Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

My biggest gripe with Conor is that he's very slow in moving the ball out of his feet. I can overlook the lack of defensive contribution as we have other players to do that, but slowing down the play, with how quickly we play the ball is detrimental unless we're say at home against a weaker side. He was perfect for the Fulham game. We wouldn't have won against Leicester though if he was playing in place of either McGinn or Barkley because he can't move the ball quickly like the former or drive with it like both of them can, and we scored the winning goal with a combination of both attributes.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

In Ireland you spell **** with an e too as in feck.😀

Just be glad Mr and Mrs Hourihane didn't go with the more traditional "Conchobar" spelling! 😀

I'm not looking forward to when ye British scoundrels absolutely butcher it when Caoimhin Odhran Kelleher becomes Liverpool's first-choice keeper.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TRO said:

In Ireland you spell **** with an e too as in feck.😀

No no, they are two different words used in different situations. If somebody tells you to feck off then you're alright to hang about but if somebody tells you to **** off then it's best to make like a banana.

35 minutes ago, Enda said:

Just be glad Mr and Mrs Hourihane didn't go with the more traditional "Conchobar" spelling! 😀

I'm not looking forward to when ye British scoundrels absolutely butcher it when Caoimhin Odhran Kelleher becomes Liverpool's first-choice keeper.

Having flashbacks of Orlaith on Big Brother 6

On 23/10/2020 at 19:02, Enda said:

That’ll still be spelt Scouse w4nker. 

Fans are a bit split on Hourihane. Magic left peg yes, but has a tendency to go missing in matches.

What nobody can question is his attitude. Hard-working and determined. He is an excellent professional, and with McGinn and Barkley dropping in form he must be chomping at the bit to get on the field.

Maybe not against Arsenal, but I’d say he would relish a chance against Brighton.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

Fans are a bit split on Hourihane. Magic left peg yes, but has a tendency to go missing in matches.

What nobody can question is his attitude. Hard-working and determined. He is an excellent professional, and with McGinn and Barkley dropping in form he must be chomping at the bit to get on the field.

Maybe not against Arsenal, but I’d say he would relish a chance against Brighton.

I’m not a Hourihane fan, but I’d def drop Barkley or McGinn for him. They need to know they’re not untouchable and can’t get away with not putting a shift in. I’d at least trust Hourihane to make the most of that opportunity. 

• Like 2

I do think his open play contribution is a bit underrated here. Defensively, fine he's a liability. But offensively he contributes even outside of setpiece opportunities.

Conor only had 1 goal and 3 assists for set pieces last season. Even if you remove all that, he still has 2 goals and 2 assists from open play. His open play xA90 was much higher than any of our other CMs last season and equal to Grealish's open play xA90 last season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Enda said:

He always comes across as very hard working, so after 2 losses will no doubt be banging on Smith's door demanding to get a chance on the pitch. We could do with some fight so I'll be chompioning his return in some capacity, and hoping he steps up with a vital goal when he gets the chance rather being anonymous.

Conor was a great player in the Chompionship and is a solid Premier League squad player too. We could do with utilising that squad a bit more during matches and will certainly need to over the course of the season.

9 hours ago, villa89 said:

Hourihane is the definition of not putting a shift in. Mr. Anonymous in open play. 

We just have more than him, like it, he doesn't do enough of the ugly stuff, but who does?.....it just stands out a little bit morewith him.....right now McGinn is doing nothing of note, the odd bit here and there granted, but its not enough at this level.

The sort of player we need right now, is not on the books.....they are too ordinary for some, but they hold things together and get around the pitch.

a moden day Nobby Stiles (bless him) or a Des Bremner.....thats what we are missing.

Edited by TRO

Using him to make Barkley and MCginn realise they aren't undroppable may be his best use this season.  I don't see him improving our fortunes in any game when those two aren't, but giving them a kick up the backside or using him in games when any of our midfield should be good enough could be a useful management tool. 

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Miss his set pieces so much

Yeah. He is massive for us. I'm surprised Smith didn't bring him on when we were chasing the game. Barkley didn't really offer much and having his set pieces would make teams think twice about hacking Jack down. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah. He is massive for us. I'm surprised Smith didn't bring him on when we were chasing the game. Barkley didn't really offer much and having his set pieces would make teams think twice about hacking Jack down. 

Those floaty corners of Jack that is heading 1m/per hour does my head in.

I get Westwood deja vu from the Lambert era

Â