Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

19 hours ago, jim said:

8 goals and 12 assists from a DM. Yeah sure I need to have a word 🤔

Hourihane is never a DM. Most of his attacking returns that aren't from set pieces are when he's been given licence to get forward, one game I remember in our recent run he was probably our most advanced player if we did heat maps. He just does not have the mindset to do the job someone like Whelan or more illustrious DMs do. He looks lost as a water carrier

• Like 2

For me Hourihane vs Whelan in the last game isn't a debate. Smith has to pick one of them and hope it works out, if it doesn't he then has the ability to change it up which he did to great effect.

Completely understand why he kept Whelan in the side, he breaks play up and lets McGinn and Grealish do their thing. Against a good WBA team that should have been exactly what we needed. However, WBA weren't a good side at all, we dominated the possession as they sat back to soak it up; in that scenario Hourihane is the better option as we were struggling to break them down.

Fairplay to Smith, it was his tactical nous that won us the game. It likely wouldn't have been a change Bruce would have made 12 months prior.

Fairplay to Hourihane, he came on and took the game by the scruff of the neck.

Smith now has to decide what to do tomorrow. Try to keep it tight at the back whilst hitting them on the break for a goal with Whelan, or take the game to them with Hourihane and shut up shop with Whelan later when WBA need 2-3 goals. I know which option I would prefer and I imagine it is exactly what Smith will do.

As much as I loved his goal as a Villa fan the amount of time and space he had to pick his shot after wildly gesticulating for the ball in acres of space was disgusting but I guess that was Baggies MO

11 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nope it's fantastic, but it's a relevant point when someone argues he's one of our most important players due to x amount of goals and y amount of assists. Which obviously to anyone half rational he isn't. Unless the argument is that every single first team player is one of our better players. 

I’m just not sure I understand your point. With most of our players, I don’t think free kicks would result in goals. When he takes them they do. How is that not a major asset? I’d get your point if we were talking penalties, but it’s weird to me that you would devalue a vital goal from a free kick.

I think I must be missing your point so apologies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

As much as I loved his goal as a Villa fan the amount of time and space he had to pick his shot after wildly gesticulating for the ball in acres of space was disgusting but I guess that was Baggies MO

Thats’s how scared teams are of Grealish. If you have four men on him you will leave huge gaps.

• Like 1

He really isn't better on the ball than Whelan. No forward pass and the weight of them is horrific. We were getting pressed to death for an hour and he just never got on it. He is not a DM and he never will be.

He has got us to the final with some crucial goals this season and I could be happier for him, he has made some proper memories for us...but I don't think he starts the final.

On 13/05/2019 at 19:45, Kiwivillan said:

Hourihane is never a DM. Most of his attacking returns that aren't from set pieces are when he's been given licence to get forward, one game I remember in our recent run he was probably our most advanced player if we did heat maps. He just does not have the mindset to do the job someone like Whelan or more illustrious DMs do. He looks lost as a water carrier

I'll say it again. Hourihane is never a DM 

• Like 2

Give Hourihane the ball in space, a bit of time to tee it up and think about what he's going to do, and he looks Champions League quality.

Put him under pressure, make him use his feet, and he looks League One.

That's the dilemma. I'd keep keep him on the bench -- I reckon he's more dangerous coming on against tired legs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â