The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think todays results show that even if we had beaten Burton we would have no chance of making it to the play offs. 

Agreed, was completely unrealistic. But we can be so close to 8th if we win tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think todays results show that even if we had beaten Burton we would have no chance of making it to the play offs. 

Deffo, the rdm results and Jan/Feb made it an almost impossible task. 

At least we turned our results around and appear more difficult to beat. 

Next season should be ours for the taking

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think our own results in January & February show that we had no chance of making the play offs. It was clutching at claret & blue straws to think otherwise.

2 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

I think our own results in January & February show that we had no chance of making the play offs. It was clutching at claret & blue straws to think otherwise.

Totally but at least the team began to gel, picking up points, not conceding and giving us all a little (false) hope whilst bringing back a feel good factor that's been missing longer than Karen Brady's innocence. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't understand why being `close to 8th' would mean anything to anyone.

Couldn't disagree more!

Getting inside the top 10 from the position we were in (both league wise and psychologically) would be massive for us next season!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't understand why being `close to 8th' would mean anything to anyone.

Would you prefer we finished 20th? Finishing 8th after being in 19th or so when bruce arrived for me is a real good achievement and makes me feel optimistic  for the next season

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

So if we finished 18th you would feel the same as if we finished 8th? I may be in the minority, which is fine I can handle it, but if at the end of last season someone had said we will finish in the top half I would've taken that. 

I think sometimes some forget what a pathetic excuse for a football club we'd become. I wanted us to go straight back up but didn't think it was a must. 

Again I might be in the minority but I'm quite content with where we are right now and extremely confident that next season will be a very good season for Aston Villa. 

UTV

Spot on, sir! This season has also been disappointing, frustrating and on occasions even upsetting, but 'content' (for now, with all things considered), is the only reasonable conclusion.

By contrast with the preceding 5 years, I no longer feel embarrassed, humiliated or depressed because there clearly is a plan and some real hope that we can achieve something again. That's is what was missing and was why we were so desperately bad.

No amount of denial, or wishful thinking was ever going to help us recover from the cancer that had taken root... instead, it was always going to take time, care and attention. In many ways, the recovery has been remarkable, but most of all, I'm just bloody relieved we didn't die because we were most definitely on our last legs.

Short memories indeed.

• Like 2

Actually looking forward to next season, if you think about it we have been pretty poor from the start of the season with a lot of draws with the icing on the cake being the poor form in January but we have improved so much since. Can't see us being this bad next season and no doubt we will strengthen further in the summer, next season will be a very good season for us I am sure of it providing nothing disastrous happens. A good pre season and some good signings this summer under Bruce and we are halfway there in my opinion. it's a shame we didn't do it this season but it's probably but for the best long term as I think we would struggle if we were to go up this season. 

• Like 1

That Middlesbo team is absolute rubbish a 2nd has a number of our ex players who have proven they are actual shit.

Next season I don't think Sunderland and Boro are going to be threats like Newcastle and Brighton have been this year. Swansea maybe as could hull.

I think derby and Leeds will also be a threat next season.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That Middlesbo team is absolute rubbish a 2nd has a number of our ex players who have proven they are actual shit.

Next season I don't think Sunderland and Boro are going to be threats like Newcastle and Brighton have been this year. Swansea maybe as could hull.

I think derby and Leeds will also be a threat next season.

If Middlesbrough get a good manager in they could be a threat.  They have a few championship ready players. Gestede could be a big player for them next season.

Hull or Swansea could cause problems if one of them get relegated.  More likely Hull to be fair.  

Next season will be tougher than this season.

Sunderland,Boro, Derby,Huddersfield, Leeds,Wednesday, Reading ,Fulham, Forest,Norwich, Hull or Swansea.

They will be looking towards top 6 and above next season 

8 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

If Middlesbrough get a good manager in they could be a threat.  They have a few championship ready players. Gestede could be a big player for them next season.

Hull or Swansea could cause problems if one of them get relegated.  More likely Hull to be fair.  

Sunderland,Boro, Derby,Huddersfield, Leeds,Wednesday, Reading ,Fulham, Forest,Norwich, Hull or Swansea.

Forest? No chance. Huddessfield I can't see having another season like this so they have to go up this year thus us best chance. Reading are a average team in my opinion, just had a huge advantage over us with our start. I think Wednesday or Fulham are going up so one if them we don't have yo worry about. 

Sunderland are in as big a mess as we were.

8 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I'd imagine that Gestede would be a big player for any club! ;)

To be fair, you could probably add Brentford to that list of top 6 challengers. They're having a good season and will have the Hogan money to spend this summer. QPR might be better too with Holloway in charge.

Sheffield Utd have been awesome this season and look like reaching the 100 points total. That's a very good season at any level and if they add further quality to that team they might just be up there for the top 6 too. 

It's going to be a tough season again and we just have to hope that we are better prepared and are firing on all cylinders straight from the first kick-off. 

And tbh it didn't get much tougher than having two really strong sides like Newcastle and Brighton and none of the sides highlighted are as string as them.yes some really good sides but not much better than us

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Forest? No chance. Huddessfield I can't see having another season like this so they have to go up this year thus us best chance. Reading are a average team in my opinion, just had a huge advantage over us with our start. I think Wednesday or Fulham are going up so one if them we don't have yo worry about. 

Sunderland are in as big a mess as we were.

I think they have the potential to be better next season lol.  Plus they have a good manager that knows how to set the team up. This league is very unpredictable and I personally feel that it would predictable to assume forest would be crap next season.

I agree with you about Reading. I don't think they're anything special. 

Villa derby and Leeds will be the ones to watch for in my opinion next  season - not worried who comes down .

i think Fulham will go up in the play offs this season .

Edited by Eastie

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Villa derby and Leeds will be the ones to watch for in my opinion next  season - not worried who comes down .

i think Fulham will go up in the play offs this season .

Yeah this is how I see it. I think Swansea/hull whoever comes down will be up there. I think brentford could be a suprise package as well.