Prem.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

On 09/09/2017 at 22:44, andym said:

probably a combination of all 3.

Look at his history though and it is littered with these none scoring spells. His reputation seems to be based on a very good 30 games spell. 

I groan whenever he comes on - because I just know from that point we aren't going to score. 

This signing was always a strange one. I think we panicked with West Ham apparently wanting him and Kodjia getting hurt from AFCON. He doesn't suit our team at all, but honestly I think if we get a new manager, Hogan will be a great player. I think even in RDM's system Hogan would have scored quite a few. 

It just takes a new manager which might happen soon.

• Like 1

Â