The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Ah well, time to see more of the youngsters I reckon. Give Green, Bree, RDM some more time on the pitch

Yeah get RDM on the pitch so we can throw things at him! 

Edited by chrisvilla4
  • Like 3

Another season in the Championship might actually be a blessing in disguise at this point. I think it is unlikely that we will be losing our best players this summer and a succesful season (hopefully ending with us winning the league) will bring back a winning mentality that we have sorely missed these years. But we can't afford to fluff it next season.

It was always a long shot given our early and mid season blips in form. After last season it was always going to take something special to turn that losing form around.

Even though we are now out of contention, we still need to finish the season strongly and build understanding and confidence for next seasons championship winning push. We have not had a particularly long period of time to gain a settled team with all the signings and injuries this season, so use this time left to hopefully build momentum to take into next season.

Well, considering January and February all but destroying our promotion hopes I've been encouraged by the way we've turned things around.

I hope we continue in this manner to the end of the season and head into next year with the determination to secure promotion automatically.

I was disheartened by Bruce and the results at the beginning of 2017 but think we're heading in the right direction and can see the team needs one or two tweaks to improve it.

Roll on next season but let's finish this one properly too (with the destruction of small heath high on the agenda!)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Well, considering January and February all but destroying our promotion hopes I've been encouraged by the way we've turned things around.

I hope we continue in this manner to the end of the season and head into next year with the determination to secure promotion automatically.

I was disheartened by Bruce and the results at the beginning of 2017 but think we're heading in the right direction and can see the team needs one or two tweaks to improve it.

Roll on next season but let's finish this one properly too (with the destruction of small heath high on the agenda!)

If only that was all.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

If only that was all.

I know its a little more than that but we're not far off.

(GK needs sorting, a good back up CB, a good back up DM, a Left Winger and a 2/3 choice striker - so maybe 5 tweaks ;) )

To be fair, with Wednesday winning, the dream wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway! 

Win the remaining games, go up the easy way next year. We have to. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

To be fair, with Wednesday winning, the dream wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway! 

Win the remaining games, go up the easy way next year. We have to. 

Wouldn't say so. It depends how goes down from BPL, if Hull goes down with Silva and Swansea with Clement I think it'll be very compettive league, these two are great managers and would sort their teams out imho

Edited by Alakagom

To be honest Sheffield winning today would have blown our chance even if we had won today. My thinking was always that if we could get them to 6 points we might have an outside chance. 

It was always, always a long shot anyway but it's 100% over now. 

51 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Wouldn't say so. It depends how goes down from BPL, if Hull goes down with Silva and Swansea with Clement I think it'll be very compettive league, these two are great managers and would sort their teams out imho

I think it will be Swansea, and Sigurdsson and probably Fer will leave and there's not a whole lot left behind after that. Clement didn't do brilliantly with Derby. 

Alright well back to reality, the shite football is concerning, but let's keep it real, had we had even 3/4 of the form we have shown over the past few games over a whole settled season, we would easily be in playoffs or Automatic promotion spots.

• Like 1

It was a long shot but I think we've just been trying to win all the remaining games and see what happens, and if that means being super tight defensively and nicking goals through a top striker then so be it.

We now have a lot of time and an entire preseason to work on acclimatising Hourihane, Hogan, Bree, a handful of new signings and to a lesser extent Grealish, Green, Amavi and so on with that strong unit to play more dominating football. It's never going to be tiki taka with Bruce, but I'm pretty confident we'll be more attractive to watch and effective going forward next season.

I'm really not that bothered about having not been promoted this season, it's been fun down here and will be even more enjoyable now that the rot looks to have been purged.

• Like 4

Gotta be realistic, are we likely to be as shit as we were the first 10-11 games under di Matteo? Unlikely if same squad. So at least we won't be playing catchup most the season, well fingers crossed