Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Luiz is better

McGinn is better

An underperforming luiz (which is regular) is not better

An underperforming McGinn (which is regular) is not better.

I appreciate that Conor isnt great defensively, but watch the highlights of leeds and Southampton how would people rate luiz and mcginn defensively.

Would Conor have done better?

He definitely wouldn't have been as anonymous as some have suggested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

Luiz is better

McGinn is better

An underperforming luiz (which is regular) is not better

An underperforming McGinn (which is regular) is not better.

I appreciate that Conor isnt great defensively, but watch the highlights of leeds and Southampton how would people rate luiz and mcginn defensively.

Would Conor have done better?

He definitely wouldn't have been as anonymous as some have suggested. 

Did I miss something?

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

No, IMO. Look back at his villa career and name one really impressive performance he has put in? There aren't any. 

That statement is just wrong 

Yes he is not the best but you don't get as many goals and assists without playing well 

For example we don't beat Newcastle last year without him or the Norwich game where he got a hat trick 

It is one thing not starting him but when were looking for goal not bringing him on is criminal 

Just look at the last league game he played goal and assist and them stats are the ones that win games

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gaffer85 said:

That statement is just wrong 

Yes he is not the best but you don't get as many goals and assists without playing well 

For example we don't beat Newcastle last year without him or the Norwich game where he got a hat trick 

It is one thing not starting him but when were looking for goal not bringing him on is criminal 

Just look at the last league game he played goal and assist and them stats are the ones that win games

i think folk get confused with playing well and scoring goals, sure they are not mutually exclusive, but sometimes folk will say a player has played well, and done nothing but score the goals.....now goals are the holy grail, but just scoring them does'nt necessarily render a perfomance as great.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TRO said:

i think folk get confused with playing well and scoring goals, sure they are not mutually exclusive, but sometimes folk will say a player has played well, and done nothing but score the goals.....now goals are the holy grail, but just scoring them does'nt necessarily render a perfomance as great.

I think it's rare to say a player was average, but still scored a hatrick

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gaffer85 said:

You don't get as many goals and assists without playing well 

You do if you take all the corners and free kicks. 

If you are using stats to judge him fine, his stats are probably great. I'm not. I've watched him play more than enough to see he's not good enough for the premier league. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I think it's rare to say a player was average, but still scored a hatrick

it is....but maybe that says more about us, than the situation.

do you have someone in mind?

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, tinker said:

The value of a player who can deliver a good free kick should not be underestimated, they can win you games..... .. 

Of course they can, but if they are instrumental or aiding and abetting  in letting in more than they score or assist in scoring.......its false economics.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

You do if you take all the corners and free kicks. 

If you are using stats to judge him fine, his stats are probably great. I'm not. I've watched him play more than enough to see he's not good enough for the premier league. 

Fine but no one else on our team is even competent at these things. So Conor is instantly providing goal and assists threat. And last season he was tied with Jack in for expected assists per 90 from open play. So it isn't like he doesn't offer anything from open play. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Of course they can, but if they are instrumental or aiding and abetting  in letting in more than they score or assist in scoring.......its false economics.

But if mcginn is playing poorly I would argue he is worse for us defensively than hourihane is. Because mcginn charges out of position and leaves Luiz and our full backs exposed. Conor maintains his position and forces attackers to stay outwide. It becomes a 3 on 3 or 3 on 2 situation for us. And he is decent at reading the game to put his foot in. He isn't afraid to give a foul away and he will be the first man over to defend another player if an opponent gets a bit pushy. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

it is....but maybe that says more about us, than the situation.

do you have someone in mind?

No actually. I agree with you he is limited. There's plenty of stand out moments/goals but not many, if any standout performances. I cant even remember is overall performance when he got the hatrick.

He would look bloody sensational on YouTube though!

If there was a rule where we could sub him on for a set piece and then sub him off instantly after that would be great but we can't. As long as our main midfield 3 are fit then Hourihane should never start. 

53 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ah, thankfully I saw the 14 games before that :)

And you saw a CDM constantly breaking up attacks?

Dont get me wrong I think technically he is a good player, I dont think he is a CDM at the moment, and I dont think he is has the awareness to play there at the moment. He had a good post lockdown but I dont think he has been particularly noticeable this season.

I think both he and conor are better wide, I dont think either are Cdm, I think mcginn would be better there.

• Like 1

Â