Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, grobs said:

Hogan was more of a threat in the second half than Davis was the whole time he played. 

Hogan needs to be starting games. He's a confidence player and he will only feel confident if he's trusted. 

Cant blame him for the blocking of that shot. The flash couldn't have got out the way of that shot 

This is the most pathetic comment I've seen on this forum. You CLEARLY don't go to watch the games. Hogan wasn't a threat in any way, shape or form. Davis was constantly setting up team mates and creating chances, Hogan NEVER does anything to help the team. He never drops deep to collect and pass off. All Hogan does is try to run in behind when any of our players is about to pass, even when theres 5-10 yards of space betweeen the back line and keeper. He also swung and missed an absolute sitter from a great cross, he is awful and doesn't benefit the team in any single way. Having Hogan on the pitch is basically like playing a man down.

He only scored goals against Wigans reserve team NOT main team, which is probably league 2 standard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adzy_Avfc said:

This is the most pathetic comment I've seen on this forum. You CLEARLY don't go to watch the games. Hogan wasn't a threat in any way, shape or form. Davis was constantly setting up team mates and creating chances, Hogan NEVER does anything to help the team. He never drops deep to collect and pass off. All Hogan does is try to run in behind when any of our players is about to pass, even when theres 5-10 yards of space betweeen the back line and keeper. He also swung and missed an absolute sitter from a great cross, he is awful and doesn't benefit the team in any single way. Having Hogan on the pitch is basically like playing a man down.

He only scored goals against Wigans reserve team NOT main team, which is probably league 2 standard.

so what about the 14 goals he scored in the CHAMPIONSHIP last season? come on.. we may not suit his strengths or play to it.. but hes not a bad player. 

4 hours ago, Adzy_Avfc said:

Davis has done nothing in the last 3 games. He was good vs Norwich. I go to every home game. Hogan got in the box and was somebody to cross to. Davis got in the box once all game for a snodgrass cross. Davis won't ever score. Hogan will. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grobs said:

Hogan was more of a threat in the second half than Davis was the whole time he played. 

Hogan needs to be starting games. He's a confidence player and he will only feel confident if he's trusted. 

Cant blame him for the blocking of that shot. The flash couldn't have got out the way of that shot 

If youre defending Hogan last night then basically you would defend any tom, dick, or harry that put on a villa shirt. He completely mis kicked a shot - then got in the way of a goal bound villa effort.

I know he had a good run at Brentford - but since he has been here he has been woeful and last night he reached a new low, I don't see ever being any good for us - no matter who the manager. 

2 hours ago, KSV said:

so what about the 14 goals he scored in the CHAMPIONSHIP last season? come on.. we may not suit his strengths or play to it.. but hes not a bad player. 

It's not about him being a 'bad player', at least for me. Sometimes strikers move for big money to clubs, and it just doesn't work out - Carroll and Benteke for Liverpool, Torres for Chelsea etc - and it's not that they're bad players, but that a combination of not really fitting the playing style, losing automatic selection and therefore minutes because of poor form, and plain old bad luck mean it just never works for them. 

That is Hogan's destiny.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's not about him being a 'bad player', at least for me. Sometimes strikers move for big money to clubs, and it just doesn't work out - Carroll and Benteke for Liverpool, Torres for Chelsea etc - and it's not that they're bad players, but that a combination of not really fitting the playing style, losing automatic selection and therefore minutes because of poor form, and plain old bad luck mean it just never works for them. 

That is Hogan's destiny.

I think it's a combination of having to play in a system that does nothing in terms of getting the best out of him, a lack of confidence and perhaps a lack of capacity to raise his game at a big club like this. If I had to weight those things I'd say the first issue is biggest, but I would say that there's something in the 'not performing at a big club' theory since this is light years away from the expectations at Brentford. 

Given the fee I have to say he has been a really poor signing, why pay so much for a forward and not change your system to get the best out of him? It just makes no sense. I don't know how Bruce can complain about resources when has has a forward who could cost up to £15m predominantly sitting on the bench right now.

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

Looks well short of confidence , he has the ability but it's not happening for him here under this manager.

Weren't we saying the same thing about McCormack?

We really are **** up players careers here, if they had any sense they wouldn't sign for us.

I wish we'd more often than not just set up with Hogan and Kodjia up top and no holding midfielder at home - don't mind Jedi starting away games. With Elmo, Adomah (surely now starting instead of Green) Snodgrass, and even Taylor we have the ability to get balls into the box most of the time.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think it's a combination of having to play in a system that does nothing in terms of getting the best out of him, a lack of confidence and perhaps a lack of capacity to raise his game at a big club like this. If I had to weight those things I'd say the first issue is biggest, but I would say that there's something in the 'not performing at a big club' theory since this is light years away from the expectations at Brentford. 

Given the fee I have to say he has been a really poor signing, why pay so much for a forward and not change your system to get the best out of him? It just makes no sense. I don't know how Bruce can complain about resources when has has a forward who could cost up to £15m predominantly sitting on the bench right now.

Agreed. 

I think the 'lack of confidence' thing and the 'style of play' thing are pretty closely tied together. I don't think I've ever seen him win a header, and it's got to be pretty demoralising failing so consistently. After he blocked the shot on the goal-line, I saw their keeper say something to him and Hogan shook his head, and he just looked like a broken football player at that moment. 

Because nothing is going his way, he isn't getting much pitch time, and because he isn't getting the minutes, he isn't getting many opportunities to put things right, so he's snatching at chances when they come (which is presumably how he managed to take an air shot in the 6-yard box) and so the cycle continues. 

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Finally saw the blocked shot. Typical overreaction again. Little chance he could move out of way of that shot

But we've been assured he takes up great positions and makes intelligent runs . Yet there he is on the goal line with his back to goal.

In defence it proves the point that our midfielders don't see him.

Very poor since he has been here - I can't think of a worse forward - Im sure there is one but of the top of my head .....Heskey, Weimann, 

20 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Let's be quite honest here, it is not Scott Hogan's fault we are not playing well.

We have won 1-0 without him on tuesday though.

He was brought to score goals and he hasn't done it. 

Edited by hippo

9 hours ago, hippo said:

But we've been assured he takes up great positions and makes intelligent runs . Yet there he is on the goal line with his back to goal.

Oh come off it. He's made a run to the front post, the ball went over him to the back post, where a header was saved and fell to Hourihane who it back towards the back post. There is a lot to be critical of, this isn't one of them.

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Oh come off it. He's made a run to the front post, the ball went over him to the back post, where a header was saved and fell to Hourihane who it back towards the back post. There is a lot to be critical of, this isn't one of them.

Also looked like a defender in his way when shot was initially taken

Â