Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Both last two posts make a good point . . . his set piece delivery was excellent, but I thought he was shit in open play. 

So far I've been disappointed, which is sad since his was the signing I was most excited about. He hasn't come close to stamping his authority on a game. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yeah his set pieces are good. But when Jedinak is back, I'm not sure he wouldn't be the one I put on the bench. Bjarnason did well for me yesterday and Lansbury is a level above. 

Absolute madness to me that you'd bench him over bjarnason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

He has a wonderful left foot. His set pieces are always bang on at least. 

It is a pity we don't have a Martin Laursen or dare I say it a Steve Bruce in our team to attack those set pieces. I guess Baker is our best bet.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Absolute madness to me that you'd bench him over bjarnason. 

For me I rate regular play far more than set pieces. Bjarnason played well in midfield on Sat, I've yet to see Hourihane be any kind of influence outside of set pieces. 

13 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

For me I rate regular play far more than set pieces. Bjarnason played well in midfield on Sat, I've yet to see Hourihane be any kind of influence outside of set pieces. 

What did Bjarnason do in regular play over hourihane? 

Hourihane was much more involved in the game. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

What did Bjarnason do in regular play over hourihane? 

Hourihane was much more involved in the game. 

I would say he was better at: Closing down, winning the ball back, making runs beyond the forwards when they had the ball.

Hourihane had more touches simply by default as we played more down the left hand side. Baker had far more touches than Chester. Taylor had far more touches than Hutton. Same with Hourihane and Bjarnason.

I, personally, didn't notice Hourihane outside of seeing him take some corners and free-kicks. I continually noticed Bjarnason make runs beyond Kodjia who should've put him in a bunch of times. To me, that is contributing to play even though he's physically didn't touch the ball. It's really not his fault if he's not receiving the ball in these good positions.

But each to their own. If you think Hourihane played better than Bjarnason, that's obviously what you saw. I definitely saw it differently.

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I would say he was better at: Closing down, winning the ball back, making runs beyond the forwards when they had the ball.

Hourihane had more touches simply by default as we played more down the left hand side. Baker had far more touches than Chester. Taylor had far more touches than Hutton. Same with Hourihane and Bjarnason.

I, personally, didn't notice Hourihane outside of seeing him take some corners and free-kicks. I continually noticed Bjarnason make runs beyond Kodjia who should've put him in a bunch of times. To me, that is contributing to play even though he's physically didn't touch the ball. It's really not his fault if he's not receiving the ball in these good positions.

But each to their own. If you think Hourihane played better than Bjarnason, that's obviously what you saw. I definitely saw it differently.

I can't say I saw any fantastic runs that I thought wow, he should have been played in. He closed down players but then so did Hourihane IMO. 

And I don't think you can just dismiss set pieces. It's a huge part of the game and once again hourihane created good opportunities from them. 

Hourihane was arguably one of the players of the season before he joined us, there's no way I'd be benching him over bjarnason. 

• Like 1

I feel as though he is being overshadowed by Lansbury. At Barnsley he was the man, everything went through him! Here he doesn't have the responsibility yet! 

To begin with for me, he should be taking every free kick and corner over the Lansbury - his delivery is amazing!

Â