The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

I don't ever think we are going to be great in this division. The run we've just been on will probably be as good as it gets, but that should be good enough to get us out of this division. IMO you don't get out of this division playing overly stylish football. I haven't seen one team at VP this season that I have rated or thought 'wow'.  Even newcastle we pretty much matched. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I don't ever think we are going to be great in this division. The run we've just been on will probably be as good as it gets, but that should be good enough to get us out of this division. IMO you don't get out of this division playing overly stylish football. I haven't seen one team at VP this season that I have rated or thought 'wow'.  Even newcastle we pretty much matched. 

The only team they have played us off the park at VP was wolves

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The only team they have played us off the park at VP was wolves

Do you know I was going to post that, but thought I was the only that one that thought that.  (Wolves) 

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

It's not patronising merely emphasing the earlier point.

The point being that regimes will only change on popular opinion. If the popular opinion points towards him being wanted he will be going nowhere. 

As for right and wrong nobody will know this till after the fact.

However we know this is the way we are going to go about things. Constantly attacking him will do no good to achieving these goals other than wind yourself up and focus on what's going wrong instead of what's going right.

So you want to emphasis the point that just the popularist opinion is they way to go because you know that happens, in otherwords, everybody follows the "majority view" when they make decisions.

So my opinion is therefore wrong because "thats not how humans work"

If you had to make decisions in your own company or as a director or ownership, you'd be out of business before the first tax returns were due.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

So you want to emphasis the point that just the popularist opinion is they way to go because you know that happens, in otherwords, everybody follows the "majority view" when they make decisions.

If you had to make decisions in your own company or as a director or ownership, you'd be out of business before the first tax returns were due.

I'm not trying to answer for @Nigel

However, what I will say, on a personal level, is that Bruce is not going to be sacked before mid-to-late September at the absolute earliest, and if we all have to read 30-40 posts per day begging for him to be relieved of his duties every day for the next five months or so it's going to be one long-ass summer. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not trying to answer for @Nigel.   

However, what I will say, on a personal level, is that Bruce is not going to be sacked before mid-to-late September at the absolute earliest,  

This is exactly what I want to avoid

the never ending cycle of

Sack manager in Sep/Oct - new manager fails for rest of season - give him a preseason - sack manager in Sep/Oct......rinse & repeat

So

Sack manager once season is nathematically over

Jan <-> March

give manager till end of season & preseason to hit the ground running for next.

Sacking in Sep/Oct just puts too much pressure on new manager (Promotion God Bruce even crumbled) to save the season with no margin for error

Edited by Grasshopper

9 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

This is exactly what I want to avoid

the never ending cycle of

Sack manager in Sep/Oct - new manager fails for rest of season - give him a preseason - sack manager in Sep/Oct......rinse & repeat

So

Sack manager once season is nathematically over

Jan <-> March

give manager till end of season & preseason to hit the ground running for next.

Sacking in Sep/Oct just puts too much pressure on new manager (Promotion God Bruce even crumbled) to save the season with no margin for error

Sure. You're welcome to believe that, you can argue it on here, you could spray paint it on the side of an old train carriage if you want. I don't even disagree; if you have serious doubts about a manager you shouldn't let them spend a ton of money and get a low-quality pre-season in. However, the board of Villa don't have doubts about Bruce. The bottom line is he isn't getting sacked before several games into next season, barring some unforeseen scandal or whatever. 

Anyway, we're going OT, we shouldn't turn this into Bruce v2.0. v1.0 is bad enough. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Norwich played us off the park.....as did QPR for long spells.

I wouldn't say Norwich played us off the park. They had a lot of the ball but did nothing with it and Johnstone only had a couple of shots to save. We had a Hourihane header off the bar, a good save from Hogan's shot and Kodjia's chance which went just wide as well as the two goals we scored.

QPR was more of a struggle but even then it was more a case of us sitting back at 60 minutes in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Lol I do run my own business, but that has as much do do with this as when you called me patronising earlier.

you talk about majority views as if they are a bad thing, as if they have been arrived at by some mass herd....now that is the definition of patronising!

most have arrived at this point by looking at the evidence provided and decided for themselves that this is the correct way to go, at least in the short term...and see how things go. This will evolve over time too.

i personally think this is the right way to go, further more I think attacking this regime at every opportunity won't help much with where we want to get. 

38 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Norwich played us off the park.....as did QPR for long spells.

Must have been watching two completely differently games as I saw them do nothing with the ball. QPR did not play us off the park either. The only team that battered us was wolves 

• Like 1

I know it is very much clutching at straws and I know that neither the EFL or PL will be keen to potentially block Reading's promotion prospects but I overheard on Talksport yesterday that Reading's potential takeover by Dai Yongee & Dai Xiu Li might pose a threat to their being promoted given their attempt to buy Hull was blocked by the PL last year. 

No doubt they will drag out the takeover deal until the play-off's are done rather than to try to push it through straight away but if not, without any bias at all on my part I do hope they make an early decision and have the team ending the season 7th (us) qualify for the play-off's in their place! ;) 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, John said:

I know it is very much clutching at straws and I know that neither the EFL or PL will be keen to potentially block Reading's promotion prospects but I overheard on Talksport yesterday that Reading's potential takeover by Dai Yongee & Dai Xiu Li might pose a threat to their being promoted given their attempt to buy Hull was blocked by the PL last year. 

No doubt they will drag out the takeover deal until the play-off's are done rather than to try to push it through straight away but if not, without any bias at all on my part I do hope they make an early decision and have the team ending the season 7th (us) qualify for the play-off's in their place! ;) 

Haha, very nice straw clutching :thumb: Our problem is we're nearly as far from 7th as we are from 6th :(

• Like 1

I think todays results show that even if we had beaten Burton we would have no chance of making it to the play offs. 

• Like 1