Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

15 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Have a word 😂

8 goals and 12 assists from a DM. Yeah sure I need to have a word 🤔

• Like 3

4 hours ago, villarocker said:

When the team was published yesterday, all around me were questioning why Whelan over Hourihane? Then Whelan's mistake came and it just strangthened the question. But, as the first half progressed, you could see that Albion had no attacking intent and that Whelan needed to be replaced by Hourihane. 

Second half started and again we were asking why no change? Then Grealish got the ball about 22 yards out and played it nicely into the path of Whelan for him to strike at goal. The shot was tamely hit low into a wall of players. I looked at the guys around me and asked this question "did you ever think he would score that?" To which all replied "no, nah, no chance" etc. Then I said "but if it was Hourihane?" And all agreed that they would have backed him to have at least worked the keeper. 

Hourihane came on and did just that for his brilliant goal and that is why he should play over Whelan. He may not have that defensive mind to spot a runner but he gives so much more to the game than Whelan does. He can pass, shoot, take a great corner and his a cracking free kick. 

Hopefully we have two more games left this season and Hourihane starts in both of them.

I'd never have expected Kante, Fernandinho, Busquets or Makelele even in this prime to have scored that either. 
Hourihane offers something much different than Whelan does, and the only reason them two are competing for the same spot is our lack of defensive midfielders. Hourihane should be competing with McGinn and Grealish for that more attacking role. Judging our defensive midfielder on how dangerous they are in the final 3rd is wrong. 

Whelan is probably gonna start again on Tuesday and for good reason. Despite his mistake (Everyone is allowed a mistake) he offers much more defensive protection and keeps the ball moving better, especially when we need to lower the teams tempo. This is exactly what we are going to need against a team that will be desperate to win, will attack and try to keep a high tempo to the game. We need game managment Tuesday, and will need to compete for the midfield, as they will unlikely start with 5 defenders again. 

Hourihane is a fantastic attacking midfielder, but is very lacking when it comes to defending, which, however boring it is, is something all teams have to do sometimes. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jim said:

8 goals and 12 assists from a DM. Yeah sure I need to have a word 🤔

So more important than Steer? Grealish? McGinn? Zebe? Mings? El Ghazi? Abraham? 

I fully disagree on all of that. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Yeah just cos he might line up a bit deeper it doesn't make him a defensive midfielder because ultimately he's regularly occupying spaces that a proper DM wouldn't, whether that's by making more runs into the box or frequently hovering on the edge in order to get a shot off.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree he's an important player. But he's not a DM

As do I but it’s the position he has been played this season. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

So more important than Steer? Grealish? McGinn? Zebe? Mings? El Ghazi? Abraham? 

I fully disagree on all of that. 

Where did I say he was more important than any of the above? Learn to read! 

32 minutes ago, jim said:

Where did I say he was more important than any of the above? Learn to read! 

You went on to say he's one of our most important players, I listed over 60 % of the starting first team, if you have no disagreements on that, then by the very definition he is not one of our most important players. He isn't even among our top two players in his own position in terms of importance. 

Learn to make sense. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You went on to say he's one of our most important players, I listed over 60 % of the starting first team, if you have no disagreements on that, then by the very definition he is not one of our most important players. He isn't even among our top two players in his own position in terms of importance. 

Learn to make sense. 

Deary me, I make perfect sense!  ONE of is what I said not the most important. 

Edited by jim
  • Haha 1

**** me what ever his point was........He made it.

you simply can't leave that weaponary out.

Edited by TRO

I love Hourihane. I've been supporting him throughout and have defended him against some absolutely mind boggling criticism for a player with so many assists and goals. He's been unfortunate to have had some great midfielders in McGinn and Grealish which means he doesn't really have a position at the moment. In most games in the Championship he should start with the pair of them and try to adapt his game.

However, I do think he should be a sub on Tuesday. He should have started on Saturday when we weren't going to need that defensive element. On saying that, he tracked back magnificently to prevent a breakaway goal that would have killed the game. But for a game away from home where the approach will tilt to the defensive side, Whelen is the obvious choice. 

Should we fail, on Tuesday or in the final, then I do think McGinn and Hourihane will be our central pairing in the Championship and that's more than good enough. Grealish would be a loss, obviously, but equally it was our defensive frailities which contributed to our less successful periods.

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Out of interest how many of his goals and assists are from open play? 

I don’t know the answer to this but it’s not a bad thing to have someone who can score from the decent amount of free kicks we win, is it?

3 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I love Hourihane. I've been supporting him throughout and have defended him against some absolutely mind boggling criticism for a player with so many assists and goals. He's been unfortunate to have had some great midfielders in McGinn and Grealish which means he doesn't really have a position at the moment. In most games in the Championship he should start with the pair of them and try to adapt his game.

However, I do think he should be a sub on Tuesday. He should have started on Saturday when we weren't going to need that defensive element. On saying that, he tracked back magnificently to prevent a breakaway goal that would have killed the game. But for a game away from home where the approach will tilt to the defensive side, Whelen is the obvious choice. 

Should we fail, on Tuesday or in the final, then I do think McGinn and Hourihane will be our central pairing in the Championship and that's more than good enough. Grealish would be a loss, obviously, but equally it was our defensive frailities which contributed to our less successful periods.

This. Apart from that before the game I wanted Whelan to start as I think that gives us a more balanced team. I never thought wba would park the bus like that. In hindsight I think Hourihane should've started the way the game turned out. But it'll be very different on Tuesday so Whelan starts again in my book.

How I'd love for us to reach the final, having a draw at the 89th minute, get a freekick and Hourihane to score the winner from it. He deserves it after all the unfair criticism he's got. (Not all criticism has been unfair, but much of it has.) If not him I hope for Grealish to send us up. Or Green.

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t know the answer to this but it’s not a bad thing to have someone who can score from the decent amount of free kicks we win, is it?

Nope it's fantastic, but it's a relevant point when someone argues he's one of our most important players due to x amount of goals and y amount of assists. Which obviously to anyone half rational he isn't. Unless the argument is that every single first team player is one of our better players. 

I'm starting to really love this guy. He is showing so much passion recently. He is definitely benefiting so much from proper coaching and competition for places.

He gets a lot of criticism but he has a wonderful left foot, Hitzlsperger 2.0. Not originally a DCM but when Grealish and McGinn are ahead of him he might be learning a new trade? Against Leeds he won the most duels on the pitch. Thats impressve for a ACM by nature. Teams can't sit back when he is in the side, 25 yards out this guy is lethal. 

Â