Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, Nabby said:

Looked off pace and like he had never played in this league ,was all over the place .His corners were not up to much either 

Never seen enough of him at Barnsley...but what system did he play in? was it a midfield 2 or 3? Will take him time to settle in to the side, but we have to play players in their best positions. Bjarnason is another...he's a wide player...we played him centrally. It's no wonder he looked lost!

I thought he was about as anonymous as it's possible to be.

He did improve when Lansbury went off, but until then he did next to nothing.

He's clearly a good player based on his previous performances in this league. But he's going to take some time to settle.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

He's clearly a good player based on his previous performances in this league. But he's going to take some time to settle.

Tactics screwed us. 

The plan was for everything to go through Lansbury and it was working, until he was marked out of the game.

This left Hourihane and Bjarnson doing literally nothing as the service wasn't there. The link between defence and the more attacking midfielders had been taken out.

I can't judge either player based on last night, the tactics just weren't right in the slightest. 

4 hours ago, Nabby said:

Looked off pace and like he had never played in this league ,was all over the place .His corners were not up to much either 

You mean all the ones that landed straight on Bakers head?

It was a quiet debut thats for sure but you can never really read into them much.

Really interested to see how this works out with Lansbury.

Cant be easy to come into a completly new midfield, especially when the team are not playing that well.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It will help if Bruce's plays him in the role he played at Barnsley. There's every chance that this player will be flop down to Bruce's tactics. 

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I would say at least he can't get worse. But Villa are great at doing that.

If the players performances get any worse we'll be going down, just let that sink in.

Edited by AVFCDAN

He was a victim of the system we used last night rather than being particularly bad at any aspect of his game.

Three new midfielders thrown in together in a "formation" that was non-existent.

I'm 100% confident he's going to be a good player for us.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It will help if Bruce's plays him in the role he played at Barnsley. There's every chance that this player will be flop down to Bruce's tactics. 

What role did he play at Barnsley?

7 minutes ago, dubliner said:

He was a victim of the system we used last night rather than being particularly bad at any aspect of his game.

Three new midfielders thrown in together in a "formation" that was non-existent.

I'm 100% confident he's going to be a good player for us.

Yep.

We need a holder.

I know some people aren't convinced by Jedinak, but I really think we need him there with the remit of winning the ball, and letting the other two do the passing/creating.

I haven't seen much of Hourihane but I imagine with Jedi doing that, it would allow the other two to get their foot on the ball a bit more and make things happen

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep.

We need a holder.

I know some people aren't convinced by Jedinak, but I really think we need him there with the remit of winning the ball, and letting the other two do the passing/creating.

I haven't seen much of Hourihane but I imagine with Jedi doing that, it would allow the other two to get their foot on the ball a bit more and make things happen

Spot on. 

I want to see that lovely double triangle on Sat, with Jedi in front of Baker and Chester, and Jedi behind Houri and Henri.

Width supplied by 1 of the wing backs (not Hutton LOL) and the 2 wingers, with one cutting inside when the ball is on the opposite flank.

Balls in the box should be attacked by 1 striker, 1 midfielder (Houri or Henri) and 1 of the two wingers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Spot on. 

I want to see that lovely double triangle on Sat, with Jedi in front of Baker and Chester, and Jedi behind Houri and Henri.

Width supplied by 1 of the wing backs (not Hutton LOL) and the 2 wingers, with one cutting inside when the ball is on the opposite flank.

Balls in the box should be attacked by 1 striker, 1 midfielder (Houri or Henri) and 1 of the two wingers.

You should watch my FM2015 team. Its that exact formation and a joy to behold. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Spot on. 

Dat aerial presence of Adomah, Hourihane and Kodjia.

We should sack off width.

Â