Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Cool. 

Opinions and all that.

What kind of response is this?

Where's the aggression lad?....at least a bit of 'you don't know what you'e on about!'

Forums are for shouting not learning! 

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm with Stevo. I thought he was ok tonight but mentally he isn't in the same league as Jedinak and he lacks the physicality too, obviously. I think we miss Jedi from set pieces as much as anything and he's just better at breaking up play. 

Jedi would come back in for me. 

My thoughts too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My thoughts too.

Depends on the opposition for me - if we playing a team parking the bus we need more urgency and barney more effective than Jedi - if we are away and under the cosh then Jedi , although I still feel axel will play a big part in the role .

fair play to barney for now - he’s doing enough to keep his place 

He might not have the physicality, but that isn’t always important. He has good energy and uses the ball well when he does win it. I think sometimes that is better than somebody who is big and strong, but lacks finesse.

2 hours ago, striker said:

Yeah mate no worries.

I just feel that if the manager wanted Jedinak back due to Jedinak being a better player and improving the team he would have dropped Bjarnson as he did with Elphick.

Why put Jedinak in and ruin Bjarnason's confidence when he is playing very well.  The problem with Jedinak is he plays 2 or 3 games, gets injured and is out again.  Jedinak is probably the better player slightly at DM but he will have to wait his turn.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We changed a winning team two (and a half) games in to that run. 

By your logic we’d still be playing Whelan at DM and Elphick at CB (instead of Terry)

Erm Jedinak was playing against Bristol City and Boro and only played a half against Forest. He was injured and kept on the subs bench because of how good Thor was. Elphick fair enough but thats John Terry coming back in, our club captain. I think and exception can be made for him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, striker said:

Yeah mate no worries.

I just feel that if the manager wanted Jedinak back due to Jedinak being a better player and improving the team he would have dropped Bjarnson as he did with Elphick.

I don't think the two scenarios are the same to be honest.

John Terry is arguably our best player, and the captain. He doesn't have a history of fitness issues. Elphick was also apparently on the radar for being moved on given he's gone to Reading. 

I like Jedinak but he's not as important as John Terry is to us, plus he's had a season full of injuries, so the point made above is a good one about bringing him in and dropping Bjarnasson only for Jedinak to get injured again.

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Erm Jedinak was playing against Bristol City and Boro and only played a half against Forest. He was injured and kept on the subs bench because of how good Thor was. Elphick fair enough but thats John Terry coming back in, our club captain. I think and exception can be made for him. 

Yeah ok, but the point being made is still the same. 

6 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Why put Jedinak in and ruin Bjarnason's confidence when he is playing very well.  The problem with Jedinak is he plays 2 or 3 games, gets injured and is out again.  

As I've said above, this is a very good point.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah ok, but the point being made is still the same. 

I get your point and normally I would agree with it because Jedinak is/was one of our most important players last year and has done well this year when he has played. The issue is that he keeps getting knocks. If we put him back in, it sends the wrong message to Thor and also disrupts the team when he eventually has to sit out a game and someone else have to come back in. I prefer Jedi coming off the bench to see off a game like he has done a few times for us this season. I see Tuanzebe playing there for the rest of the season eventually as he has the physicality of Jedinak but the energy of Thor.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I get your point and normally I would agree with it because Jedinak is/was one of our most important players last year and has done well this year when he has played. The issue is that he keeps getting knocks. If we put him back in, it sends the wrong message to Thor and also disrupts the team when he eventually has to sit out a game and someone else have to come back in. I prefer Jedi coming off the bench to see off a game like he has done a few times for us this season. I see Tuanzebe playing there for the rest of the season eventually as he has the physicality of Jedinak but the energy of Thor.

Yep, as above the fitness thing is an issue, I acknowledge that.

Hopefully as you say, Axel is the answer.

Just now, omariqy said:

Birkir Bjarnason for #AVFC vs Sheffield United:

100% tackle success rate

80% pass success rate

1 assist

3 key passes

1 interception

3 clearances

4 aerial battles won

Good stats (although calling that an assist is a bit of a stretch :) )

• Like 2

Just now, omariqy said:

Birkir Bjarnason for #AVFC vs Sheffield United:

100% tackle success rate

80% pass success rate

1 assist

3 key passes

1 interception

3 clearances

4 aerial battles won

Jedi would have won 5 aerial battles. Thor out!

:)

• Haha 1

Just now, Rob182 said:

Jedi would have won 5 aerial battles. Thor out!

:)

For comparison, Jedinak's last 90 mins:

tackle success rate (Don't know this but 3 tackles made, BB made 2 last night)

86.2% pass success rate

0 assist

0 key passes

2 interceptions

7 clearances

5 aerial battles won

He has done really well since coming in. His mobility is the clincher for me . He can afford to play the DMC role 5-10 yards further forward than the other options in his position which inturn let's us get forward faster and doesn't invite the opposition on to our defence as much as Jedinak and Whelan. Also with his back to goal with two men around him he is far better than Jedinak at getting the ball out from under his feet and getting the pass away. Jedinak and Whelan have both been caught in possession far too much. 

Edit: thinking about it . It seems to basically be age that is catching out both Whelan and Jedinak. Just both seems a fraction slow to move the ball. Signals not getting from brain to feet as fast anymore. All in my opinion of course.

Edited by limvillian

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

His pass accuracy is very impressive. What's whelans I wonder?

Whelan's is very inconsistent. But as an average it's better, although has visibly dropped off in recent games.

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Whelan's is very inconsistent. But as an average it's better.

Is that an average over the season? If so it's very skewed. As Bikir has played on the wing and full back where pass completion is usually much lower than DCM. 

Â