Neil Taylor

One For The Road

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Actually content with him. He is solid, not great going forward, but. We could have worse, much much worse.

It's credit to him that he's kept his place.Ā  Why certain individuals would begrudge him that is perplexing. Sadly, no matter how well he plays, he will never endear himself to the masses.Ā 

There is always that one player. Never quite understood it myself.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's credit to him that he's kept his place.Ā  Why certain individuals would begrudge him that is perplexing. Sadly, no matter how well he plays, he will never endear himself to the masses.Ā 

There is always that one player. Never quite understood it myself.

I don't really understand this. Nobody personally begrudges him, as a result of not liking him. People simply feel we need a better left back, which is hardly an outrageous opinion.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Actually content with him. He is solid, not great going forward, but. We could have worse, much much worse.

I think he's woeful and it's a bit of a myth that he's good defensively in my opinion.Ā Targett will replace him soonĀ  though so hopefully we wont see much more of him.Ā 

Compared to what Taylor was like 12 months ago when he seemed to have given up any pretense of being a capable player, he has been like a new signing. Of course I would want better, but my concern now isn't so much that Taylor is poor but that Targett might not be much better.

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't really understand this. Nobody personally begrudges him, as a result of not liking him. People simply feel we need a better left back, which is hardly an outrageous opinion.

he is absolutely slated on here and social media. i agree with the post that there is literally nothing he could do now to endear himself to some fans...some players just put in too many poor performances that there's no going back.

there is no question that we need a left sided Guilbert. someone who can attack with pace, but decent defensively too. we unfortunately do not have that though. if taylor had put in a 45 minutes that targett did vs crewe VT would have had a meltdown. we are going to be under the cosh this season. el ghazi proved his defensive weaknesses vs west ham, and i dont see trez much better. playing either of those with targett would be Christmas coming early to opposition right wingers. keep taylor till jan, and somehow convince the board to sanction another LB signing

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Anyone content with what he brings to the team overall is failing to see the bigger picture. SomeĀ are just purposefully trying to be argumentative.Ā 

Yeah agree, it's the bigger picture with Taylor for me, he's an ok/averageĀ  defender - for a championship club,Ā but he hinders the team overall really badly imo.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Anyone content with what he brings to the team overall is failing to see the bigger picture. SomeĀ are just purposefully trying to be argumentative.Ā 

i dont think that many are content with what he brings attacking wise. because how could you be? the defenses of him are around him being part of a solid back 4, where he's held his own and hasn't really put a foot wrong. coupled with all we have to judge targett on is an abysmal 45 mins vs a league 2 side before he got injured. well, he's fit now, so i imagine the argument will be put to bed over the coming weeks one way or another

38 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i dont think that many are content with what he brings attacking wise. because how could you be? the defenses of him are around him being part of a solid back 4, where he's held his own and hasn't really put a foot wrong. coupled with all we have to judge targett on is an abysmal 45 mins vs a league 2 side before he got injured. well, he's fit now, so i imagine the argument will be put to bed over the coming weeks one way or another

Targett didn't have an abysmal 45 minutes versus Crewe at all, can't understand that....did you watch the game??

Granted he didn't blow Crewe away,Ā  butĀ he played perfectly fine and passed the ball in 45 minutes better than Taylor has done in his entire life.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Targett didn't have an abysmal 45 minutes versus Crewe at all, can't understand that....did you watch the game??

Granted he didn't blow Crewe away,Ā  butĀ he played perfectly fine and passed the ball in 45 minutes better than Taylor has done in his entire life.

yes i did...saw him taken to the cleaners by their winger on more than one occasion and did nothing going forward

as i said...the argument will be put to bed one way or another soon. i really cannot be bothered to keep having it. for our sake i desperately hope i'm wrong about targett because we need another option on the left

Edited by tomav84

7 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

The manager seems content with him, singing the defenses praises in his press conference. Would be very surprised if Taylor loses his place anytime soon, he's done nothing to deserveĀ being dropped.Ā Ā 

Except consistently ruining everything going forward down the left hand side.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Except consistently ruining everything going forward down the left hand side.

So the answer is to replace him with someone who struggles to defend but is better going forward?

I haven't seem Taylor make a mistake that has led to a goal scored against us yet, I've seen mistakes by Mings, Jack and Luiz that have led to goals being conceded but Taylor is the bad guy in all this........unbelievableĀ šŸ˜‚

6 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

So the answer is to replace him with someone who struggles to defend but is better going forward?

I haven't seem Taylor make a mistake that has led to a goal scored against us yet, I've seen mistakes by Mings, Jack and Luiz that have led to goals being conceded but Taylor is the bad guy in all this........unbelievableĀ šŸ˜‚

Targett can defend though.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just not as well as Taylor though apparently. It may turn out we had oursĀ pants pulled down when buying Targett.Ā I hope not I hope he's a left sided Guilbert we'll seeĀ ,what was it on twitter the Southampton fan wrote attacks like a man defends like an 8yr old boy. I have faith in our manager though if he feels Targett can do a better job than Taylor he will play him he's match fit and available for selection.

13 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

My Southampton supporting mates disagree. This is from discussions before the summer as well so I can't even accuse them of sour grapes.

They do believe that he has the potential to hugely improve though.

Ɨ
Ɨ
Ƃ