Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Although it hasnt worked out for him there is something about him that makes me think he could be a top player. He reminds me of Shane Long. Very busy player, keeps moving and does have a lot ability. Quite athletic with good acceleration too. I honesly think in a better team he could really shine. Injuries aside I think he will have a decent career and eventually be playing Premier League football.

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Although it hasnt worked out for him there is something about him that makes me think he could be a top player. He reminds me of Shane Long. Very busy player, keeps moving and does have a lot ability. Quite athletic with good acceleration too. I honesly think in a better team he could really shine. Injuries aside I think he will have a decent career and eventually be playing Premier League football.

Is that from his Brentford days or since he has been here ? Since he has been here I have rarely seen a player show little. I would dispute the acceleration as well TBH

I really don't see anything in him to suggest in would be a 'top' player in the proper sense of the time. Clear to me that he is not top flight quality for starters. I do think that under the right manager, playing positive, high pressing, attacking football, that Hogan would be a very good player for us in this division. But regardless of that, I really do question why we spent so much on him. Even if we saw the best of Hogan I genuinely believe we could have had someone just as good/ effective for a fraction of the cost. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Is that from his Brentford days or since he has been here ? Since he has been here I have rarely seen a player show little. I would dispute the acceleration as well TBH

From his time with us. I admit he had been poo but there is definitely a player there. Trust me I was a top scout in my previous life. 

I have a lot of time and sympathy for Hogan. I always watch him closely when he comes on, as he plays in a similar vein to what I did when I played, off the shoulder striker and finisher. 

His movement and attacking instincts are top class. There was 2 notable occasions when he came on yesterday where he had lost his man and begging to be put through on goal, and our midfield opted against or didn't see the run and movement! 

You can see why he's got goals at this level. We need to utilise him as a Plan B or as Plan A if Davis form dips. 

14 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I have a lot of time and sympathy for Hogan. I always watch him closely when he comes on, as he plays in a similar vein to what I did when I played, off the shoulder striker and finisher. 

His movement and attacking instincts are top class. There was 2 notable occasions when he came on yesterday where he had lost his man and begging to be put through on goal, and our midfield opted against or didn't see the run and movement! 

You can see why he's got goals at this level. We need to utilise him as a Plan B or as Plan A if Davis form dips. 

Also the one where Onomah I think it was tried to put him through 1 on 1 and over-cooked the pass. He's pulled off the centre half and got acres and it was a poor ball to him. 

Someone on here questioned his acceleration and pace too (may have been @Michael118), but that one instance where he breezed past one and would've got round another had his shirt not been pulled back was explosive acceleration and pace.

Would've liked him to play alongside kodjia or Davis with the likes of adomah and snodgrass feeding. Hopefully that is something we see as the season progresses!

• Like 1

Just now, Mjvilla said:

Also the one where Onomah I think it was tried to put him through 1 on 1 and over-cooked the pass. He's pulled off the centre half and got acres and it was a poor ball to him. 

Someone on here questioned his acceleration and pace too (may have been @Michael118), but that one instance where he breezed past one and would've got round another had his shirt not been pulled back was explosive acceleration and pace.

Would've liked him to play alongside kodjia or Davis with the likes of adomah and snodgrass feeding. Hopefully that is something we see as the season progresses!

Sorry @Michael118, it wasn't you. I actually read about 4 posts in the thread and realised it was @hippo.

Need to sell, it's not going to work out for a number of reasons not all of which are his fault. A truly disgraceful overspend by Bruce, £12m absolutely pissed out the wall, could have signed two very good players for this level for that fee.

Despite Hogan's record he was never, ever, in a million **** years, worth £12m.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

So was it Bruce decision to sign this guy and if it was; why did he do it?

Before he signed for us he scored 14 in 25 appearances for Brentford. The season before that, 7 in 7.

The injury record is an issue, but keep him fit, and he's a goalscorer at this level. If you play to his strengths. Which Bruce doesn't. So yeah, you have a point, but I don't think it's Hogan's fault.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Before he signed for us he scored 14 in 25 appearances for Brentford. The season before that, 7 in 7.

The injury record is an issue, but keep him fit, and he's a goalscorer at this level. If you play to his strengths. Which Bruce doesn't. So yeah, you have a point, but I don't think it's Hogan's fault.

Gestede once hit like 25 at this level.

Hogan was a flash in the pan. Watch him slip down the leagues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I don't blame Hogan. I just wonder why we signed him because Bruce doesn't seem to rate him or know how to use him. whichever you think is the reason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Despite Hogan's record he was never, ever, in a million **** years, worth £12m.

Agreed 100%.

I saw him a few times for Brentford and think he's a solid player at this level, but £12m? Get to ****. Another £12m on the 30 year old podgy **** who won't climb a fence.

£24m pissed up the wall on 2 strikers who we can't get to score, in the space of 6 months, what a **** pisstake.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Agreed 100%.

I saw him a few times for Brentford and think he's a solid player at this level, but £12m? Get to ****. Another £12m on the 30 year old podgy **** who won't climb a fence.

£24m pissed up the wall on 2 strikers who we can't get to score, in the space of 6 months, what a **** pisstake.

It's shambolic spending that amount of money on two players who contribute nothing. 

Hogan was just a massive panic buy who isn't good enough. It's been clear for ages that he's not up to it. He just hasn't got the attributes. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

It's shambolic spending that amount of money on two players who contribute nothing. 

Hogan was just a massive panic buy who isn't good enough. It's been clear for ages that he's not up to it. He just hasn't got the attributes. 

When a kid from the academy who has no expectation of him can show Hogan up week in week out, then you know something isn't right.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

Â