Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Better than last week but still not reaching the heights of his 45 mins vs Forest.

Jedinak back in asap would improve us.

Why change a winning team ? Five on Trot. Think first time since we won five on Trot since 17 yr old Barry, mellberg and alpay in three man defence in 1998 under Gregory 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

Just now, Villan4Life said:

Why change a winning team ? Five on Trot. Think first time since we won five on Trot since 17 yr old Barry, mellberg and alpay in 1998 under Gregory 

We changed a winning team two (and a half) games in to that run. 

By your logic we’d still be playing Whelan at DM and Elphick at CB (instead of Terry)

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We changed a winning team two (and a half) games in to that run. 

By your logic we’d still be playing Whelan at DM and Elphick at CB (instead of Terry)

Come on we have looked good with Thor as defensive mid even you can see that surely?

he has a lot more energy than likes of Jedi and whelan and in this system where likes of jack, Adomah and snodgrass bomb forward and so does Conor it’s looking promising

bit  of credit to him credit when due rather than moaning you would prefer jedinak or whelan huh? We won :) looks more solid with him in even Stevie wonder could see that

Edited by Villan4Life

Just now, Villan4Life said:

Come on we have looked good with Thor as defensive mid even you can see that surely?

he has a lot more energy than likes of Jedi and whelan and in this system where likes of jack, Adomah and snodgrass bomb forward and so does Conor it’s looking promising

bit  if credit to him rather than moaning you would prefer jedinak or whelan huh? We won :) looks more solid with him in even Stevie wonder could see that

We’ve looked very good. I’ve never said otherwise. 

He does have a lot of energy. 

I have given him credit. I don’t quite agree that we look more solid with him in the team, but I think we’re more or less in agreement here. 

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I disagree completely. 

Youre talking like we couldn’t win a game before BB started playing. 

We’ve won 13 games this season without BB playing that role. How on earth did we manage it?

Bjarnason doesn’t = an entire team. Of course we’ve won games without him ffs :D

However, we’re currently looking a much better side that at any other point of the season. It’s massively down to having mobility in the middle of the park. 

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

Bjarnason doesn’t = an entire team. Of course we’ve won games without him ffs :D

However, we’re currently looking a much better side that at any other point of the season. It’s massively down to having mobility in the middle of the park. 

Comment so good you said it twice fella :)

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Exactly my point.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This is the bit I don’t agree with. We had ONE of our best performances of the season with him playing. Ironically the game where I don’t think he was actually that good. 

Tonight certainly wasn’t us playing better than at any other point this season.

We've played well a fair few times this season without him in the team. 

I don’t buy this narrative that we’re suddenly playing brilliantly because of BB. 

He was very good against Forest, he was average vs Barnsley and he was good tonight. 

I think people are exaggerating his performances. That’s all. 

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly my point.

This is the bit I don’t agree with. We had ONE of our best performances of the season with him playing. Ironically the game where I don’t think he was actually that good. 

Tonight certainly wasn’t us playing better than at any other point this season.

We've played well a fair few times this season without him in the team. 

I don’t buy this narrative that we’re suddenly playing brilliantly because of BB. 

He was very good against Forest, he was average vs Barnsley and he was good tonight. 

I think people are exaggerating his performances. That’s all. 

They really aren’t - but it’s quite hard to shift from calling a player utter shit in very recent times, so I understand that. 

And I didn’t mean performances in terms of one-off games - this as a run. We look far better than at any other point. I’m not going into games thinking “we might nick a draw here” - everything looks winnable. 

Jedinak back in asap would improve us.

Because he's a far better player.

Sorry but those two comments are just nonsense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

They really aren’t - but it’s quite hard to shift from calling a player utter shit in very recent times, so I understand that. 

And I didn’t mean performances in terms of one-off games - this as a run. We look far better than at any other point. I’m not going into games thinking “we might nick a draw here” - everything looks winnable. 

I disagree with a lot of this but we’re going round in circles so we’ll agree to disagree. 

I'm with Stevo. I thought he was ok tonight but mentally he isn't in the same league as Jedinak and he lacks the physicality too, obviously. I think we miss Jedi from set pieces as much as anything and he's just better at breaking up play. 

Jedi would come back in for me. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm with Stevo. I thought he was ok tonight but mentally he isn't in the same league as Jedinak and he lacks the physicality too, obviously. I think we miss Jedi from set pieces as much as anything and he's just better at breaking up play. 

Jedi would come back in for me. 

Yeah I’d go with something like this. He did a decent job today - nothing special but showed plenty of energy which he’ll always give you. 

I still feel that Jedinak will come back into the team in time. Wouldn’t be making the change just yet though and I actually think games like Burton and Blues at home may suit Bjarnasson more than Jedinak as we’ll be on the front foot. 

Out of interest, does anybody know if he’s played a defensive midfield role before these last few games? 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Cool. 

Opinions and all that.

Yeah mate no worries.

I just feel that if the manager wanted Jedinak back due to Jedinak being a better player and improving the team he would have dropped Bjarnson as he did with Elphick.

Thought he was decent in the second half. He doesn't really have any similar qualities to Jedinak or Whelan which in a way is good because it means we have options.

I think if you ranked all of our 'DM' type players you'd find that Jedinak is the best defensively, Birkir the best with the ball (albeit still not great) and getting forward and Whelan is just a mash of both.

I don't think he deserves to be dropped but I am all for rotating players depending on the opposition. 

• Like 3

Â