January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

27 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Even better is if Hourihane does even better here he'll leave for a huge profit.

Just on that, Barnsley do have a sell-on clause.

Conor made it clear to the board that he saw the move as an opportunity to further his career and he wanted to pursue the move.  Under these circumstances, and considering that Conor’s contract was coming to an end in the Summer where he could transfer for free, the Club respected that decision and reluctantly allowed him to move on for a significant fee and sell-on.

• Like 2

Pretty damning evidence that our midfield recruitment during the summer was a total misjudgement when we are forced to buy an entirely new midfield in January.

Sad thing is it was totally obvious that this was the case, and thanks to it our season is probably beyond salvage.

Still, I'm really impressed by our resolve and business in this window.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Derryvillan said:

Burnley mid Dean Marney out for rest of season.Didnt they want Westwood in the summer.:ph34r:

Hull also has some holes in midfield with Snodgrass possibly leaving and Mason & Henriksen with long term injuries.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Is the 51% still 51%  ? - Or was he one of the ones that signed ?

Wasn't 51% our surprise Viking?  The fiddy% is someone else...hopefully it'll progress quickly like Berserker rather than a drawn out like O'Hourihane.

23 minutes ago, BOF said:

Just on that, Barnsley do have a sell-on clause.

They are wise to.

This guy seems like a real talent and the Barnsley fans seem to think he's some once in a generation kind of talent.

It's wise for them to claim some of our potential future profits as their own.

I hope we never sell him, but as Spurs are seeing with Dele Alli some fee's being thrown around just can't be turned down. 

23 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Seeing an awful lot of comments about what fantastic business we've done, how we've bought players who will be worth zillions, what a great job the board have done etc.

And I would stress fine, if that's how someone feels.

IMO that's why, a little further down the line, there is so much dissappointmdnt and anger directed at the players.

People were by and large very pleased with our summer spending, other than recognising there was more to do, yet very quickly Elphick, Gollini, Jedi, Tish, and McCormack and even Kodja have been often complained about, and their and the others character questioned pretty intensely.

I even remember when we bought Westwood that Crewes fans rated him highly.

As yet we have no real idea how well they will do, or their real levels of ability, and certainly not their 'character'.

So for me, I am pleased the Manager had been backed with what he thinks we need, impressed we've secured what appear to be decent players in the notoriously difficult window, and as most people always excited when new players come.

I will hang fire on the more celebratory stuff and keep my expectations at a low level however until I see how it goes. They are Championship players after all we aren't signing Ronaldo

And will be less likely to knock them later,

giphy.gif

• Like 2

This transfer window has been the most entertaining part of being a Villa fan since, well, the last transfer window - and it's not even finished with yet! 

Terrytini, PLEASE stop trying to bring us back into the world of reality. :(

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Seeing an awful lot of comments about what fantastic business we've done, how we've bought players who will be worth zillions, what a great job the board have done etc.

And I would stress fine, if that's how someone feels.

IMO that's why, a little further down the line, there is so much dissappointmdnt and anger directed at the players.

People were by and large very pleased with our summer spending, other than recognising there was more to do, yet very quickly Elphick, Gollini, Jedi, Tish, and McCormack and even Kodja have been often complained about, and their and the others character questioned pretty intensely.

I even remember when we bought Westwood that Crewes fans rated him highly.

As yet we have no real idea how well they will do, or their real levels of ability, and certainly not their 'character'.

So for me, I am pleased the Manager had been backed with what he thinks we need, impressed we've secured what appear to be decent players in the notoriously difficult window, and as most people always excited when new players come.

I will hang fire on the more celebratory stuff and keep my expectations at a low level however until I see how it goes. They are Championship players after all we aren't signing Ronaldo

And will be less likely to knock them later,

Quite right. I am happy with some of our signings, but some of the comments about the best transfer window ever are a bit over the top in my opinion. Hopefully these signings are the starting blocks and foundations to move us back in the right direction. There is still a long way to go before this squad is a decent mid table PL team, but I am more hopeful than I was at the beginning of January..

• Like 2

I think the difference is with 3 of these signings Hourihane, Bree and Lansbury is that their previous clubs did not want to sell.

Jedinek, Elphick even Adomah were surplus to requirements elsewhere.

Any transfer is a gamble but the vast majority are happy with the business done so Tony and Bruce have played a blinder.

I hope we are all patient enough to let them figure out each other's game.

I can't criticise them at this stage just as I couldn't criticise them last summer. Tony is backing the manager and that is all you can ask for really.

I hope for his and our sake this works out and we get promoted sooner rather than later but being a realist this probably won't happen until next season. I think under Tony we have an owner that so far has proven he will do whatever it will take to reach the PL again and in Bruce we have an manager who knows what it takes. If this doesn't work, we should all give up on football.

• Like 1

Everything after this is just gravy.  The more outs we can shift the better, as they'll have been deemed surplus by Bruce so that's OK.  I kind of expect a striker to come in, although I bet we'll sell one as well in that situation.  All in all we're well set up for the remainder of the season, and chasing down those pesky Owls :) 

1 hour ago, sne said:

Pretty damning evidence that our midfield recruitment during the summer was a total misjudgement when we are forced to buy an entirely new midfield in January.

Sad thing is it was totally obvious that this was the case, and thanks to it our season is probably beyond salvage.

Still, I'm really impressed by our resolve and business in this window.

Really damming that all RDM thought would improve the midfield was a kid from Reading who'd played less than 20 pro games.

I know he signed Jedinak aswell but he didn't come until 5 games into the season.

I'm very pleased SB has quickly and correctly identified this is our major weakness.

We now have a midfield capable of dominating the opposition at this level so quite excited to see how we set up from now on.

Jedinak won't be a week in week out starter but they'll still be games when he's needed.

Won't shock me if SB plays a midfield diamond.

• Like 2