Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I wouldn't mind dropping Adomah and Green and playing Whelan McGinn in double pivot with Hourihane behind Tammy and 2 of Grealish and AEG or Kodjia either side

I wouldn't have the pair near the first team.

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Give Hourihane the ball in space, a bit of time to tee it up and think about what he's going to do, and he looks Champions League quality.

🤨, he's lower championship quality at best. His passing is woeful, the only asset he has is scoring goals and crosses/freekicks. In general play he isn't up to it. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villa89 said:

🤨, he's lower championship quality at best. His passing is woeful, the only asset he has is scoring goals and crosses/freekicks. In general play he isn't up to it. 

Lol his passing is very good, as is his setpieces. His issue his is lightweight and does not dominate the midfield in anyway

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Lol his passing is very good, as is his setpieces. His issue his is lightweight and does not dominate the midfield in anyway

He has a very average passer. His issue is he only ever passes the way he receives the ball. His first touch is not great, the way he receives the ball is not great,he is never in a position to turn and he doesn't use his body well enough to hold on to the ball in dangerous areas in our half.
It's not his fault, it is just not his game and never has been.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Whelan would be torn apart by a high pressing Leeds, Conor has to play so we can keep the ball better when we have it.

Obvious mistake from Whelan aside he really doesn't keep the ball better than Whelan and doesn't find space for an out ball like Whelan does. The first yard is in the head.

Conor does not understand the position. He never will. In a game where you are going to have loads of the ball against a Pulisball team he will rack him 90% pass accuracy, he won't against an attacking side.

• Like 1

Only of any use in that position when we're absolutely dominating. Not good enough to play on the half turn and knows it. It kills our game. Whelan isn't really good enough to do it either but he tries to, his errors come from trying to do the right thing.

Gave out some horror passes to put others under pressure. 

Good penalty. Looked right in the corner but haven't seen a replay of it from behind.

No chance we'll beat Leeds with him in that position.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

Yep I wasn't really talking about his passing. I meant his shots and set piece delivery. And tbh, I don't think you understood the point I was making (in the bit you didn't quote).... I wasn't really praising him.

Edited by KentVillan

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Obvious mistake from Whelan aside he really doesn't keep the ball better than Whelan and doesn't find space for an out ball like Whelan does. The first yard is in the head.

How many of these Whelans are Whelans?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

If he starts, he'll be fine when we're on top.

When we're defending/struggling to play out, I want him to show some balls and take responsibility with the ball. Jack had to come right back in the second leg v Albion because he was hiding.

Early goal for us would help him I think, especially if he's involved. Hope he bags a hat-trick.

6 minutes ago, kieranavfc said:

50/1 to score 2+ tomorrow. Defo getting on that if it turns out he's starting

Tasty bet. There was a bit of twitter chat he's in. Him and Albert.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

If he starts, he'll be fine when we're on top.

When we're defending/struggling to play out, I want him to show some balls and take responsibility with the ball. Jack had to come right back in the second leg v Albion because he was hiding.

Early goal for us would help him I think, especially if he's involved. Hope he bags a hat-trick.

This is where Tuanzebe can come in though. I remember the boro game specifically away this season, when he brings it out from the back the rest of the team push up and we try play through the lines faster. Conor is not effective bringing the ball out, he doesn't and isn't suddenly going to start, gliding past people. In the opposition's half he is way more effective. I think we have to be that aggressive tomorrow. Get so on top that Mings and Tuanzebe are pushed up. Dangerous yes but let's go for it. Don't want regrets like last season.

Seems a bit unfair that all the Hourihane vs Whelan talk is in the Whelan thread so bump.

Think he will play a big part today in a positive way, starting or from the bench.

Â