Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Watching a bit of IRL vs Wales just to see how Connor doing and just tracking him off the ball, its such a weakness for him, he must never work on it.

He is of average build, has average pace and has a magic left peg, really wish he could fix the above and we would have a fantastic squad player pushing the boys hard. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Watching a bit of IRL vs Wales just to see how Connor doing and just tracking him off the ball, its such a weakness for him, he must never work on it.

He is of average build, has average pace and has a magic left peg, really wish he could fix the above and we would have a fantastic squad player pushing the boys hard. 

Ireland don’t even seem to use Connor for set pieces, his best attribute. Bit of a waste as Brady is hit and miss on delivery.

He's only of any use in a dominant match with your team all over the opposition. Doesn't matter whether international or domestic, Jeff Hendrick or Jack Grealish alongside him. If you're not on top, Hourihane is pointless and will do nothing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He's only of any use in a dominant match with your team all over the opposition. Doesn't matter whether international or domestic, Jeff Hendrick or Jack Grealish alongside him. If you're not on top, Hourihane is pointless and will do nothing.

Conor is a luxury player.....but that's what Southgate thinks Jack is.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Conor is a luxury player.....but that's what Southgate thinks Jack is.

I've been watching them close recently and I think,and this is my own personal opinion, Jack is a better all around player then Connor.😉

It could so be argued that Southgate wouldn't know a good player if one jumped up and bit him in the ass*.

SOUTHGATE  OUT.

Steven Spielberg Film GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Like I've said repeatedly he's a flat track bully. I like him as a servant to the club but he's not good enough most PL opposition

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Always found it bizarre the amount of disrespect Conor gets on here. We would have been relegated by about 10 points if it wasn't for his goals / assists last year , yet he's the first player to get slagged off and called pointless

Yes he's not the most robust player defensively, but he contributes consistently in the areas of the game where most players can't - goals and assists

Take away his winners against Norwich / Newcastle and several assists in points winning games and we'd have been down

Very efficient player and also a model professional, clubman, never hear any issues re: off the field etc … yet for some reason he gets so much slack. 

Btw - this is not a reflection on him not starting at the moment. Barkley is obviously a massive improvement and should start ahead of him, just never really understood why Conor is perceived so different to someone like McGinn when he contributes offensively just as much if not more, and certainly played a much larger role in keeping us up than him last season. 

I'd say the general consensus lately has been exactly what you say.  Most appreciate what he brings, and recognise what he doesn't.  McGinn offers more defensively and as much offensively.  He is just an all round better player,  with only set pieces being in Conors favour. 

When Connor is asked to be the furthest forward of a midfield 3 he can be very effective. He has a very good shot and finish in his locker. He is a steady passer, and does work hard.

The problem with him is he is lightweight in the tackle (far too easily brushed aside), slow and lacking in aggression. 

To me his current status as back up no 8/10 is exactly where he should be and in the last half hour of games his set piece delivery and nose for a goal could come in handy.

I do feel like we miss a player that provides consistently good set pieces when he isn't on the pitch, but that need simply doesn't outweigh the effectiveness of a McGinn or Barkley when the ball's in play.

I have so much respect for Connor, the work he puts in and the mental strength he has shown. When the day comes that he has to leave I will be sad.

• Like 3

Â