Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Spot on. 

I want to see that lovely double triangle on Sat, with Jedi in front of Baker and Chester, and Jedi behind Houri and Henri.

Width supplied by 1 of the wing backs (not Hutton LOL) and the 2 wingers, with one cutting inside when the ball is on the opposite flank.

Balls in the box should be attacked by 1 striker, 1 midfielder (Houri or Henri) and 1 of the two wingers.

It's just balance. So important.

We've gone from having 3 central midfielders who can't attack, to last night which was 3 central midfielders who can't defend.

In fact last night they just seemed to play a flat 3. A simple one-two and they were through our midfield easily.

We need shape and balance.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Dat aerial presence of Adomah, Hourihane and Kodjia.

We should sack off width.

Width doesn't mean hugging the touch line. 

You should take each game as it comes, each moment as it comes and out think your opponent.  If they are tucking in, then width is very important as you can bring others into the game.  If they are wide and you go narrow, bingo, you're on the inside of their full back attacking their CB's and GK.

Football's **** easy man, let me have a go.

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Width doesn't mean hugging the touch line. 

You should take each game as it comes, each moment as it comes and out think your opponent.  If they are tucking in, then width is very important as you can bring others into the game.  If they are wide and you go narrow, bingo, you're on the inside of their full back attacking their CB's and GK.

Football's **** easy man, let me have a go.

You still have to pick a starting eleven - in this instance, either going with, say, Green and Adomah (wide players) or replacing them with, say, Grealish and McCormack (not wide players... although we seem to want to put Grealish there!).

With the pace and (assumed) good technical players we have, I'd like to see us set up to make the middle of the park compact as you like, play through balls for our (assumed) pacey forwards and force the opposition down the wings when attacking us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You still have to pick a starting eleven - in this instance, either going with, say, Green and Adomah (wide players) or replacing them with, say, Grealish and McCormack (not wide players... although we seem to want to put Grealish there!).

With the pace and (assumed) good technical players we have, I'd like to see us set up to make the middle of the park compact as you like, play through balls for our (assumed) pacey forwards and force the opposition down the wings when attacking us.

I think the great thing about the squad we have (on paper at least) is that we have the options to do both!

As you say Grealish/Kodj on the wings will always cut in on their stronger foot.

We also have Adomah who will naturally play wider than the 18 yard box and either cross early or attack their full back (with mixed results).

We need to consider how the opponents play because I don't think we necessarily have an obvious weakness now.  I'd fancy Adomah/Grealish/Kodj against most of the full backs in this league.

Exploit their weaknesses with our strengths.

Ppl are gonna laugh but tishbola would have been ideal yesterday in a midfield of him Lansbury and Hourihane . I think thor was poor. If he was more of a threat and won the ball then they would have struggled to contain him and lansbury

problem was Lansbury was double teamed sucking out the feeding if the ball. You have to give brentford manager credit he got tactics spot on, so,etching Bruce needs to start doing, as he has had a stinker in the last four weeks

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Jedinak sitting deep with Lansbury and hourihane ahead of him .

Narrow midfield diamond with Jedinak at the base, Lansbury and Hourihane ahead of him and then Grealish/Thor/whoever behind Kodjia and Hogan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't think we'll be seing diamonds, these players have been signed with 442 in mind I believe.

Worries me having just CH and HL in the middle of the park. Look at what Brentford did to us. We badly missed Jedinak.

I don't doubt that Hourihane and Lansbury are both good players, but they seem very similar. Can they both fit in the same XI is my worry. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2017 at 13:58, Stevo985 said:

It's just balance. So important.

We've gone from having 3 central midfielders who can't attack, to last night which was 3 central midfielders who can't defend.

In fact last night they just seemed to play a flat 3. A simple one-two and they were through our midfield easily.

We need shape and balance.

bang on

On 01/02/2017 at 13:57, TheMelvillan said:

was outplayed by that little ginger fella last night who absolutely ran that midfield area

Ryan Woods. He was very good.

But I must admit, I was sitting there thinking - for God's sake someone take him out (gently and legitimately) or at least barge him over a few times to take him out of his stride.

He should not have been allowed the time and space he was. Stick a man on him and you have an entirely different game.

6 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Ryan Woods. He was very good.

But I must admit, I was sitting there thinking - for God's sake someone take him out (gently and legitimately) or at least barge him over a few times to take him out of his stride.

He should not have been allowed the time and space he was. Stick a man on him and you have an entirely different game.

Agreed. We need to be a bit nastier. if someone's running the show, give them a good kicking.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Worries me having just CH and HL in the middle of the park. Look at what Brentford did to us. We badly missed Jedinak.

I don't doubt that Hourihane and Lansbury are both good players, but they seem very similar. Can they both fit in the same XI is my worry. 

The thing is they could play like tht because we only had one striker and the balls were predictable so they knew how to defend it. If you have to two in Hogan and kodjia they leave themselves isolated and it's dangerous as these two can caught all kinds of problems.

Our play won't be as predictable with both on the pitch 

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't think we'll be seing diamonds, these players have been signed with 442 in mind I believe.

That's worries me. 

I'm not sure how effective hourihane and Lansbury will be in a two after what we saw against Brentford. 

Â