Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

18 minutes ago, Gillz said:

If the opposition are going to play the ball on the ground, with pace and passing, then we play BB.

Personally I think Jedinak breaks up play better than BB so I'm not sure I agree with the above.

But I agree with the general sentiment of your post. It's good to have options.

Jedi is a must for me, regardless of comparing the two players over 90, Jedinak wins headers. Basic as that. We are so vulnerable from set pieces and we really have been living dangerously the past few weeks. Jedinak for all his faults, he wins headers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Jedi is a must for me, regardless of comparing the two players over 90, Jedinak wins headers. Basic as that. We are so vulnerable from set pieces and we really have been living dangerously the past few weeks. Jedinak for all his faults, he wins headers.

They are different players though, Jedinak will win the ball in the air more than Bjarnason but he no longer has the legs to cover the area in front of the defence by himself when the ball is on the floor. His passing is also pretty suspect at times.

Bjarnason will run all game and needs little help from the centre midfielders, which is why we are seeing Grealish and Hourihane in the attacking 3rd more recently. However as you quite rightly point out he won't win every header in this position.

Realistically it's now about game management by Bruce. If we are playing a big side who like to pump balls up then we need to be playing Jedinak, if we are playing teams that we need to break down like last night then Bjarnason is the man.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

They are different players though, Jedinak will win the ball in the air more than Bjarnason but he no longer has the legs to cover the area in front of the defence by himself when the ball is on the floor. His passing is also pretty suspect at times.

Bjarnason will run all game and needs little help from the centre midfielders, which is why we are seeing Grealish and Hourihane in the attacking 3rd more recently. However as you quite rightly point out he won't win every header in this position.

Realistically it's now about game management by Bruce. If we are playing a big side who like to pump balls up then we need to be playing Jedinak, if we are playing teams that we need to break down like last night then Bjarnason is the man.

Exactly - it depends on the opposition and barney is a better option if we need to break teams down while Jedi is better defensively .

could well be axel in there for the majority of games - either way we have good competition for places all over the team which keeps players on their game 

Edited by Eastie

11 hours ago, Gillz said:

The whole BB vs Jedinak debate comes down to a simple Horses for Courses for me.

If the opposition are going to be more physical, long ball and direct, then we should play Jedi

If the opposition are going to play the ball on the ground, with pace and passing, then we play BB.

Its just great to have options.

yep same for me, if playing a Cardiff, Derby, blues or some other long ball team then Jedi all day long. Sheffield United are a tidy passing team and few others in division like Brentford, Wolves that BB would do a job as Jedi  doesnt have energy and be passed around

Doing well. My only criticism is that he seems to want to pass backwards, unnecessary far to often. I remember one today from about the half way line. 

12 minutes ago, av1 said:

Doing well. My only criticism is that he seems to want to pass backwards, unnecessary far to often. I remember one today from about the half way line. 

Funny how people see different things. 

I thought he was very positive today and was thinking how often he was moving things forward with accuracy and how much better he made us compared to Whelan or Jedinak. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

His best game for us today. Very good. 

Quality aside (from your posts i think we share a similar opinion on that), i think he inclusion has a more positive effect on the team than Whelan or Jedinak. 

Those two are out and out DM's. They sit and do a certain job, BB puts a totally different slant on the position. 

I don't think he's a great player, but i think for the moment the position is his to lose. 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think people need to get used to a DM doing that. It’s part of the position. They’re not there to set up goals, they’re there to win back possession and keep it. 

All our DMs have been criticised for passing backwards or sideways since, and including, Westwood. 

It’s part of the position. 

Some of Our fans seem to have a problem with this yet at the same time complain when we hoof it. I noticed today there was a pass back to centre halves and you could hear some groans from the crowd.  

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Some of Our fans seem to have a problem with this yet at the same time complain when we hoof it. I noticed today there was a pass back to centre halves and you could hear some groans from the crowd.  

Yep. It absolutely infuriated me at games. Constant moaning if every pass isn’t forwards. 

• Like 1

I thought he had a shaky first 10 which included a real rollicking from Johnstone which was nice to see. After that he did well, as you say @Stevo985 I'd be worried if my DM wasn't playing plenty of passes backwards/side wards. If anything BB seems more forward thinking than most we've had in that position. While I know Bruce hates to change a winning team I'd personally be giving some thought to moving BB forward into Hourihanes role for the Blues game and bringing Jedinak in. Partly because it'll inevitably be a war and Jedi will thrive on that and partly because Conor is looking pretty jaded to me and I think a rest in this game might do him and us some good. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

On the live match commentary there was someone sat near to the microphones shouting 'FORWARD" at regular intervals throughout the match. A football visionary.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. It absolutely infuriated me at games. Constant moaning if every pass isn’t forwards. 

Yes, we keep the ball ticking over trying to draw them out and everyone moans. Chester tries to force the play by passing into midfield and it is immediately cut out...and everyone goes ape shit. 

Â