Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There was one incident where we gave the ball away then fouled the player in the box when trying to win it back. 

Luckily ref gave a yellow for diving instead. 

Apart from that incident he was superb. 

Burton match?  not trying to disagree, I just don't remember the incident....

Edited by srsmithusa

2 hours ago, Carlos_the_third said:

Agree it’s a tough one to work out who will play CDM next week - we should really be looking to give them an absolute battering, but Bruce has in the past tended to come out before derbies with ‘form out the window’ comments (which are fair to an extent), and erred towards accepting that it will be a scrappy game before we’ve even kicked off, rather than adapting to this eventuality if and when it happens. In the last game against Blues also, we were really struggling to deal with the massive guy they had playing CAM (who I’m almost certain was not actually a CAM but just stuck there for that one game to put himself about in a derby and get the fans up) until Jedi came on, at which point we took control of the game - this would also point to maybe Jedi being included.

However, this is by far the most secure Bruce has been in his job when entering a derby, and I’m sure the fans would forgive him far more easily if we tried to play football and got beaten off a set piece than if we revert to a more defensive setup and lose/draw - it will be really interesting to see which way he goes, and could potentially show whether recent good football/results have given him more confidence in going for it.

Don't kid yourself......Villa fans want a win.

more now than ever, with how tight it is at the top.

We have players who can win a game with a flash of brilliance.....I think he will rely on that and play a containing game.

• Like 1

Nice to see that he makes us more dynamic, in the last game he got himself into shooting positions at a couple of times, and drived forward with the ball on some occations. Gives us better movement than having a more static defensive midfielder. Though I'm not sure who to play against Blues, propbably we will need Jedi's strength in that game... 

59 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Nice to see that he makes us more dynamic, in the last game he got himself into shooting positions at a couple of times, and drived forward with the ball on some occations. Gives us better movement than having a more static defensive midfielder. Though I'm not sure who to play against Blues, propbably we will need Jedi's strength in that game... 

Na, I would keep Bjarnason with Jedi/Tuanzebe replacing him after 70 odds minutes or so?

• Like 2

Yep - I'd keep him.  We should take the game to them and try not to even consider that it's a derby.  If we sit back and worry about what they do it'll get scrappy, the crowd will get nervous and the players tense up.  Play our game and let them worry about how to stop us.

There are so many different types of teams in the Champ that you do need to mix it up on occasion. Harsh on him but the right decision. I would still bring him back for the Fulham game as they play a different style that would suit Birkir. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pooligan said:

I like Birkir and thought it was harsh on him being left out ,but Bruce ,as was proved  right,made the right call 

This must be the first time I've seen you post outside the film thread. It has blown my mind. 

I agree and am also delighted to see your style hasn't changed. 

He's done well at DM so I thought he deserved his shot in a more advanced role which should be his preferred position. I thought other than the nice bit of play for his shot in the first half he was really poor but in his defence he wasn't the only one.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

It’s fair to say as an attacking player he is crap. Stick him at dm. Ci. I might be mistaken but I swear I read Lansbury can play on the left?

That would be useful. However it's not good fitting square pegs in. 

Â