Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

You do if you take all the corners and free kicks. 

If you are using stats to judge him fine, his stats are probably great. I'm not. I've watched him play more than enough to see he's not good enough for the premier league. 

Well he is good enough just not as a starter which I have already said,

You blatantly said he never played well for us , I was stating that you don't get that many goals and assists without playing well , I even gave examples and before you say again regarding set plays go check and see how many were actually from set pieces

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Sorry you lost me there. 

Its true though. Even if you don't trust expected assists to be accurate here, he still had 2 actual assists in open play last season. That might not sound like much, but Jack had 3 open play assists and played near 4 times the amount of minutes Conor did last season.

Like, Jack only had 5 assists total last season. Its not a large amount. I'm not trying to argue that Jack and Conor are similar level players, but if you look purely at their assists per minute ratio, even just in open play, they're about the same level. And that's being generous to Jack here.

Edit: My bad, Jack had 6 assists instead of 5. Point still stands though.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

On 05/11/2020 at 21:50, Stratvillan said:

Luiz is better

Yes.

McGinn is better

Yes.

An underperforming luiz (which is regular) is not better

Yes he is.

An underperforming McGinn (which is regular) is not better.

Yes he is.

He definitely wouldn't have been as anonymous as some have suggested. 

Yes he would. He always is against an opposition that we aren't battering.

Would I start him against Brighton and Newcastle? Yes. Yes I would.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

And you saw a CDM constantly breaking up attacks?

Dont get me wrong I think technically he is a good player, I dont think he is a CDM at the moment, and I dont think he is has the awareness to play there at the moment. He had a good post lockdown but I dont think he has been particularly noticeable this season.

I think both he and conor are better wide, I dont think either are Cdm, I think mcginn would be better there.

Yes! We are both talking about Luiz right? Post lockdown and until Southampton game i saw one of the best cdm we’ve had in years. He was pretty much motm for every game post lockdown last season and one of the reasons we stayed up. I’m perplexed by your posts. Even against Leeds he was the only one that kept going until the end. 

He had a poor first half against Southampton yes. But even then he was only caught out once really.  Luiz isn’t the problem. It’s Mcginn and Barkley leaving too much space in the middle when we haven’t got the ball.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

but if you look purely at their assists per minute ratio

I won't ever look at that stat because in my opinion it's pretty meaningless. You can play excellent pass to Keenan davis over and over again and not get one assist. Yet you can play a bad pass to Jack, watch him beat two players and rifle one into the top corner and you get an assist. 

I don't use stats to judge players because in my opinion football isn't a game that can be accurately measured statistically. I'll leave it at that. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I don't use stats to judge players because in my opinion football isn't a game that can be accurately measured statistically. I'll leave it at that. 

Oh dear. Something tells me pretty much every modern football coach in the world worth his salt would disagree with that statement😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I won't ever look at that stat because in my opinion it's pretty meaningless. You can play excellent pass to Keenan davis over and over again and not get one assist. Yet you can play a bad pass to Jack, watch him beat two players and rifle one into the top corner and you get an assist. 

I don't want to argue against your general point against statistics point. I think that's a point that we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

But more specifically, do you think Conor's open play assists last season were unimpressive? The 2 assists in question were Wesley's second goal against Norwich and the second goal against Palace at the tail-end of last season. If you don't remember them exactly, there are highlights of those easily available on youtube.

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

I agree.

17 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

And you saw a CDM constantly breaking up attacks?

Dont get me wrong I think technically he is a good player, I dont think he is a CDM at the moment, and I dont think he is has the awareness to play there at the moment. He had a good post lockdown but I dont think he has been particularly noticeable this season.

I think both he and conor are better wide, I dont think either are Cdm, I think mcginn would be better there.

The problem is, when one or two are off the pace, it drags others in....but i think you have a point.....but i don't think McGinn is a CDM either, that's my dilemma. There has been times both have played ok there, but they are not naturals in that position imv.

Edited by TRO

While it's clear as day why he isn't starting for us, it feels a bit harsh on him not te get any minutes at all. 

When you are 3-0 up with 10 minutes to go it can't hurt to bring him on, also giving McGinn or Barkley a little rest. 

I suppose the same goes for Davis. 

I love it that certain players are struggling from the bench to get game time. It shows we are becoming a more stable team. Too much chopping and changing last season. Yes, a lack of stability last season but a good sign this season that we are on the right track. Conor will get game time undoubtedly this season. It will be up to him to also raise his game like the rest of the team to continue getting it, or make way.  

Hardly noticed him playing at all last night.  We’ve certainly upgraded our team greatly this season.  Useful squad player for now but wonder if it’s best he moves on in January or next summer, especially if we sign additional players.

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Hardly noticed him playing at all last night.  We’ve certainly upgraded our team greatly this season.  Useful squad player for now but wonder if it’s best he moves on in January or next summer, especially if we sign additional players.

He probably will, which is probably for the best but also a bit sad. I really like Conor and he's been part of one helluva ride for us.

• Like 2

Â