Neil Taylor

One For The Road

30 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

FWIW I like the bloke, and he ain't as bad as people make out, but he's nowhere near as good as Targett.

No, he's worse. Just got the ball out wide in acres of space, everyone's waiting in the box. He's afraid to cross so he hesitates until it's too late, gets closed down, and then he's got no option left apart from to try and take the defender on. At this point, three problems present themselves:

1. He can't take anyone on.

2. Even if he could, he'd still have to cross it.

3. He can't cross.

The ball eventually ends back up with Hause and the play is over.

20 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

No, he's worse. Just got the ball out wide in acres of space, everyone's waiting in the box. He's afraid to cross so he hesitates until it's too late, gets closed down, and then he's got no option left apart from to try and take the defender on. At this point, three problems present themselves:

1. He can't take anyone on.

2. Even if he could, he'd still have to cross it.

3. He can't cross.

The ball eventually ends back up with Hause and the play is over.

Edit: never mind misread

Edited by Tom13

I don't dislike Neil and, FWIW, he's relatively solid as a defensive left back... but what the hell happens with coaching and him in an attacking sense?  Literally all of our other wide defenders (Targett, Elmo, Guilbert, and certainly Cash from what I've seen) at least try to be attacking.

Whenever Taylor gets the ball, he takes his time, turns back, passes inside.  There is absolutely never a thought to run with the ball, or overlap the wide attacker, or cross the ball... just get the ball, stop, look up and pass inside.  We can't do anything down the left when he plays - it all just stops.  There was a classic example tonight where Taylor passed the ball into El Ghazi, and El Ghazi instinctively played the ball back down the line for the overlap - Taylor was already heading back down the pitch into defence, so it looked completely comical (ball looked well overhit anyway FWIW).

Just... URGH.  Why. WHY.  Just cross or run or something other than relatively solid, boring defensive stuff.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't dislike Neil and, FWIW, he's relatively solid as a defensive left back... but what the hell happens with coaching and him in an attacking sense?  Literally all of our other wide defenders (Targett, Elmo, Guilbert, and certainly Cash from what I've seen) at least try to be attacking.

Whenever Taylor gets the ball, he takes his time, turns back, passes inside.  There is absolutely never a thought to run with the ball, or overlap the wide attacker, or cross the ball... just get the ball, stop, look up and pass inside.  We can't do anything down the left when he plays - it all just stops.  There was a classic example tonight where Taylor passed the ball into El Ghazi, and El Ghazi instinctively played the ball back down the line for the overlap - Taylor was already heading back down the pitch into defence, so it looked completely comical (ball looked well overhit anyway FWIW).

Just... URGH.  Why. WHY.  Just cross or run or something other than relatively solid, boring defensive stuff.

I used to think it was because he was terrible at it and knew the crowd would get on his back and groan with every misplaced forward pass and cross.

Nope.

He is just that boring and unadventorous.

On 17/06/2020 at 09:35, Tomaszk said:

He was never a scapegoat. He's been absolutely terrible, very often to blame for moves breaking down and not letting us get a foothold in games.

I hope he doesn't have the chance to express himself, I don't want him making another appearance for us. A lucky lucky man he was handed a ridiculous contract.

No chance we'll get rid of him. No one will take him for free. 

People saying they don't hate him.

I do. I really do. He's embarrassing.

I remember him at Swansea he was vital in their ability to play possession based attacking football. He used to whip in some beauties. I know age catches up with you but he seems to have lost all his attacking instincts. Others have said he always looks to go back and even if some is free in front he doesn't seem to pass. A shame.

On 01/10/2020 at 22:56, myko said:

Anyone else hear the commentator describe him as an “attacking fullback” 

Yes I’d forgotten about that! 

He went on to explain that Guilbert is the more defensive fullback who rarely gets forward unlike Taylor. Terrible football knowledge from whoever that was. 

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
Â