On 1/13/2017 at 18:35, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

-------------- Johnstone --------------

Bree -- Chester -- Baker -- Amavi

------------------Jedinak ---------------

---------Lansbrini -- Hourihane ----

Adomah ----------------------- Brady

----------------- Kodjia ----------------

Bench: Bunn, Bacuna, Elphick, Tshibola, Grealish, Ayew, McCormack

If we can get those two midfielders in asap, then it gives us the rest of the window to try for Bree and Brady (or alternatives).  That would give us (on paper) an absolutely cracking side and an incredibly strong bench (ignoring the fact that a couple of them might go)!  Plus it also means we wouldn't need Hutton, Westwood or Gardner in the match day squad, now wouldn't that be nice!

Apologies for quoting myself, but this was my ideal line-up from 13 days ago when we'd signed none of these players... I'll be honest, at that point I only expected Lansbury (we were well along with that signing by then).  I thought Hourihane was going to be tough with Barnsley having just sold Sam Winnall and the other two would be long shots with bigger teams coming in for them.  

Regardless that it's Bjarnason that's come in, rather than Brady, you really have to applaud Tony and the club for getting these players in, and so quickly.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

money wise we won't be though.

FFP will be hindering us as our parachute payments drop and sponsorships get remewed for smaller values.

The 3 teams coming down won't have these issues.

It will be harder next year imo. 

it depends on who comes down

Hull - no competition

Sunderland - No competition

Swansea/Palace - no way

if we dont go up we should be praying for Brighton Champs Toon 2nd Leeds playoffs

20 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that with Johnstone, Bree, Lansbury, Hourihane and Bjarnason, this is the sexiest transfer window we've ever had. 

I remember the window with Ayew , Veretout ,Amavi , Gueye ,Traore ,Gestede , Lescott and Crespo !!  .. and how we would challenge for Europe :(

• Like 2

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I remember the window with Ayew , Veretout ,Amavi , Gueye ,Traore ,Gestede , Lescott and Crespo !!  .. and how we would challenge for Europe :(

Oh yeah, but I'm actually talking about how good looking the players are.

• Like 4

Yay! This is all looking promising. I am going to go with the assumption that we can't possibly have a third window in two years that initally seems excellent but turns out to be awful. This one has surely got to work... hasn't it?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ender4 said:

money wise we won't be though.

FFP will be hindering us as our parachute payments drop and sponsorships get remewed for smaller values.

The 3 teams coming down won't have these issues.

It will be harder next year imo. 

Why? Our squad for next year is already in place bar a few ins and outs. We could sell Amavi Ayew and Ross in the summer and have £30m+ to spend to replace 1 1st team position and a couple of squad players. We have a cracking chance to go on a run for the playoffs. If we fail we will have a team good enough to win the league next year. Ourselves and Norwich have shown that relegated teams will struggle to adapt and looking at those likely to come down none will be a bigger attraction to any signings we want. Let's enjoy these signings for now. We still have 5 days to go and I expect more to happen. 

• Like 1