Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Anyone else feels bad for him?

Won our first 2 games with him starting and didn't put a foot wrong.

Since then he has not kicked a ball.

Well if he's not even doing that in training then he shouldn't be getting into the first XI.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Anyone else feels bad for him?

Won our first 2 games with him starting and didn't put a foot wrong.

Since then he has not kicked a ball.

He's been one of my favourite players for ages now. He's far from perfect but he always pops up and delivers when it matters most. His attitude is an example of what every player should act like and he was integral in the turnaround of this club's fortunes.

I'm sad for him, but who do you drop at the moment? It's really difficult.

11 hours ago, Greenfly said:

He's been one of my favourite players for ages now. He's far from perfect but he always pops up and delivers when it matters most. His attitude is an example of what every player should act like and he was integral in the turnaround of this club's fortunes.

I'm sad for him, but who do you drop at the moment? It's really difficult.

I agree but I do wish Smith would give subs a few more minutes. 3-0 up against Arsenal it wouldn’t hurt to give the likes of Conor ten minutes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

It's a long season, weve a lot of games over Christmas, I've no doubt he will have a part to play. 

Problem is, around Christmas is when we have a run of hard games that he's typically not suited for. If he's going to come in, it needs to be between now and then. It's a perfect run for him to relieve some pressure off John and Ross.

I know the levels of the teams were different, but you saw Conors limitations in the England/Ireland game.  On a few occasions he'd make a decent pass, but just stand and admire it, when he really should have been on the move into space to receive the ball again to help Ireland build some attacks.

You compare that with England's movement (off the ball) and you saw players passing and moving into space, even if it meant going backwards or playing a 1-2, it just keeps the ball moving.

I really like Conor, I think he has a lot to offer, but you just can't see Barkley being dropped for him because he lacks that atheltisim to get around the pitch, which makes a huge difference in the Prem.

He's got a sweet left peg though, and his set peice delivery is great most of the time.

It's not too late to improve for him though, so if he can add other strings to his bow, he'll get into the team again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I know the levels of the teams were different, but you saw Conors limitations in the England/Ireland game.  On a few occasions he'd make a decent pass, but just stand and admire it, when he really should have been on the move into space to receive the ball again to help Ireland build some attacks.

You compare that with England's movement (off the ball) and you saw players passing and moving into space, even if it meant going backwards or playing a 1-2, it just keeps the ball moving.

I really like Conor, I think he has a lot to offer, but you just can't see Barkley being dropped for him because he lacks that atheltisim to get around the pitch, which makes a huge difference in the Prem.

He's got a sweet left peg though, and his set peice delivery is great most of the time.

It's not too late to improve for him though, so if he can add other strings to his bow, he'll get into the team again.

I agree with most of that....inc  the bit about athleticism, but i don't agree, its not too late......I think it is too late, but I don't think it was ever correctible, some things just can't be changed like height, but i think athleticism is difficult to change too, its mainly in your DNA.

He is 29, that boat has probably sailed imo......and in todays game particularly, its crucial at the top level.

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I think we will look back on his time here slightly fonder than the way he is sometimes talked about on here. He’s by no means the perfect midfielder but he’s done plenty of good things for us. More than that, at 20 years old he was bombed out of two clubs and managed to get a gig in League 2 for Plymouth. If at that time you said to him “before you turn 30 you’ll captain two clubs, be a squad player for Aston Villa in the PL and be a couple of games away from 150 appearances for them, and have played 22 times for Ireland” he’d have been delighted. I’m very happy for the lad that he’s achieved most of what I think he could have hoped for in his career and has a few years left to go.

I totally agree.

I like the lad a lot....I am aware of his short falls, you are right, he will be looked back upon with fond memories......He reminds me a lot of Andy Blair, for some of the older ones on here....not quite there, but still a decent player.

folk reference his dead ball prowess, but he is cute at arriving late for loose balls in the box too....He is what he is......but he is a loyal villa man too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Problem is, around Christmas is when we have a run of hard games that he's typically not suited for. If he's going to come in, it needs to be between now and then. It's a perfect run for him to relieve some pressure off John and Ross.

Ross Barkley will play every game that he is fit, hes come here to force himself into the england side and I'd assume he probably has some pretty strong promises around playing time

On 15/11/2020 at 20:02, cheltenham_villa said:

Ross Barkley will play every game that he is fit, hes come here to force himself into the england side and I'd assume he probably has some pretty strong promises around playing time

Not against Chelsea he won't 😅

On 15/11/2020 at 13:58, Adam2003 said:

I think we will look back on his time here slightly fonder than the way he is sometimes talked about on here. He’s by no means the perfect midfielder but he’s done plenty of good things for us. More than that, at 20 years old he was bombed out of two clubs and managed to get a gig in League 2 for Plymouth. If at that time you said to him “before you turn 30 you’ll captain two clubs, be a squad player for Aston Villa in the PL and be a couple of games away from 150 appearances for them, and have played 22 times for Ireland” he’d have been delighted. I’m very happy for the lad that he’s achieved most of what I think he could have hoped for in his career and has a few years left to go.

I'm totally with you, he DOES have his shortcomings which probably make him no good enough to be a premier league starter. Nonetheless, he was the match winner at least twice last season, against Newcastle and Norwich on boxing day, and those points proved to be crucial for our survival. And that goal against the baggies in the playoffs was pure poetry 😍

On 15/11/2020 at 14:15, Adam2003 said:

I agree but I do wish Smith would give subs a few more minutes. 3-0 up against Arsenal it wouldn’t hurt to give the likes of Conor ten minutes.

We were 1-0 up against Liverpool last season without Grealish. Conor subbed on 73rd minute. Lost 2-1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We were 1-0 up against Liverpool last season without Grealish. Conor subbed on 73rd minute. Lost 2-1

Agreed but I think 3-0 is different to 1-0 and I also don’t think that was 100% exclusively Conor’s fault!

Im not so worried about him getting minutes - more that SOMEONE has to give the first XI the occasional ten minute rest.

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can remember him missing a sitter, that’s were I thought we’ll lose the game. Anyway he’s really a good choice to have in the squad. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I do wonder if we would entertain bids for him in January. He wants to play football and he would definitely have suitors from Premier League clubs near the bottom of the table

I am not so sure of that. He definitely needs replacing though, he was hopeless last night against the mighty Bulgarians. 

Â