Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Seeing players improve under a manager isn't something we are used to here, but it is certainly happening under Smith. Hourihane seems to be developing as a player, he needed to, let's hope he can keep it going.

• Like 1

What all of our players will have to prepare for in the PL - but especially Hourihane - is having less time on the ball. At the moment, I would be very worried watching him pick up the ball in our half against Liverpool, City or Spurs. Doing weights in the gym won't help, it's all in the head.

On 13/01/2017 at 22:26, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Can't remember the last Corkman to play for Villa if ever there was one.

was Robbie Keane from Cork?.....Oops Dublin.

Roy was, but he was a coach.

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I hope he hits the weights this summer. If he can bulk up a bit like Jack did it would do him a world of good. He's got the ability.

I agree. I know somebody who acquired one of his match worn shirts, it's an extra small. 

Being slight helps him stay mobile, but there's surely a balance to be found. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I agree. I know somebody who acquired one of his match worn shirts, it's an extra small. 

Being slight helps him stay mobile, but there's surely a balance to be found. 

I had a picture took with him last season after a match when he came by the boxes and I was struck by how sleight he was. Literally the skinniest bloke I've ever met.

I do see him get outmuscled a fair bit, and on his arse appealing for a free kick as the ref waves his protest away whilst the opponents break on us.

If he can sort out that part of his game I think he'd be a more complete player.

If Ashley Westwood can have a good season in the Premier, so can this guy.

However, I expect us to buy a DCM and play them and the Super J's so Conor and (I expect) Whelan to be on the bench a lot.

On 29/05/2019 at 13:25, KentVillan said:

What all of our players will have to prepare for in the PL - but especially Hourihane - is having less time on the ball. At the moment, I would be very worried watching him pick up the ball in our half against Liverpool, City or Spurs. Doing weights in the gym won't help, it's all in the head.

It might be partly in the head but 100% being a bit beefed up will help.

On 30/05/2019 at 04:46, Keyblade said:

I hope he hits the weights this summer. If he can bulk up a bit like Jack did it would do him a world of good. He's got the ability.

Did Mickey O'Neil bulk up before he fought Horace Anderson?

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Did Mickey O'Neil bulk up before he fought Horace Anderson?

I don't mean specifically for the PL, just in general. He is very slight. Jack was the same when he was coming through, but now is much tougher physically and it's helped his game a lot. He has to be fouled to get pushed off the ball whereas Conor is easily brushed off without being fouled which isn't a good look for someone anchoring the midfield.

• Like 1

I've been critical of his all round game at times but I think he can definitely command a squad place next season.

He seriously impressed me with his tenacity and composure in the final. He's always had the passing, long range shooting and set piece delivery, but I didn't think he had a game like the final in him. Add in the fact he's a top lad with a brain and I would definitely include him next season.

• Like 1

Hourihane Interview

Hourihane: People don’t see sacrifices I put in

His Bandon accent doesn’t quite reach the same caustic shrill of exasperation as, say, a certain someone from Mayfield, but there could be no denying that this was Conor Hourihane channelling his inner Roy.

As he castigated the attitude of the young, wealthy, modern professional footballer, it felt as if he had been keen get it all off his chest for some time. Hourihane wasn’t ranting or raving, yet the clinical tone he struck with his criticisms was piercing...

Great interview and insight into his journey and career. I’m backing him to be a success next season. Seems there’s too many youngsters who feel they’ve ‘made it’. 

Edited by villan-scott

Â